What's new

What yrs did they go to the heavier flare tips?

I've got a B2 Flaretip that is much heavier-duty than the regular flaretips, but is identical to them otherwise. It is the only one I have and I have a load of flaretips.

How long did they produce this heavier model? The Wiki mentions there were two variations of the Flaretip, but doesn't elaborate. I assume this heavier version is the second variant.

I've considered I have a red-tip, but I've never seen a red tip with literally 100% of the red gone. I really don't think that is it.:wink2:

I've got a B2 Flaretip that is much heavier-duty than the regular flaretips, but is identical to them otherwise. It is the only one I have and I have a load of flaretips.

How long did they produce this heavier model? The Wiki mentions there were two variations of the Flaretip, but doesn't elaborate. I assume this heavier version is the second variant.

I've considered I have a red-tip, but I've never seen a red tip with literally 100% of the red gone. I really don't think that is it.:wink2:

I wouldn't say they are heavier duty. They are just a little slimmer at the tip and a tad longer. The earlier version is the heavier one. I've attached a pic I shot in a jiffy

ive got an A1 flare tip that is just as aggressive as the A4 redtip (both 1955) i recently sold to a fellow BnB member. The shave from both was for me identical.

That A1 flare will prob go on BST soon for a darn good price.

The B2 flaretip is actually the "regular" or "original" flair tip. It was made in the 1950's. Here's a good place for razor date identification: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/US_Gillette_Dating_Information#1950-1986_.28letter_codes.29

You can discern the 50's and 60's flair tips based on the TTO knob. 50's flairtips will have two rings on the knob, whereas the 60's tips will have no rings around the knob.

In a comparison of the two, many actually prefer the 50's style flair tip (but of course, YMMV is the rule). I can say however, that in the 60's, gillette changed the way they manufactured the flair tips - i believe they added a ring to the TTO knob? - which results in some rattling that you can hear.

ive got an A1 flare tip that is just as aggressive as the A4 redtip (both 1955) i recently sold to a fellow BnB member. The shave from both was for me identical.

That A1 flare will prob go on BST soon for a darn good price.

My first vintage razor was the G1 (1960) flair tip and I actually found it very mild (but smooth). I've also heard that the 50's flair tips were much more aggressive. I recently purchased a red tip from GreekGuy and found it to be much more aggressive than the 60's flair and gave way better shaves. (Again, YMMV).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The 1956 B2 I'm referring to has two rings in the TTO. It is a full 11 grams heavier than the regular 50s style SS Flare from just a couple years later (also with the two rings in TTO).

I just weighed it in at 67 grams, which matches exactly the red tip weight (I checked a red tip of mine). I'm beginning to think it is possible it is a red tip with absolutely 0% red left in the tip. That would explain the size, characteristics and build.

[...] in the 60's, gillette changed the way they manufactured the flair tips - i believe they added a ring to the TTO knob? - which results in some rattling that you can hear.
I can hear that nuisance rattling in my '66 ss, and I wondered what it is. Do you have any visuals that show this ring? I haven't been able to see what it is that's rattling. Thanks.

It is indeed a Red Tip--that is my conclusion based on the checkerboard knurling and the weight. Sorry for the false alarm, folks!

Top Bottom