What's new

What would you tell your past newbie self about wet shaving?

If you could send a message about what you've learned about wet shaving, to yourself, as you first picked up the practice, what would you say?

Here's mine:

Shave soaps last a lot longer than you imagine. Also, the best scent components do not have an unlimited shelf life. Don't go too nuts buying shave soap.

You will have multiple rounds of thinking you suck at honing a razor, then thinking you are good at it, then realizing that you still suck, just in different ways.

Skin stretching seems silly and stupid, but get over that fast. You need it.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Don’t worry, SR shaving is going to feel natural, relax, you’ll also hone your own razors…trust me. About those creams you keep buying, stop, your going to prefer hard soaps. But you’ll PIF those creams to our brother and he’s going to love them. Also it wouldn’t hurt to find another source of income...just think about it.

Stock up on your favorite shaving soaps(that have a long shelf life) like Klar Kabinett, Sir Irisch Moos, Tabac, etc. and aftershaves like , Floid Blue etc, and blades like Polsilver because they might stop making them or take the tallow out or some other undesirable thing.

This makes me want to load up on Mitchell's Wool Fat. Also Colman's mustard. Two things that I assume will be there forever, but now you make me wonder. Neither needs any "improvement" or other alteration.

Focus on maintaining the perfect angle and making multiple comfortable passes, rather than applying pressure to achieve efficiency.

Pair sharp blades with mild razors and smooth blades with aggressive razors.

Take the time to create quality lather. Quality lather is at least 60% of the shave

Buy samples and only samples, then buy as much of what you truly love as possible before it's discontinued.

Start with a Gillette Tech.

Buy Clubman, Cella, Tabac, and La Toja first.

Buy Nacet, Crown, and Lord Brands.

Own a Gillette Guard.

A single Semogue boar is hard to beat so start there before trying synthetics and badgers.

1. Buy a birth-quarter Gillette Tech; it's the only razor you need (for now) and you will want one later anyway.
  2. Ignore the critics and buy the Arko 12-pack; it's all the soap you need (for now) and works as a stick or pressed into a container.
  3. Buy an inexpensive (not cheap) synthetic brush; it's the only brush you need... for now.
  4. Read, read, and then read some more. In between reading, work on your technique, be patient, and remember you didn't start this to collect a bunch of stuff but to get better shaves.
  5. The winning lottery numbers are...

To the old me, use your 790 until Timeless Razors come along, buy the .68 stainless master kit and be happy.
You only need two different soaps at a time on hand, seriously, you'll love the money you save for other thangs.
Get a Simpson Emperor 3 brush... yes, that's all you'll need for YEARS.
Don't buy more than a couple of aftershaves and - you really don't need to know which EdT, EdP you like best...
yes, only a thousand blades are enough for a lifetime.
Here are the next ten Superbowl winners... and when you hear the word 'Amazon' and "online books" => buy stock.

Stock up on your favorite shaving soaps(that have a long shelf life) like Klar Kabinett, Sir Irisch Moos, Tabac, etc. and aftershaves like , Floid Blue etc, and blades like Polsilver because they might stop making them or take the tallow out or some other undesirable thing.

I've got a thing like the Midas Touch, except what I touch turns into discontinued or reformulated. :sad:

This makes me want to load up on Mitchell's Wool Fat. Also Colman's mustard.
On the MWF, you and me both.

Colman's is good stuff, but the best I tried so far was Taylor's. That means it's probably been reformulated by now...

What would I tell my younger self?
  • Get yourself a better DE, don't bother with carts, laddie.
  • Buy a load of those "Made in England" Wilkinson Swords
  • Stop attempting to face-lather, just bowl-lather and paint
  • Hot washcloth prep! The best razor in the world won't cut dry stubble properly
  • A surprising number of your guesses have now turned out right, so how about having some self-confidence back then? I'm not going to spoon-feed you retrospectively.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I started traditional wet shaving in my teens. I should have told myself:

"Don't follow in your father's footsteps, listen to what your grandfather said and start shaving with a straight razor."
I'd have tried straight razor shaving first....

But then, I'd have missed out on some great vintage Gillette razors!

I'd tell younger me that if you try straights, you definitely don't need any soap other than Arko.

Don't start with a straight, use a DE. Don't use any pressure. And don't go back to cartridge razors just because you mess up on your first couple of tries.
Oh, and.. in March 2011 buy as many bitcoin as you can for less than $1 each and sell them in March 2021 for around $60 000 each. ;)

Top Bottom