What's new

What would you do?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Afternoon all,
So I find myself in an odd position. I have the chance to train with Ronin Tactics #2 man one on one in Waxahachie, TX on the 17th of April since all of Ronin's classes are on hold. Got OK for the dates and then work found out what I was doing and gave me an ultimatum. You can go but when you get back you have to into quarantine for 14 days. One part of me is apprehensive but the other part says "Screw 'em! I have three weeks vacation banked." What would you do? And, no I haven't paid for the class yet. I pay the day of...

I would pass. Thats just over two weeks out, and who knows what the spread of the virus will be, except more. A few years back being in the medical profession, I read a detailed history of the 1918-1919 flu pandemic and even with the slower transportation in those days it was amazing how fast it spread. Best thing to do is stay home and be safe.

Afternoon all,
So I find myself in an odd position. I have the chance to train with Ronin Tactics #2 man one on one in Waxahachie, TX on the 17th of April since all of Ronin's classes are on hold. Got OK for the dates and then work found out what I was doing and gave me an ultimatum. You can go but when you get back you have to into quarantine for 14 days. One part of me is apprehensive but the other part says "Screw 'em! I have three weeks vacation banked." What would you do? And, no I haven't paid for the class yet. I pay the day of...

What do you do for work?
Its going to worse before it gets better so they may make you stay home anyway.
If you don't mind using the vacation time (if you have to) then sure.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Stay home and reschedule later. To much uncertainty, quarantine? I don't think so...YMMV. There will be other classes.

nikonNUT

I'm the parts manager at a hydraulics repair and manufacturing facility.

I'm the parts manager at a hydraulics repair and manufacturing facility.

I'd be in. Careful with what you touch and precautions when necessary.
Short of coughing on each other, it is no worse than grocery shopping.
I didn't get sick the last two times my wife had the flu and we share a bed and living space.
The biggest thing is disinfecting and not touching the face in any way till doing so. This is paramount in such times.

nikonNUT

Stay home and reschedule later. To much uncertainty, quarantine? I don't think so...YMMV. There will be other classes.
Employer forced quarantine per the boss lady (Who lets her 75 y/o husband run around the shop and chat up customers at close range)... I would be happy to watch them swing while I wasn't there. And you are right about other classes. I just don't want to go thru finding someone who isn't a idiot college kid that played Call of Duty an thinks they are a firearms instructor again... Training with Ronin? I'd have to get hired by a SWAT team. Kind of a unique deal but it is what it is.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Employer forced quarantine per the boss lady (Who lets her 75 y/o husband run around the shop and chat up customers at close range)... I would be happy to watch them swing while I wasn't there. And you are right about other classes. I just don't want to go thru finding someone who isn't a idiot college kid that played Call of Duty an thinks they are a firearms instructor again... Training with Ronin? I'd have to get hired by a SWAT team. Kind of a unique deal but it is what it is.

My opinion relies on a couple of circumstances. Are you young or old? Are you driving or flying?

The question isn’t can you do the training another time. The question is, will you have the opportunity to train one on one with who you are training with?

I have personal knowledge of who you are training with and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be one on one. I know many who would jump on that opportunity.

So, if you’re young, you are driving and can keep yourself isolated except for the one on one training? And you will make sure you quarantine upon your return?

I say do it. If you cannot do those things, then I say it’s irresponsible to do it if you can’t do those things.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would save the vacation time and cancel the training. You never know if you might need that vacation time later.

nikonNUT

My opinion relies on a couple of circumstances. Are you young or old? Are you driving or flying?

The question isn’t can you do the training another time. The question is, will you have the opportunity to train one on one with who you are training with?

I have personal knowledge of who you are training with and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be one on one. I know many who would jump on that opportunity.

So, if you’re young, you are driving and can keep yourself isolated except for the one on one training? And you will make sure you quarantine upon your return?

I say do it. If you cannot do those things, then I say it’s irresponsible to do it if you can’t do those things.
48 years old... Driving (only 5 hours away)... Rented a whole house so no interaction at the residence. Quarantine? Hell yeah! Vacation baby! Having said that Jeff runs his own business so maybe there will be other opportunities. He did say he travels with Tu (Ronin) extensively and this year was going to be a busy one. I was pumped for 1 on 1 with a guy that has walked the walk and talked the talk. I'll just shoot (HA!) him an e-mail and see what his plans are for the end of the year. Best case he has an opening. Worst case, well, I shudder to think...

One on one training, just the two of you? Maybe. More than just the two of you, for sure no.

Yep. Me, Jeff, the pistols and 1200 rounds. This is the place...
Etts.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
That would be so much fun with your guns. And you would learn a lot!

48 years young huh? You’re not over the hill, but definitely on top of the hill looking down! ;)

nikonNUT

That would be so much fun with your guns. And you would learn a lot!

48 years young huh? You’re not over the hill, but definitely on top of the hill looking down! ;)
Is that a peak joke? :lol: I really am/was pumped about it! Even splurged on some good gear for the trip. Mag holders, extra magazines, a good inner and outer duty belt, electronic muffs, good glasses, gloves... We shall see. Hoping a reschedule is possible towards the end of the year.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

Well Jeff is a good guy! His response to my e-mail...
"Hi Chris.
We’re still operating on no group over 10 and 6 foot distance between.
No worries about your boss. It’s a new uncertain time and everyone is learning as we go.

At this point it’s hard to say what my schedule will be until things open up and people start moving again"

Sucks hard as I was excited to learn from the best (Jeff did 29 years SWAT now retired) but I may still get the chance.

Ronin has a 4 hours online course so I'll be using that for now.

Last edited:
I would not do the training at this time, but that is me..... There will always be a time to do it later.

nikonNUT

Thank you for all the responses everyone! I did contact Jeff and cancel and my Air BNB hostess is a good sport so I got a full refund from her! Some interesting things have come up as far was whether or not the owner of my company could enforce said required quarantine (Something in the current state legal speak about exhibiting symptoms, etc. but I digress). I'll muddle thru on my own range (still open! Neaner! :lol1: ) and put Tu's training into pactice as best I can for now... At the worst I'll cash in all my vacation time (There's a pandemic so who wants to travel? Other than me.) and buy another toy! An STI Stacatto-XC is looking really good!

Top Bottom