What's new

What would your grandfather say....

He would say "so you like DE razors...I have a couple of vintage SuperSpeeds to give you then"

I saw the razors on his sink growing up...then he died when I was 19. By the time I though about those razors they were long gone.

Never knew either of my grandfathers. My father would look at it and ask "What do you need all this stuff for?" I'd probably answer something like "I like variety." To that he would take another glance at the stash in front of him, shake his head and walk away. RIP Dad.
Same story different faces.
RIP Dad.

I'm sure I'd be asked to hone a razor or two and then start in on a bench full of chisels...
I like to think they'd appreciate the fact I don't use cartridges as well.

Along with some weird sidelong glances I can only imagine the response to “and there’s all these other people who get together in this virtual space to talk about what they like and to post pictures of their lather”

SLAP!

I inherited both my grandfathers razors. There were minimalists. No stockpile of anything. They would have been upset with my unnecessary hoarding I’m sure.

They would both wonder why I don't use an electric. Then I could tell them that blades are made better now than in the '50s, so it's quick and painless to use the Gillette now. Besides, replacement heads for an electric are much more expensive than DE blades.

With only two razors getting regular use and with the knowledge that blades are bought mail order, I probably wouldn't catch too much flak for that. But there would be questions about why so many aftershaves.

I think mine wouldn't mind - one razor one brush one soap plus one in the drawer. He'd like my set, I know.

Along with some weird sidelong glances I can only imagine the response to “and there’s all these other people who get together in this virtual space to talk about what they like and to post pictures of their lather”

SLAP!
yes !!! and - "What?!? You sit around thinking about soap all day ?!?!?" ... followed by.....

or maybe, thanks to google translate - La nonna ti ha già dato il mio rasoio. Perché continui a cercare di più? = Grandma already gave you my razor. Why do you keep looking for more?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They would both wonder why I don't use an electric. Then I could tell them that blades are made better now than in the '50s, so it's quick and painless to use the Gillette now. Besides, replacement heads for an electric are much more expensive than DE blades.

With only two razors getting regular use and with the knowledge that blades are bought mail order, I probably wouldn't catch too much flak for that. But there would be questions about why so many aftershaves.
Yeah, my old man would give me heck about my aftershave addiction, no question.

My Grandfather would say "I fought in World War II so you could do what ever you want. So if you like to do it, do it well".

This is the same man that said in front of my then vegan girlfriend "I didn't fight in WWII so that you could eat a salad, you should get the Prime Rib." In his defense it was my graduation dinner at Lawrys Prime Rib, it is in the name what you should be ordering there. I am very fortunate that he is still with us right now. It will be hard when his time comes, but I know I am a better man for everything he has ever said and taught me.

My Grandfather would say "I fought in World War II so you could do what ever you want. So if you like to do it, do it well".

This is the same man that said in front of my then vegan girlfriend "I didn't fight in WWII so that you could eat a salad, you should get the Prime Rib." In his defense it was my graduation dinner at Lawrys Prime Rib, it is in the name what you should be ordering there. I am very fortunate that he is still with us right now. It will be hard when his time comes, but I know I am a better man for everything he has ever said and taught me.
Your grand dad sounds awesome.

Top Bottom