What's new

What year was told a 1930's

IMG_20190420_094704.jpg
IMG_20190420_094704.jpg
IMG_20190420_094622.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are great razors. Many class them as mild razors, I just like them. They give me good shaves.

Thanks. I saw a solid black open comb yesterday that looked interesting and am contemplating going to get it today... Same price. Thoughts?
I pick up almost any razor I can buy for less than a burger and fries. Black may may be tarnished silver, could be an OLD Type. Be sure to post pics if you do get it.

From the research I have done it is a 1930's
That's a Gillette fat-handled Tech with triangular slots, commonly known as the pre-War Tech.

Gillette history is often spotty, but in all likelihood, your fat handled razor was made between 1938 and 1941. People often claim or was made till 1945, but the war caused a metal shortage, so the ones made after about 1941 had Bakelite handles - but the same triangle slots. The '41-'45 metal had more copper, less brass, and was a bit thinner too. They also made some metal handled ones for soldiers called the Contract Tech, but the handle was a ball-end type.

The fat handled oval-slot Tech came out in 1946.

That's a Gillette fat-handled Tech with triangular slots, commonly known as the pre-War Tech.

Gillette history is often spotty, but in all likelihood, your fat handled razor was made between 1938 and 1941. People often claim or was made till 1945, but the war caused a metal shortage, so the ones made after about 1941 had Bakelite handles - but the same triangle slots. The '41-'45 metal had more copper, less brass, and was a bit thinner too. They also made some metal handled ones for soldiers called the Contract Tech, but the handle was a ball-end type.

The fat handled oval-slot Tech came out in 1946.
thanks and yeah we found out 1938... thanks for your input though.....

To clarify, you found out the razor was 1938-45 and I corrected that to 1938-41. You’re welcome
yes you said that but the shop and i had also already determined the year and i was just asking others if they thought the same and you said the time frame so then we knew we were right so like i said before Thank You.

Top Bottom