What's new

What would you do with this razor?

I bought a 7/8 wade and butcher. Got it today and began polishing. The buff wheel took it from my hands and it hit the floor and broke. (Pic) it's a good razor with the blade engraved. It broke just to the left of the manufacturer stamp I have a mig welder but I am not good enough to weld this. What would you do with it?
proxy.php

Attachments

• 20190228_141550.jpg
    20190228_141550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Not throwing it away but plan on just hanging on to it I guess. If I ever want to practice honing or spine work. Guess I figured it was fubar'd. Just wanted confirmation I guess. Just upset about the loss. Got a new blade on the way for the scales this one was supposed to go in. Paid 100 for this one. Good deal you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190228-160602_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190228-160602_eBay.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 47
Not throwing it away but plan on just hanging on to it I guess. If I ever want to practice honing or spine work. Guess I figured it was fubar'd. Just wanted confirmation I guess. Just upset about the loss. Got a new blade on the way for the scales this one was supposed to go in. Paid 100 for this one. Good deal you think?

Sorry for your loss. What would you do differently?

The edge on the one coming is not straight, the heel section is lower than the front using your photo posted. I would not have paid that much, but I do understand the wide blades are highly sought after and command higher prices than the ones I prefer i.e. 5/8, 9/16, 6/8.

I've only paid over $100 for one new old stock 15/16 Herder with custom scales.

I’ve been there too..... I toasted a few with the dremel and one with the buffing wheels..... all you can do is shed a tear and move on. Good luck!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I posted this picture before in hope it helps. A safety net under the buffer. If it catches, let it go but it will live another day

11CD96FC-F20B-4C9F-A271-67FD58FB8376.jpeg

Welp... that’s something you don’t see every day. Nothing I’d ever expect to see. I have no idea how easily it could be welded, or what it’d look like or how strong it’d be, if it’d have any temper in blade after. Sheffield steel is the softest I’ve ever encountered in a razor.

I don’t see how you could save and use it.

Personally, I’d stick with a fairly low rpm dremel for power tool work. I have used a small Harbor Freight wheel

Find someone with a TIG welder. Those can do much more precise welds than a MIG or anything else.
But then again, it would lose its temper like mentioned in the post above. :(

On a German forum Korat from Austria shows before/after pictures of when he fixed a Ottoman Egyptain And Royal Windsor Razor with the exact same problem. He hard soldered with silversolder!

Weld it back on. Grind clean. Reharden if equipped. then rework the area to fit some scales on it. Make it a fixed blade shaver. It is already broke what is the worst that will happen?

I think re-heat treating a razor would lead to edge warp due to how thin it is, I'm an amateur knife maker, so I'm far from knowing everything. Based on what I've read, edge warp would be a very real possibility.

Here is what I'd do.
The blade is comparatively long to a Kamisori. So you can take some out at the heel.
Enough to be able to get something to mount a handle on.
See below
resto.jpg

Top Bottom