What's new

What would your perfect belt look like?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I was not sure where to post this as I am just gathering ideas not advertising a product.....yet. (Mods please move this if needed)

I followed the various belt threads here and was surprised that the Tanner Goods and Filson belts were not much different than what I wear daily. I like a heavy, single layer leather, one that will age well and develop a nice patina. Plain/industrial for the most part but with high end workmanship and details.

I also favor a 1 1/2" width as it just fits in jeans or Dockers but nicer dress pants would probably look best with a 1 1/4" wide belt. I myself own both black and cordovan colored belts but a plain dark brown or russet/golden brown may be nice with jeans. I was thinking solid brass and stainless buckles and trim, not plated.

So, what is your usual, daily wear belt.....wide, skinny.....black, brown, tan ?

Tony

I wear this one, casually of course. I know this probably doesn't help I just wanted to post a reply. I do need something better if you are working up smething. :biggrin:

I have three main belts for work all 1 1/4". Black, cordovan, and a golden brown. I have had them for so long I don't even remember where I got them. I wear a coat and tie every day so alternate between them based on which suit/shoes I'm wearing. For casual/chores I wear cowboy type belts in jeans and woven belts in shorts. I normally have a belt on, I can't think of any instance I don't wear a belt unless I swimming or out on the boat.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Dan,
That is pretty much my thoughts too, black, cordovan or brown and a golden color. Interchageable buckles, brass, stainless, and black to either dress up or tone down the look. A good bit less $$ than a Filson or Tanner too.

I went to buy a belt in Walmart recently and even fake "pleather" belts were $25 to $30 ! I guess they figure you only own a few and don't buy them often so they need to make what they can on less sales.

Thanks,
Tony

BTW....the shorter than my current belt comment was great! Don't we all wish for that.

I have 2. The Blundstone belt. I love the "stout brown" and like the black, but find the medium is a bit big for me at a 32" waist. They are great pieces of leather though. As for work belts, its Allen Edmonds for new purchases these days, but I have a bunch of vintage stuff with new buckles on them that I use regularly.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
Crocodile skin with a MASSIVE rodeo buckle! I have no idea where I'd wear it but it would be cool. :tongue:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's funny as I bought 2 belts last month. I had them made by a man down the street in is garage... I'm thinking of having him make me a strop...

He's offering 2 standard width. 1 1/4" for dress pants and 1 1/2" for casual pants. He can make them black, brown or tan with 3 different buckles (satin, silver or gold). I had him do 2x 36" one black (for work) and one brown (casual). I don't need a belt usually but I like wearing one. I can post some pictures if you like. It's a fairly simple design and I don't like complicated things... :biggrin:

I was not sure where to post this as I am just gathering ideas not advertising a product.....yet. (Mods please move this if needed)

I followed the various belt threads here and was surprised that the Tanner Goods and Filson belts were not much different than what I wear daily. I like a heavy, single layer leather, one that will age well and develop a nice patina. Plain/industrial for the most part but with high end workmanship and details.

I also favor a 1 1/2" width as it just fits in jeans or Dockers but nicer dress pants would probably look best with a 1 1/4" wide belt. I myself own both black and cordovan colored belts but a plain dark brown or russet/golden brown may be nice with jeans. I was thinking solid brass and stainless buckles and trim, not plated.

So, what is your usual, daily wear belt.....wide, skinny.....black, brown, tan ?

Tony

Maybe you should make a 2" belt in black latigo with a cotton backing :lol::lol:

Tony - I have been using belts from Quillin Leather for years. Available in a couple widths, colors, and styles. They make a perfect, everyday belt, but not a formal belt. This is the same place we order our horse tack and dog collars from as well.

I bought a Filson belt and am sorely disappointed. Okay, but not worth the money.

Tony, I like your latigo coloring. I prefer a Ranger style belt for work, play and casual. I, too, enjoy the patina. I'd prefer a brass buckle. I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy your strops as of yet, but from the looks of them, I bet you could make one helluva belt.

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I bought a Filson belt and am sorely disappointed. Okay, but not worth the money.

There are plenty of nice, quality made, simple design belts out there but I agree they are not worth the money. A nice all leather belt does not have to cost $65-75.

I love the look of the Tanner stufff but they are not much different than the belt I wear every day made from bridle leather and mine didn't cost $70.

I have something in the works that should be ready well before Christmas. Simple, understated, industrial design...Heirloom Razor Strop quality workmanship.

Thanks,
Tony

I happen to own my perfect belt, it was given to me as a gift from my late grandmother. It is a 1-1/2'' brown sharkskin belt from Rafter S Gunleather. It looks amazing and really makes lugging steel around so much easier.

I picked up a rather plain cordovan belt from a Brooks Brothers outlet ten years ago, and I'm still wearing it.

Well you're not cool unless you own a belt with a Harley Davidson buckle that weighs to much you need to start buying jeans a size too small so they'll stay up.

But for me, I like ones with the two rows of holes and just plain black leather. That's for casual anyway, wearing with jeans.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My perfect belt would be a nice thick leather belt, 1.5 to 2 inches wide, but without a standard punch hole buckle.

I wore web belts for 22 years in the military, and that slide buckle that allows you to fix it anywhere you need it is perfect.

Hole type buckles stretch the leather out, and I never seem to get just the right fit, it's too tight on one hole and too loose on the other.

A web type slide buckle on a leather belt would be just about perfect.

Top Bottom