What's new

What Would You Like To See In A Method Shaving Video?

Hi Gents--

I'm going to do a video on Method shaving. I know the B&B DVD has a section (and I've ordered one in the latest wave), but I'd like to solicit your comments on what you'd like to see in a Method shaving video. What questions do you want answered? What particular steps do you think need special attention? Comments welcomed.

--Mark

Mark,
How about doing something on how to shave troublesome areas? For example, I have two spots (one on each side of my septum) that I just cannot shave down enough to suit me. I am working my way back to a DE, which might be able to get in there, but right now when I think about it, I get scary flashes of blood and a slit septum. Is there a comfortable way to deal with such areas? It didn't matter for the 27 years I had my beard, but now I am thinking of going for a small laser procedure to eliminate those areas.
Then too, how about ways to get closer on the chin? I should make a humorous video of the extreme contortions I go through to expose the mirror spots on my chin. The same is true for two areas at the corners of my upper lip. Maybe you could do something with those. Maybe you could actually have a few different faces with problem areas that you demonstrate on.
I hope I sparked at least one idea for you. I have viewed your other videos at least three times each. They are quite good. Thanks for doing them.
Carey

I'm not sure if this applies to your question but I'd like to see what "blade buffing" looks like. I can't quite picture it yet.

Sorry, but "Method Shaving" is by and large a good load of copius bunk. (And to answer your next question, yes, I've read through the tedious instruction manual.)

I would recommend a video illustrating specific shaving techniques in detail.

-joedy

Just a thought - It seems most of the comments so far are more directed to a video on DE shaving generally, as opposed to the method shaving video specifically.

I would like to see some coverage on use of the quadrants - what direction for what pass, etc. And especially whether the direction ones hair grows makes a difference or not. I read CAR's text on this, and totally did not get it. Something about another term that was substituted for "grain" and I couldn't make head or tails of what it meant.

That's really my main interest as far as the method, although general coverage of what the products are and how they are meant to be used would be great.

I am pretty curious about the whole thing, although greatly sceptical.

I would like to see ANYTHING about it.
But especially the "loading the brush" part.
I think it was fascinating that CAR said in some interview that the blade didn't matter as much as getting the brush fully loaded with cream and water.
And yes the quadrant stuff should be good also.
Any DE video would be good since it is almost impossible to find one!
-phil

I think more than anything the video needs to be more about "What is Method Shaving?"

I had never heard of it until I walked into CAR's place and chatted with him for the first time. I think majority of the guys outside the forums and new to the wetshaving game would benefit more from an overview than trying to get all the details in.

msandoval858 said:
I think more than anything the video needs to be more about "What is Method Shaving?"

I had never heard of it until I walked into CAR's place and chatted with him for the first time. I think majority of the guys outside the forums and new to the wetshaving game would benefit more from an overview than trying to get all the details in.

I would prefer "What is Method Shaving" in a video that is straightforward without 60 minutes of CAR-babble. Give me a good layman's video and an explanation of the products (cube, cutting, etc) and I would be more apt to try them someday as I do not have a trip to Austin (at the moment) in my longterm future.

mantic said:
Hi Gents--

I'm going to do a video on Method shaving. I know the B&B DVD has a section (and I've ordered one in the latest wave), but I'd like to solicit your comments on what you'd like to see in a Method shaving video. What questions do you want answered? What particular steps do you think need special attention? Comments welcomed.

--Mark

Details on what it is.

I would recommend thinking about the individual that is new to DEs. First illustrate what a DE is and how they differ from the horrible standard cartridge shavers. Show him different types of bowls and what they look like then show him a badger brush and a boar brush. Use your hands around the handle of the brush so he gets an idea as to the relative dimensions of the brush. Hold the shaver up so he gets an idea as to the relative size of the shaver. Then place the shaver next to the bowl and brush so he gets the idea of the size and shape differences. Show him as many different types of shavers as possible. A Slant, Basic an adjustable and if you can show him what a single edge looks like. Remove the blade from the shaver and place it on the counter next to the shaver. Show him as many different brands as possible then tell him that they are all interchangeable and to figgure out which brand works best for him. Next demonstratte the process that you use emphasizing that he needs as little downward pressure as possible. Using which ever shaver you like best.

I'd like to see a full shave video with a str8 razor.:eek:

I watched your method shaving videos, but there's one thing I didn't like: priming the brush on the cube is such a mess, with foam all over your hand, and suds flying everywhere around the sink, and afterwards, stuff dribbling down your neck. Compared to lathering shave cream in a bowl, it's awfully messy.

So if there's some way of doing it without making an enormous production of it, I'd like to see it. And maybe then I'd be willing to give Method Shaving a try. Otherwise, I'm sticking to my cream.

Edit: Also, it would be good if you could avoid the weird words like "slag" and "velocity" that are completely unhelpful and only serve to confuse.

I watched your method shaving videos, but there's one thing I didn't like: priming the brush on the cube is such a mess, with foam all over your hand, and suds flying everywhere around the sink, and afterwards, stuff dribbling down your neck. Compared to lathering shave cream in a bowl, it's awfully messy.

So if there's some way of doing it without making an enormous production of it, I'd like to see it. And maybe then I'd be willing to give Method Shaving a try. Otherwise, I'm sticking to my cream.

Edit: Also, it would be good if you could avoid the weird words like "slag" and "velocity" that are completely unhelpful and only serve to confuse.

Method shaving *is* messier than traditional shaving, though perhaps not has messy as I make out in the video: I had done a number of "takes" beforehand and I didn't realize how messy I had gotten until it was pointed out to me after posting the video.

My explanation of things like "slag" and "velocity" I thought were necessary because some of the other publications on the web used those terms. Trust me, it could've been a lot worse. :cool: :redface:

--Mark

Yes, Mark please be more neat. As for building the mix being messy, there's no way around at least starting the process with the Cube. But it doesn't have to be quite as "messy" as Mark's video. I can start on the Cube just enough to get a lather going on the brush and then switch over to building it up the rest of the way in a mug. I put in a bit of paste (not any different than building "super lather") and then keep mixing in the mug until most of the air is out of the mix. You still have to use the Cube in the beginning but now you are using the mug (or bowl) as your mixing surface rather than the Cube itself so it's not quite as messy. But then, I guess for me the mess it makes is not so important compared to the shave I get. I hope you give it a try.

-Collin

Top Bottom