What's new

What would be in your "beginner shave kit"?

Razor- Gamechanger .68 $55
Blades- Gillette Platinum (100) 20
Soap- Noble Otter 20
Brush- Plissoft Synthetic. 12
Witch Hazle- Stirling 10
Bowl- Captain’s Choice Seaworthy 35
Aftershave- Chiseled Face 15

This is pretty much what I set my son up with. Just sayin….

King C Gillette razor
Gillette Platinum blades
Yaqi Timberwolf brush
Proraso red cream in a tube
Nivea balm

If you're willing to spend a little more money then I'd get a Simple Clean Shave razor instead. It would cost about $25 more, but you'd still be under $100.

Vintage shave ready straight razor £50
Yaqi 2 band Segrada Familia badger brush £20
Taylor’s Sandalwood shaving cream ( Palmolive is cheaper at £2 and probably better too but I love the scent of this) £10.
Cheap but useable leather strop £20
Small piece of Welsh slate for refreshing the blade £15.
That’s £115 but it would last several lifetimes and you’d never need to buy another blade.
If I could go back in time and gift my 15 year old self, this would be it.

For beginner...
just start with any cartridge razor and shave foam!!
even harry's!
brush optional!
and go from there!!

harry's gillette muehle april 15 2020 b.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
SR shaving is not the "deep end". Sure, it takes time and practice to start getting decent shaves but starting without having any other experience is probably the better way to go. Teenagers generally have much less fear when trying something new.

Do you remember the crazy things you did in your teens?

I dare say that per 1,000 beginner traditional wet shavers, "safety" razors probably inflict just as many weepers, nicks and cuts as SRs do.
@rbscebu I think you make valid points and present a great starting kit. My only issue would be the need for full disclosure where honing is concerned. From my own experience a shave ready razor, particularly lower end, is not always a common find. YMMV

I'll refrain from offering up a "starter kit". Too many variables. The best start, IMHO, is to peruse B&B, introduce oneself, start asking questions and hopefully not be overwhelmed by all our advice on the "ideal" beginner kit.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@rbscebu I think you make valid points and present a great starting kit. My only issue would be the need for full disclosure where honing is concerned. From my own experience a shave ready razor, particularly lower end, is not always a common find. YMMV

I'll refrain from offering up a "starter kit". Too many variables. The best start, IMHO, is to peruse B&B, introduce oneself, start asking questions and hopefully not be overwhelmed by all our advice on the "ideal" beginner kit.
I agree with you regarding the honing. The Gold Dollar and Titan SRs I mentioned are under USD 20 each including shipping. My USD 50 cost included sending the SR out to be properly honed to a shave-ready condition (about USD 30).

Here's my list; all prices in US dollars.
  • Razor: Gillette Blue (Chinese market Tech with a plastic handle, usually about $3 on AliExpress
  • Blades: Gillette Super Blue (about $30 for 100 blades on AliExpress)
  • Creme: Palmolive Classic (about $7 for a 100 ml tube on Amazon)
  • Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft synthetic ($18 on Italian Barber)
  • Aftershave: Thayer's witch hazel, alcohol-free with aloe vera ($11 for a 12 oz. bottle on Amazon)
I face lather, so no bowl recommendation; you could always use a cereal or salsa bowl to start if that's your fancy. I also went with a creme instead of a soap because it's easier to get a good lather in the beginning and that will help protect the skin while learning good technique.

Total cost for the above, not including shipping is about $69. I'm sure you can easily knock that overall price down with sales or coupons, or by choosing different products, but I think I've offered some solid choices that someone could use for a long time and be happy.

I'll probably give my son his first "starter" kit like my grandfather did me. 3rd (I guess technically 4th) generation hand me down slim adjustable, a blade I have on hand, a can of barbasol, and some hot water. I'll let him pick out what aftershave he wants from my cabinet.

