What's new

What year is this Ever-Ready single-edged razor from?

Hello,

Today I was in an antique store and found this razor bundled with four other razors and I was wondering what year this was from. I know that it is a single-edged Ever-Ready but that is all that I know about it.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200519_144621.jpg
    20200519_144621.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200519_144632.jpg
    20200519_144632.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 48
Hello,

Today I was in an antique store and found this razor bundled with four other razors and I was wondering what year this was from. I know that it is a single-edged Ever-Ready but that is all that I know about it.

Thank you!
1919-1924. Often referred to either as a 1924 or Shovelhead. Produced through 1924-1933 with patent number indicated.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
View attachment 1102258

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello,

Thank you!
Your razor is what most call a 1924 Everready or AKA shovel head, it is mid aggression and I use mine maybe 1 or 2 times a month. They were Mfg 1919-24 patent applied for or 1924-33 patented by the 10's of thousands, lots of folks like to use them even in these days like myself.
E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Your razor is what most call a 1924 Everready or AKA shovel head, it is mid aggression and I use mine may 1 or 2 times a month. They were Mfg 1924-33 by 10's of thousands, lots of folks like to use them even in these days.
View attachment 1102255
Have some great shaves!

Thank you! I'll have to get some blades and try it out. It's the first single-edged razor I have owned so I am excited to try it!

Ron R

Here is some more information if interested. These two razors were the backbone of Everready for many years.

Ron R

Thank you! I'll have to get some blades and try it out. It's the first single-edged razor I have owned so I am excited to try it!
I like the Gem Personna SS PTFE (teflon)coated blades, some like the carbon blades(need to be completely dried after use or they will rust- I do not use them at all.)

Here is some more information if interested. These two razors were the backbone of Everready for many years.

Oh wow! If I like the shovelhead, I'll definitely start exploring more single edged razors

You may need a shim to secure the blade. If you have an injector blade, that will work fine if not another blade that is shortened or similar piece of metal about the same thickness will work. To load it is blade on the razor base plate first, shim on top under the 2 side tabs as seen in the picture below.
ER1909a.jpg

Hope you love it! Those razors are my favorite of the pre-Micromatic Gem blade razors.

Mine are all ‘PAT APP’D FOR’ like yours. Yours appears to have good blade stops and a good spring, so I expect it will hold the blade well and deliver a good shave. I am noting the advice from @BBS-1 on shimming with an injector blade. I might check that out next time I load one of mine.

You might enjoy the Micromatic Monday thread, which is very active and welcomes all types of vintage ASR (Ever-Ready, Gem and some other brands) Gem blade razors.

Hope you love it! Those razors are my favorite of the pre-Micromatic Gem blade razors.

Mine are all ‘PAT APP’D FOR’ like yours. Yours appears to have good blade stops and a good spring, so I expect it will hold the blade well and deliver a good shave. I am noting the advice from @BBS-1 on shimming with an injector blade. I might check that out next time I load one of mine.

You might enjoy the Micromatic Monday thread, which is very active and welcomes all types of vintage ASR (Ever-Ready, Gem and some other brands) Gem blade razors.

I just picked up some single edged blades at CVS today so I'm going to try it Friday. I'm letting my facial hair grow a little bit so I can test the razor.

I've never seen a 1924 with patent numbers. Do they actually exist?

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
You may need a shim to secure the blade. If you have an injector blade, that will work fine if not another blade that is shortened or similar piece of metal about the same thickness will work. To load it is blade on the razor base plate first, shim on top under the 2 side tabs as seen in the picture below.
View attachment 1102385
Interesting idea, but I guess I've been lucky with the couple that I have...the blade can be a little finicky to load, but once the door is closed, the blade is locked in...at least on mine. I will warn the user that if you're a dunker (i.e., you dunk you razors to clean the stubble and shaving cream off of them to clear it out for the next pass, you may want to give it a good shake....that head can fill up with water and give you a mini-bath if you don't drain it before the next pass. I do like the way it shaves, it just never really fights it's way up the rotation.

Interesting idea, but I guess I've been lucky with the couple that I have...the blade can be a little finicky to load, but once the door is closed, the blade is locked in...at least on mine. I will warn the user that if you're a dunker (i.e., you dunk you razors to clean the stubble and shaving cream off of them to clear it out for the next pass, you may want to give it a good shake....that head can fill up with water and give you a mini-bath if you don't drain it before the next pass. I do like the way it shaves, it just never really fights it's way up the rotation.

You can use the razor without one but the blade might wobble when you shave. It won't be like a DE chattering blade but you can feel it flexing when your shave. It will also keep the blade from sliding back if the tabs are not holding the blade tight enough. Works well on the earlier ER razors especially the 1909 which was designed for the thicker ER and Radio branded SE blades made by Reichard and Schueber Manufacturing and later American Safety Razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
if you're a dunker (i.e., you dunk you razors to clean the stubble and shaving cream off of them to clear it out for the next pass, you may want to give it a good shake....that head can fill up with water and give you a mini-bath if you don't drain it before the next pass.

Good advice! Sometimes in the winters when the relative humidity is around five per cent I really appreciate a little extra water on the lather. I tend toward wet lather because I live in a dry place, but even then some days it's like shaving with Elmer's Glue.

Then I shave on the road somewhere, and it's like getting a bucket of water poured on my head.

O.H.

Top Bottom