What's new

What would your grandfather say....

....about all the razors, brushes, soaps, creams, mugs, bowls, aftershaves, and so on that you've acquired? I think mine would shake his head and say, "Boy, you only need one razor, one brush, and some soap. You don't need all this mess. Back in my day...."

Never knew either of my grandfathers. My father would look at it and ask "What do you need all this stuff for?" I'd probably answer something like "I like variety." To that he would take another glance at the stash in front of him, shake his head and walk away. RIP Dad.

I remember my grandfather using disposables and old spice in that white bottle . My old man was an electric guy for years .

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My Dad had one Gillette Razor, one brush, one puck of shaving soap (in his one shaving cup), one brand of blades (Gillette) and one brand of aftershave.

He is laughing his *** off in Heaven. :)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
He would say something like "you only need one", but I would counter with "why do you have so many bottles of different Bourbon, won't one do?" That might have framed things so we could understand each other better. Of course, I have many bottles of Bourbon too...

Indeed, RIP Dad. Memories of him with his mug of soap and brush is what got me started in wet shaving after years of cartridges and disposables.

My Dad always used an electric from the day I was born until the day he died. But sometime in the late 70's I was lucky enough to set aside his "gift" of his old electric and found BIC disposables and canned foamin' goo.

My only living grandpa had a DE and a straight, but by the time I knew him I think the straight was sitting idle. He also had a bottle of bay rum in the medicine cabinet that had a bay leaf in the bottle (it may have been a plastic leaf). I don't think he would have complained about our "hobby." He had about 20 or so hats (many of which came my way when he passed) and a couple dozen pipes. Why anyone would need that many hats or pipes is beyond me. I even smoked a pipe and never equaled his number.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Paternal grandfather: Had used straight razors and then a single edge and had probably arrived at electric the whole time I knew him.

Maternal grandfather: Used carts such as Gillette Trac II or the similar Schick and finally an electric in the Alzheimer's years.

Father: Safety razor, brush and soap until about 1980, then Gillette Good news disposables brush and soap and then later just canned foam and now Bic 3 blade non pivoting head disposable.

They view/ed shaving as a practical matter, though my father and paternal grandfather could appreciate some of the finely built razors and brushes though they never owned any themselves. Being gunsmith's who built custom rifles, they appreciated fine craftsmanship.

None of them had the concept of rotations, nor the ownership of enough product to support such "nonsense". Shaving was a daily duty, nothing more.

I remember my dad using a Schick injector when I was little and at some point switching to carts. If he saw my den today, he’d smile and say “Wow!”, or maybe “Mmm”, and not much else.

He was a very smart man.

The grandfather whose Gillette Old Type I used for 40 years was a plain Hoosier farmer. With the one razor from the 20s until he passed away. My grandmother’s big triumph was getting him out of overalls and into twill pants during his working hours.

However, he had a plumed three cornered hat and a ornamental sword (and I don’t know what other regalia) for those occasions when he played in the band with his fraternal organization. And much nicer suits, ties, and dress hats (for Sunday meeting and a restaurant dinner) than I will ever own. Different era, different fripperies.

My paternal grandpa would probably say all of my stuff is a waste of money. He used a Gillette Super Speed, the cheapest canned foam and blades that were available; and no aftershave. He shaved everyday, no matter what. He could probably shave with a piece of glass. Even when he was dying of cancer, he insisted on being clean shaved. He enlisted the help of a male nurse who he really liked to help him shave when he was too weak to do it himself. That nurse treated my grandpa like a man and always shook his hand.

My maternal grandpa would be too drunk to care about my shaving stuff. He would probably ask me to take him to the liquor store and buy him a bottle of gin.

My maternal step grandpa wouldn't care either. He used disposable Bic razors and now I think he uses the Gillette Fusion. Probably the one with the most blades. He dry shaves too...

Last edited:
My grandfathers, rest their souls, would give me an education and say - are you crazy boy!
Why its just silly to spend money on all those soaps, creams, razors and blades.
All you need is one Gillette razor, a pack of Wilkinson blades, a puck of Williams, a boar brush and your set.
They both lived to their late 80's and were clean shaven every day of their lives - one razor, one pack of blades, a puck of Williams, one brush and a coffee mug.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Same. Mine would probably say that its silly and a waste of money. Theyd both probably say just buy a pack of disposables, some Barbasol and some witch hazel.

Top Bottom