What's new

What's a good Den size?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey All, fairly new to DE razors but got the bug. Was going to build myself a brass and wood rack to house my razors/stands but realized to build it, I need to come to a decision on what I should limit my den size to (currently only using 3). My original thinking was to build a 6 spot rack. Which would give me a couple to rotate through and a couple for specific situations. But then again 10 is a nice round number and gives me more room to grow... Hahahah. Definitely a slippery slope. How many users have you guys settled on in your den?
My den fits in the edge of my sink. Razor, brush, Arko stick and bottle of AS.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have two brushes so that one can be drying while the other is in use. Except for handle color they are identical. I have the same soap in two scents. I have a DE razor with two handles and two plates and probably around 150 blades. I use cologne as aftershave and have five scents. Lastly, an old Altoids tin for old blades.

In the meantime, my wife and I were discussing what kind of house we would build if we ever won the lottery.

She wanted a craft room for her yarn stuff and I wanted a lounge with a sink, a leather chair, bookshelves, and plenty of room to display my shaving stuff which is currently around 30 razors, 20 brushes and 20 some soaps.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
What are the dimensions of your bathroom....:thumbup: That should just about do it.
1434744792-boat.gif

I think we're gonna need a bigger bathroom

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey All, fairly new to DE razors but got the bug. Was going to build myself a brass and wood rack to house my razors/stands but realized to build it, I need to come to a decision on what I should limit my den size to (currently only using 3). My original thinking was to build a 6 spot rack. Which would give me a couple to rotate through and a couple for specific situations. But then again 10 is a nice round number and gives me more room to grow... Hahahah. Definitely a slippery slope. How many users have you guys settled on in your den?
Dopp Kit

My den started out as a corner of my bathroom sink, big enough to accommodate a couple of shaving bowls, razor stands, brushes, and a few razors. I store others in a display case in another room and swap them out once a week or so. The den can stay small yet grow in variety.

If I could start over....
Razors : max 3 of the same style (DE/SE/SR etc)
Blades : the best for each razor I would have
Brushes : 3 (1 boar, 1 badger, 1 synthetic)
Soaps : 1 of each MdC scents
AS splash : at least one per soap
AS balms : 1 ( Nivea)
Witch Hazel : 2 ( one thayers unscented and one Lucky Tiger)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The sad reality is that whatever size you start with will eventually be slightly over-filled. My bathroom was on the outside wall of the house before we added an addition. I build shelves to fill the space where the window was. I have a wall cabinet next to that, along with the medicine cabinet. They're all full.

It's like asking how many closets do you need? One more than you have.

IDeal you would make the complete wall 15cm deep closet sliding doors mirrored with ambient lights etc but I think most partners think one soap, razor, brush and as else it is taking up to much space for his/hers whatever’s….

What is the perfect size? Just one more than what you have. That next purchase will satisfy any desire for anything else.

1. If you look at your den and you're happy with it. It's a good size.
2. If you look at your den and you think something is missing, add it to the den. Start back at 1.
3. If you look at your den and you think it's too much, sell/PIF/trade something. Start back at 1.

Be aware that 2 has some traps and potential boss monster encounters. 3 can help with those, sometimes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wear the pants in THIS family (I actually have my lovely bride's permission to type that) and here is MY rule of thumb about Den size:

It's as big as she sez it can be! True story doggone!

Rofl even as a single i am a bit limited due to the fact mine is under the roof and most sides are therefore tilted. And it is narrow so you do not want racks there either.

Top Bottom