What's new

What would you choose?

Only you can make that decision. Follow your heart and not your pocketbook. You will never be completely happy if you settle for less.

I have both the Ralf Aust and a Dovo.Both razor shave very similar.If I had to pick one .I would probaby go with the Ralf Aust.But any of the three you are looking at should work very well.
Regards Mike

All three!

My choice would be the Aust - just because they are less common than Dovo. I have never used one so have no personal experience of them. I do have Dovos in my collection and there is nothing wrong with them at all.

I think any of them would be a fine first straight.

Enjoy!

Having had no luck with dovo, go with the other.
Really? What's been the problem? I've had a lot of dovo's pass through me and have never had a single dud. I have 5+ in my rotation right now including current production (one came in this week). Sometimes they
arrive needing a honing - but they always seem to take a lovely edge. Please describe your problem, would love to help.

^
Agreed - having owned and honed a bunch of Dovos myself, I can say that each one took a fine shaving edge.

Really? What's been the problem? I've had a lot of dovo's pass through me and have never had a single dud. I have 5+ in my rotation right now including current production (one came in this week). Sometimes they
arrive needing a honing - but they always seem to take a lovely edge. Please describe your problem, would love to help.

What about this thread?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/115445-New-Dovo-s-***?highlight=Dovo

Lynn at SRD, IIRC, pre-hones all his blades. I would not worry about receiving a bum-Dovo.

That being said: look at The Superior Shave for the Dovo; he's listing them starting at $75.

IMHO: I would pick the half-hollow blade. But that's because I prefer the heavier blades. You can then determine if you like the weight of that blade or if you'd like nimbler/heavier blades from there.

I think brands are a preference thing, some like them some don't. I myself like w and b , but own many different makes and use all of them some more than others. the best shaver is a stenton but my favorite and next best is a wade. I have one dovo and it shaves well, hones well just don't like the smaller blades. to me a razor under 7/8 just don't cut it, I prefer wedge grinds to hollows, heavy over light . but it is my opinion.

I have to agree with Craig, I just got a Palisander in last week. I got it from the BST, and it tugged a little. "No big deal, I'll just throw it on the stones". WRONG, I can't get it to take a good edge for the life of me. I have a 7 day set and several assorted other razors which I have been maintaining for over a year without issue. I am gonna give it one more shot before I throw it on the BST to make someone, who has more skills than I, very happy lol

Go with the Aust, or go vintage, even a Gold Dollar mod, I would steer clear of the Dovo personally....

I think any of these would be good, HOWEVER, there are gents here on the BST or through private messages that could get you set up on a vintage straight razor that would have a great edge and would be easy on the wallet. I purchased an Ed Wusthof from a fine fellow here on the B&B that was less than these three and it is probably a better razor.

Nothing wrong with new razors but don't discount a vintage blade from one of our members!!

Just some food for thought!!!!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have one bought new that's so badly ground/warped the hone won't hit the middle of the edge. So I know what Soldierdan is talking about. Go with the Aust. But if Lynn homes it, he'll know if it's warped or badly ground. If you go with the Dovo, I'd ask for a "good" one.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks to everyone who responded, very helpfull! As recommended I might pick up a vintage on BST in the future, but for now being my first straight i decided to go with a new one professionally sharpened from straightrazordesigns to experience a nicely honed blade so i can know what a nicely honed blade feels like. Going with the Ralf Aust. :thumbup:

I have one bought new that's so badly ground/warped the hone won't hit the middle of the edge. So I know what Soldierdan is talking about. Go with the Aust. But if Lynn homes it, he'll know if it's warped or badly ground. If you go with the Dovo, I'd ask for a "good" one.

Cheers, Steve

i wouldn't suggest bringing up the subject of warped Dovos over on that other forum.

Thanks to everyone who responded, very helpfull! As recommended I might pick up a vintage on BST in the future, but for now being my first straight i decided to go with a new one professionally sharpened from straightrazordesigns to experience a nicely honed blade so i can know what a nicely honed blade feels like. Going with the Ralf Aust. :thumbup:
Congratulations on your decision. Keep us posted as to your adventures with it. If you're like most of us around here it won't be your last!!:w00t:

Top Bottom