What's new

What your favourite soda pop?

It's local to Michigan, but if you're ever out my way I'll treat you all to a Vernor's ginger ale. Nothing quite like it. Makes you cough if you breathe it in whilst tipping the glass!

I thought it was faygo rock & rye

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
FarmerTan just gave me a pretty big scare. Born in Detroit and now live in Denver. Vernor's was something we always got when we went to Grandma's. Through the years it has been a go to occasionally for a comfort particularly when stomachs are not 100%. When I saw the invite to sample some via FarmerTan's hospitality I thought for a moment that I had lost my mind and perhaps been partaking of Canada Dry or some-it-else. Thankfully I checked the soda pop section of my local grocery store... Imagine my relief!

View attachment 1099244
Hey! Now I can move in with you when I'm in trouble with the War Department!

FarmerTan

I thought it was faygo rock & rye

proxy.php
That particular "pop" is my favorite Faygo! But Royal Crown is my true favorite. Pepsi beats Coca Cola by a nose for me.

I have cut my "pop" intake considerably tho. Just empty calories turning my midsection from a six pack to a pony keg!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hey! Now I can move in with you when I'm in trouble with the War Department!

The basement is essentially a "Mother in Law's Apartment" so should the need arise...

That being said I reckon you are a handful and the LOTH might not stand for it for an extended period of time and we might both wind up baching it eventually.

FarmerTan

The basement is essentially a "Mother in Law's Apartment" so should the need arise...

That being said I reckon you are a handful and the LOTH might not stand for it for an extended period of time and we might both wind up baching it eventually.
Lol'd at that! Oh, she's meaner than Bubba Smith, but you'd probably rather have her come along when I crash at yer place because she's just about the only person that keeps me house broken!

Ok. First of all, I'm a Coca Cola guy. I don't like Pepsi. Too sweet as far as I'm concerned. Some other sodas (I never use the word pop when talking about soda) I like are A&W Root Beer, Stewart's Cream Soda and Orange Crush. I don't drink much soda these days as I'm an aging, balding fat slob who needs to lose about 40 pounds. When i drink carbonated it's usually lemon/lime seltzer.

That particular "pop" is my favorite Faygo! But Royal Crown is my true favorite. Pepsi beats Coca Cola by a nose for me.

I have cut my "pop" intake considerably tho. Just empty calories turning my midsection from a six pack to a pony keg!

I have not had a soft drink in years.

Now my (non alcoholic) drink of choice is my own version of Posca

Dublin Dr. Pepper (posthumous award)
Dublin Dr. Pepper was very good, but I discovered it right before it disappeared about 10 or 15 years ago. There was a documentary about it on Netflix or Amazon Prime that explained what happened to it. Very sad story.

Anyway, back to the topic. Mainsteam favorite soda was Coca-Cola. Unfortunately it was never the same after the 1985 New Coke debacle and the introduction of (not) Classic Coke. Lately I've greatly reduced my soda intake so I no longer really care.

These days if I'm looking to treat myself I buy Materva yerba mate soda. Years ago I had some Cuban coworkers who introduced it to me. Apparently it's popular in their communities.

IMG_1943.JPG

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I don't drink soda any more but when I did my go to was Sprite. When our second child was born in February they brought me one of those baby sprite cans with my wifes meal. I figured it was a special occasion and cracked it open and took one sip and wanted to spit it out. Guess I just lost my taste for it.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Coca-Cola in a glass bottle, hecho en Mexico.

Same here when I can get it, when not I'll settle for the 'Merican version with high fructose corn syrup.

Also since I'm in North Cackalacky now I've learned to appreciate Cheerwine in the glass bottle.

1589383025535.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I am quite certain that the old Coke was much less sweet than that of today. I also seem to have lost my taste for it.

You are correct sir, this is due to the high fructose corn syrup which gives it a sweeter taste than regular sugar. After the new Coke "debacle" that @Neil-O mentioned, when they brought back the "classic" formula they didn't bring it back entirely, as they substituted high fructose corn syrup as the sweetener. Thus conspiracy theories abound that the entire fiasco was engineered on purpose since the real agenda was to take advantage of the cost savings due to subsides given to corn farmers, etc. etc.

In the last few years there's been a growing appetite for the "hispter" versions of sodas made with real sugar. If you do a side by side taste comparison you will find them not as sweet as the regular versions. As a general rule, many of the sodas you see in glass bottles are sweetened with sugar - Pepsi, Mt Dew, Cheerwine, Dr Pepper, et al. are doing it, as are many of the "craft" sodas you see in 4 packs in the supermarket. However, this is not true of coke, the smaller 6 or 8 ounce glass ones are corn syrup, you've got to get the taller 12 oz or bigger ones bottled in Mexico.....

Last edited:
Coca-Cola for me. Nothing like it. I used to guzzle Sun-Drop like there was no tomorrow. I really don’t drink sodas too often these days.

Or more like turning your midsection from a six pack to a one pack.

It's local to Michigan, but if you're ever out my way I'll treat you all to a Vernor's ginger ale. Nothing quite like it. Makes you cough if you breathe it in whilst tipping the glass!

We have Vernor's out here in AZ. Works well with Bourbon! To me, it has more flavor than Canada Dry.

1589394509013.png
1589394527207.png

Top Bottom