What's new

Whatever happened to the Artaunon whetstone?

I think @musicman980 has one, but there doesn’t seem to be much info about them generally.

I imagine the ones that were sold recently were a kinda one-off, rather than being actually really commercially quarried and cut. So they’re probably just not going to be available again, and not many people have them (?)

It’s an interesting whetstone in a petrological sense though. On paper quartzite has the potential to be pretty much unrivalled as a sharpening stone, and yet it’s almost never used for them.* I’m not certain why, but I imagine it’s incredibly difficult to find quartzites that work for it in terms of structure, closeness of bond and uniformity of grit...

* Turkish Oilstones have some quartzite character to them imo.

Reactions: Nik
I think @musicman980 has one, but there doesn’t seem to be much info about them generally.
I did have one a while ago, but its changed hands at least twice now. There don't seem to be many around anymore, and they had a little excitement in the community years ago. It was such a hard stone, and as a novice honer I just couldn't seem to make it work. I wish I knew who had that artuanon now, because I would be interested in hearing their thoughts on it.

Hatzicho talked about it when I bought a schwedenstein from him I think and it seemed really interesting.

did the Wade and Butcher remake also not happen?

Top Bottom