What's new

What your favourite soda pop?

I no longer drink soft drinks but my all time favorite was A&W draft root beer.
A&W In the big heavy frosted glass at the A&W sodashop. Oh man. We had one in my small town. If you're old enough to remember that as a kid, you know what soda was born to be. A real root-beer soda, when you were a junior-high student, served to you by the highschool girl you had a crush on? Man. One of life's great experiences. ;-) I would go there regularly just for the chance to talk to... well, I'll obscure their names (they're Senior citizens now, so it makes little difference, but out of respect) Initials CZ and TW. I spent my allowance to gaze into their eyes for brief moments. Haha.

Pennsylvania Dutch birch beer. Since I was a kid, my family has been going to a drive-in hot dog place in Union, New Jersey. Its now called Galloping Hills Inn (GALLERY – Galloping Hot Dogs - http://www.gallopinghotdogs.com/gallery/), but locals refer to it as "Peterson's" in reference to a former owner. It's been there since 1925. As kids, we all loved the dogs and the birch beer. It's still the first place I go when I visit family in NJ, often on the way from Newark airport. These days I usually drink a Yuengling's instead a birch beer when I go to Peterson's, but I will never forget the slightly sweet taste with hints of wintergreen and licorice of this birch beer.

pennsylvania-dutch-birch-beer-label.jpg

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sparkling water for me. I like adding a squeeze of lemon or lime. Muddling some mint or rosemary or grating some fresh ginger also works very well. Even some finely ground spices can be fun.

These days, I can hardly stomach any of the sweetened soft drinks. They are just so terribly sweet. I might can sip on a ginger beer, but don't bet on it.

I drank a lot of Coke when I was younger, but I pretty much gave it up when I went to college because of cost. I was more inclined to buy beer than Coke, and water was free. Dry Kool-aid was pretty cheap, so I would sometimes keep it around.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My favorite is from Polar in Worcester, Ma. I love their Cream Soda but, the absolute best is Polar Sparkling Orange Dry (not technically a soda pop).
Polar Orange Dry is GREAT! Wish the diet version was better. Nonetheless, I'll pick up an eight-pack once-in-a-while.
Mostly, however, I drink straight, unflavored seltzer (though I did go through a diet Barq's root beer phase a few years ago).

Last edited:
Reactions: GNR
Sparkling water for me. I like adding a squeeze of lemon or lime. Muddling some mint or rosemary or grating some fresh ginger also works very well. Even some finely ground spices can be fun.

These days, I can hardly stomach any of the sweetened soft drinks. They are just so terribly sweet. I might can sip on a ginger beer, but don't bet on it.

I drank a lot of Coke when I was younger, but I pretty much gave it up when I went to college because of cost. I was more inclined to buy beer than Coke, and water was free. Dry Kool-aid was pretty cheap, so I would sometimes keep it around.
I am quite certain that the old Coke was much less sweet than that of today. I also seem to have lost my taste for it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's local to Michigan, but if you're ever out my way I'll treat you all to a Vernor's ginger ale. Nothing quite like it. Makes you cough if you breathe it in whilst tipping the glass!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
It's local to Michigan, but if you're ever out my way I'll treat you all to a Vernor's ginger ale. Nothing quite like it. Makes you cough if you breathe it in whilst tipping the glass!

FarmerTan just gave me a pretty big scare. Born in Detroit and now live in Denver. Vernor's was something we always got when we went to Grandma's. Through the years it has been a go to occasionally for a comfort particularly when stomachs are not 100%. When I saw the invite to sample some via FarmerTan's hospitality I thought for a moment that I had lost my mind and perhaps been partaking of Canada Dry or some-it-else. Thankfully I checked the soda pop section of my local grocery store... Imagine my relief!

20200512_160347_HDR.jpg

As my metabolism has slowed to a crawl soda drinking is definitely not a regular occurrence, that said there may be a secret stash of costco mexican coke, squirreled away in the house like a Wizadoodle 100 pack of blades!

the modern soda for this geezer is sparkling water, but the ( I need my sugar fix to make it through the day ), is - what originally started off as mixers - fever tree tonic waters and even their ginger beers sans the alcohol.

i tell my wife the antimalarial quinine in the tonic is keeping the Covid 19 at bay ;) ( needs more gin! )

Top Bottom