What's new

What's a good "first" fragrance?

What's a good first frag that can be had relatively cheaply (say $25 and under) that can be found easily? I'd like to find a good fall/winter frag, or something other than a cool water type of thing. Since I'm new to the fragrance game, I find it overwhelming smelling all of the choices so I need a little guidance. Are there any good frags to be had at Walmart's? I'd like to be able to smell before I buy but I suppose if it's necessary, I can order decanters...seems with all the selections that Wally's has, there has to be something descent there?

Grey Flannel is one to try if you haven't yet. It has a reputation for being a love-it-or-hat-it kind of fragrance. Also, I would suggest Tabac Original for you to try.

There are lots of good choices to be had at Wally World: you could start out with some of the classic fragrances that have stood the test of time: Canoe, English Leather, British Sterling, Stetson, Halston Z-14, and Paul Sebastian (sort of like a more upscale Old Spice). I personally am a big fan of Tim Mcgraw's fragrances: Mcgraw, and Mcgraw Southern Blend; I have not tried his newest Soul 2 Soul. Mcgraw Silver is sort of your run of the mill aquatic/ sport fragrance, and nothing special.

You might also take a gander at some of the classic aftershaves like Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva (Ice Blue, and Musk), Old Spice (comes in aftershave, and cologne) and Brut.

Last edited:
Further, a couple of often overlooked places for value minded fragrances are your local Avon, and Bath and Body Works stores. Avon stocks a pretty nice selection of men's colognes, and some like Wild Country, and Black Suede have been on the market for a long long time. Bath and Body Works has 6 fragrances in their Signature Men's Collection, and they are $30 for 3.4oz. If you get them during a buy one get one free sales, they are a steal at $15 per 3.4oz bottle!! I especially like the Oak.

Some Bath and Body Works also stock the C.O. Bigelow line of colognes which are $20 for 2.5 oz.

Last edited:
I'm currently using Halston Z-14 that was PIF'd by my cousin. great musky woody scent, very manly. the ladies love it at work. it lingers but not in a very strong sense. subtle. I'm so glad I found this as I will be getting more. It's cheap so I use it often - keep it in the car.

Azzaro pH can often be found at a deep discount and is an excellent agrance at any price. I agree with John that the B&BW fragrances are good values. I like the Oak and the Citron.

Mike

Old Spice, ..............JR

Old Spice is available in multiple scents. The "classic" Old Spice sold as an aftershave, and cologne, and "fresh", "smooth blast", and "pure sport" which are all sold as aftershave. Locally I can only find the Classic, and Fresh versions.

Last edited:
If one wants to go into the "ultra value" arena, I stopped by Perfumania two weekends ago, and scored Cuba Red, Orange, Blue, and Gold on sale for $4 each for 1.7oz. The fragrances come in a bottle that looks like a cigar. It seems Perfumania is always having a sale, so this pricing is probably not out of the ordinary.

So far I have tried the Blue, Red, and Orange, and I am greatly liking them all. Each of them is patterned after a popular (and vastly more expensive) cologne:

According to "jakespoppy" the break down is the following:

Cuba Red - Burberry London (Cuba Red is not quite as sweet and a little more spicy)
Cuba Gold = Le Male (Cuba Gold is smoother, lasts longer and is generally considered better)
Cuba Blue = CK One and Azzaro Chrome
Cuba Orange = Rochas Lui and/or Dunhill Desire
Cuba Black = Tuscany Uomo and/or Azzaro pour Homme
Cuba Green = Escape
Cuba Gray = Eternity

Stetson and Aspen can both be found at Walmart, and are both excellent frags at any price even though both are under $25, and are quite different so you would have a good variety between the two. Stetson is a warm, sweet vanilla type scent, and Aspen is a piney, woodsy scent.

Grey Flannel is one to try if you haven't yet. It has a reputation for being a love-it-or-hat-it kind of fragrance. Also, I would suggest Tabac Original for you to try.
I second the Tabac original.
Usually available cheap on Amazon.com.

I'm currently using Halston Z-14 that was PIF'd by my cousin. great musky woody scent, very manly. the ladies love it at work. it lingers but not in a very strong sense. subtle. I'm so glad I found this as I will be getting more. It's cheap so I use it often - keep it in the car.

Z-14 is possibly one of the best fragrances ever, it can be used when attending casual or formal events and yes, the women really love it.

I second the Tabac original.
Usually available cheap on Amazon.com.

I love Tabac, but I'm 53 and most younger men, 20's to mid 30's, may find this too "old" for them.

It depends how old you are. I know that my nephews wouldn't be particularly fond of most of the ones mentioned above (though they are both extremely fond of Cuba Gold).

So many scents that are put out by credible designers don't sell well and wind up being heavily discounted from their original high prices after a couple of years. I think some of them are very good to great. What you have to avoid are the cheap $25 ones that were only ever put out at that price by "designers" you've never heard of - the ones that sit next to Lomani scents in counters (they are cheap, and smell cheap to experienced noses - and most women have experienced noses).

Read the "Spotted at Marshalls" thread at the Basenotes Masculine Fragrance Discussion and you'll get a good idea of fairly good recent scents going cheap at Marshalls. Or if you see some interesting ones at Walmart look them up at the Basenotes Fragrance Directory or at Fragrantica, see when they were made, and read some of the reviews (the Fragrantica reviews tend to be more focused on real life usage, whereas the Basenotes ones often trash scents for not being artistic or original enough).

I can't help you with any specific scent for under $25, as I live in Australia, and we seem to have different scents going cheap down here than what you have. That said, the Beckham scents are always dirt cheap here, and I think most of them are pretty good and long lasting - though they often smell like a slightly different version of other scents.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
Grey Flannel is one to try if you haven't yet. It has a reputation for being a love-it-or-hat-it kind of fragrance.

Grey Flannel is one of my favorite scents. My wife hates it and thinks that it makes me smell "like an old guy." I said that there's nothing wrong with that.

... she ended up winning the argument.

Top Bottom