What's new

What would you tell your past newbie self about wet shaving?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Back in college: Do NOT buy that Gillette Techmatic.

In my middle years: Try harder to find the stainless steel PAL Injector you lost, as they're no longer being made.

In my dotage: Shaving is not a macho contest. Just because you think you're a tough guy doesn't mean you need an R41.
(Moi?
:001_rolle)

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I started shaving in the mid 1960’s, we used Gillette or Shick razors and blades. We mostly used canned foam, Palmolive cream, or pucks of Williams, Colgate or Old Spice with cheap badger brushes - there were no girly scented soaps on the shelves and aftershaves were bought in drug grocery stores. It was all quite simple. No one considered shaving to be any sort of hobby; it was simply a social must do and nothing more. Some, but few, used electric razors and the term “wet shaving” would have seemed rather silly. In the 1970’s Bic introduced the disposable razor, a rather pitiful device, but Gillette soon came along with the Trac II which delivered a very good shave without the nicks delivered by the DE. Now, I only shave with straight razors and mostly ARKO soap and keep shaving as simple as possible.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Use less pressure - lighter than your current version of less pressure.

Buy the good stuff and avoid that unused collection of almost good stuff.

When you buy that razor from the guy starting that business in Canada (for $155 USD) purchase 3 Wolfman razors and sell the other two 8 years later (better than money in the bank).

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Just because you think you're a tough guy doesn't mean you need an R41.

The R41 isn’t because it’s a tough guy razor (though it’s tougher than Shazam long johns), it’s for “I could take time with my mild razor and get just as close of a shave on my difficult neck whiskers eventually or I could use this aggression in potted metal form to clean those hard-to-shave whiskers NOW and stop scratching the collar of my Shazam long johns.”

:laugh: i would say dont try to shave my head bald with de razor before even learning how to using said razor on my face first its a bloody lesson to learn that you cant just go at it all fast like using a disposable

Top Bottom