What's new

What would you do?

Sorry for the long post, rant alert!

Hi guys, I’m impressed by the feelings and emotions a hobby can elicit from a devoted follower. Also, by those who are really excited to start collecting and who want to throw themselves into a hobby, head first.

Recently, due to a Facebook group I’m in, I met a new convert to wet shaving who needed help learning to strop, hone, and restore his razors. He is also a new barber, right out of barber school, who has started cutting my hair(it’s a pandemic, I work from home, not scared of terrible hair cuts).

After my haircut this week, I showed him 3 razors, he was interested in buying. He had recently dropped his 4/8 Boker while stropping, it shattered. While he was looking at my razors, I asked to take a look at his other blades. I discovered blades covered in hair, oil and rust(edge rust, spots and pivot). Several of these blades I had personally spent time cleaning up and honing for him. He commented that many of them needed to be honed again and that their edges had only lasted a few shaves.... He made me an offer on one of my blades(trading one of his rusted ones and some cash), but I turned him down and was not willing to negotiate. I said maybe I’ll be willing to part with it on my next visit.

In all honesty, I couldn’t bring myself to sell him a blade which I had spent hours cleaning up and honing. In addition to months of patient waiting, while watching for a set of period replacement scales, from a broken version of the same razor. I think my devotion to cleaning up and protecting these relics has pushed me to be somewhat protective. Granted, it would not be my razor anymore, so it’s none of my business what he does with it, but still!

I did chat with him about basic maintenance and care before I left. I also pointed out some condition issues with his razors, in hopes that he would be more diligent in the future.

Gentlemen, what would you do? Would you willingly sell one of your prized razors to someone with limited regard for maintenance and care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I would not sell off a valuable razor - valuable meaning rare or costly, or that I had put a lot of time in - until he learns to care for his tools. I would however, offer to shop eBay for him and help him acquire one of the many cheap and useful 5/8 razors and then hone it for him.

This is basically the same advice that we give to brand-new honers, don’t learn to hone on a mint ivory scaled Heljestrand or Iwasaki. Learn on the cheap, replaceable stuff and move up once you’ve mastered the skills.

Not sounding funny here but if his razors are like that then he won't care for his tools, so on that score, I would think about using him for a hair cut as its all hygiene in the end. It only takes a nick and what would you end up with, So no I would be keeping my prized razors and you did the right thing.

That's one of the reasons I started cutting my own hair plus its getting less off so a number one all over is just fine.:austin1::austin1:

No I would not sell him a treasure.I might give home a serviceable well used straight made of good steel that was properly honed.
Regards Mike
I think these are the offers I'll make to him in the future. Not Premium condition vintage razors.

I would not sell off a valuable razor - valuable meaning rare or costly, or that I had put a lot of time in - until he learns to care for his tools. I would however, offer to shop eBay for him and help him acquire one of the many cheap and useful 5/8 razors and then hone it for him.

This is basically the same advice that we give to brand-new honers, don’t learn to hone on a mint ivory scaled Heljestrand or Iwasaki. Learn on the cheap, replaceable stuff and move up once you’ve mastered the skills.
This is the offer I have made to him. I told him I'd be happy to hunt for exactly what he is looking for, in his price range. It's always fun to shop with someone else's money!

Not sounding funny here but if his razors are like that then he won't care for his tools, so on that score, I would think about using him for a hair cut as its all hygiene in the end. It only takes a nick and what would you end up with, So no I would be keeping my prized razors and you did the right thing.

That's one of the reasons I started cutting my own hair plus its getting less off so a number one all over is just fine.:austin1::austin1:
That is a good point! I discussed with my wife, continuing my tutorship of him, but going back to my regular barber. He does take for ever to cut hair.

He owns two Gold Dollars and they have staining at a bit of rust already.

Shavettes are cheap, stylistically plentiful, and readily available. Right up his alley. No idea where you're located, but if I understood correctly, he's using them professionally. If so, shavettes are not only lower maintenance, but probably the best, most hygienic, & only legal option.

Shavettes are cheap, stylistically plentiful, and readily available. Right up his alley. No idea where you're located, but if I understood correctly, he's using them professionally. If so, shavettes are not only lower maintenance, but probably the best, most hygienic, & only legal option.
Located in Missouri, he is using replaceable dovo blades in a barbers shavette already. His traditional straight razors are for personal use only.

nope.....not at all.

may not be well received but this is one of the times in life I'd be bluntly honest with him.....for his own good as a barber.

(1) take care of your stuff if you're a wage earning professional Barber.

(2) could potentially lose clients if you half measure this maintenance step.

(3) have some pride and care with your own craft for God's sake.

i wouldnt let this person cut my hair. (and I clipper buzz my own hair).....much less provide a straight shave.

maybe I'm being too critical but that's how I see it.

camo

nope.....not at all.

may not be well received but this is one of the times in life I'd be bluntly honest with him.....for his own good as a barber.

(1) take care of your stuff if you're a wage earning professional Barber.

(2) could potentially lose clients if you half measure this maintenance step.

(3) have some pride and care with your own craft for God's sake.

in wouldnt let this person cut my hair. (and I clipper buzz my own hair).....much less provide a straight shave.

maybe I'm being too critical but that's how I see it.

camo

just saw he uses dovo replaceable blades......

same thought still applies for me anyway.

camo

I wouldn't offer him any more razors and I wouldn't let him cut my hair since I wouldn't trust him to uphold the required sanity standards. Keeping a straight razor in good condition isn't rocket science, on the contrary is quite easy and intuitive at least if you have the tiniest experience of tools.

I'd say that he very much seems to be a rather undisciplined young man (yes I'm the grumpy old bastard)

As mentioned above I'd recommend him to get a feather SS or DX and offer him instructions in basic tool upkeep so that he can get the GD razors usable again.

:wheelchair:

Most folks these days just don't just care to maintain equipment and it's very sad to see. However that would not stop me selling non-valuable razors, honing and maintenance services to such an individual. It's good reoccurring business...

I would definitely not take any services from him.

He had a stainless Boker 4/8, he broke that one.... I think a feather Artist club would be a good recommendation.
I agree with the feather Artist club recommendation.
You may also suggest Portland Razor Co. They’re actively promoting straight razor shaving to new barbers, and have a specific line geared toward them. Professional razors that can be fully submerged in Barbicide without any degradation to the steel or scales.
Their stuffs not cheap, but maybe if he had to pay full pop for his equipment, he my be more inclined to take care better care of it.
Just a thought.

Top Bottom