A good starter kit for newbie would be some of the following items that I have used and they work fine.
Yaqi Atlantis 24mm shave brush...................$23.51 Canadian > US $ 17.51 excellent interesting synthetic brush.
Yaqi final cut adjustable DE razor ...............$40.07 Canadian > US $ 29.84 great adjustable, very enjoyable IMO.
Razorock stick soap pk of 4, on sale............. $13.59 Canadian > US $ 10.12 lasting a long time with different scents.
Razorock, 100pc Gillette 7 Oclock SS on sale. $13.59 Canadian > US $ 10.12 excellent blade blades by Gillette hard to beat.
'........................................................Total $90.76 Canadian> US $ 67.72
Good starter that is quality and enjoyable package hopefully that will last a very long time IMO.
I love the Yaqi final cut, plus their brushes are my favourite

Here's my list; all prices in US dollars.
  • Razor: Gillette Blue (Chinese market Tech with a plastic handle, usually about $3 on AliExpress
  • Blades: Gillette Super Blue (about $30 for 100 blades on AliExpress)
  • Creme: Palmolive Classic (about $7 for a 100 ml tube on Amazon)
  • Brush: RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft synthetic ($18 on Italian Barber)
  • Aftershave: Thayer's witch hazel, alcohol-free with aloe vera ($11 for a 12 oz. bottle on Amazon)
I face lather, so no bowl recommendation; you could always use a cereal or salsa bowl to start if that's your fancy. I also went with a creme instead of a soap because it's easier to get a good lather in the beginning and that will help protect the skin while learning good technique.

Total cost for the above, not including shipping is about $69. I'm sure you can easily knock that overall price down with sales or coupons, or by choosing different products, but I think I've offered some solid choices that someone could use for a long time and be happy.
The gillette blue and the 7 O'clock sterling I recommended are (basically, if not) the same razor, and its a brilliant one. I'd be super happy with this set, with my only change being the super blue blades for Gillette Minoras, since theyre similar blades but about 1/3 of the price.

A bowl I'd recommend (and currently use) is an Ox horn bowl. Looks super pretty and stylish and does a great job. Only issue is having to prep it beforehand so it wouldn't stink!

I have a grandson that will be starting to shave in the nearish future. His Dad has a beard and has only ever used an electric, and has given me the go ahead to teach the boy to shave...assuming he wants to.

His starter kit will be:
Razorock Gamechanger 68p loaded with Nacets
Razorock synthetic brush, handle of his choice.
He was a groomsman in my wedding last fall, I had him pick what aftershave I wore...he chose Razorock XXX so that will be the soap and splash. Will probably include an alum block.

LOL basically going to get him my setup. Good thing we are close.

Because fair is fair, it is important not to set beginners up with a “one and done” razor for life but a razor/soap/balm setup and intro to B&B as a gentle push down the rabbit hole. You want to make sure the first shaves are good and no possibility of nicks. Because that’s what happened to us and I noticed this group loves being enablers and shaving gear is best enjoyed by quantity. So:

Supply Single Edge SE (has a bit of heft to it) a package of their injector blades, Pacific Caffeinated shave cream and aftershave balm.

Or perhaps the Henson or Rockwell, Wilkinson (because he can find them in the drugstore) and a can of goo and Cremo aftershave balm.

Then to make sure he heads down the rabbit hole let him try my Pearl Flexi or Ambassador adjustable, followed by the intro in to AC such as the Hawk V3.

Now I realize this is mean but, how else do we get fresh meat into the forum. Hey it could be worse. We could introduce him to the world of watches.

Happy shaves!!!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My second "select one" of the morning.

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89. Nothing worse than junk for a razor, this is high enough quality to last a long time.

Blade: 100 blade purchase for a beard/face you know nothing about is, frankly, ridiculous. Every beginner should start with a sample pack of at least 10 different blades. But for the game I'd select Astra - cheap and somewhere in the middle of the choices. No Merkur or Derby Extra - I almost quit shaving after experiencing the Derby blade practically pulling out each hair, and I read nothing good about Merkur blades.

Brush: Nothing beats a cheap synthetic for bang for your buck. Maybe a RR Bruce/Big Bruce (or one of the other brushes that use the same knot for under $20).

Cream: Proraso - cheap, scent offends few, practically a requirement to be on the forum. Or Sterling soap. Nothing stinky or drying.

AS/Balm: Again, impossible without knowing the face. Oily skin or dry? Or nothing? If dry, Nivea makes a nice balm for cheap money.

While cognizant of the need to keep the total price within reach, I would never recommend junk to a beginner - he's got enough challenges already.

This will be a general head/face shaving kit:
  • RazoRock German 37 Slant $27
  • Personna platinum blades(100) $14
  • Sir Marlon Shaving Brush $9
  • Proraso White -creme $5
  • Nivea after shave balm $5
Total: $60

I had the good fortune of purchasing two Yates-manufactured Winning razors from the Wet Shaving Club for $40 each before they discontinued the Winning in July of 2022. I sent these to my two brothers in a starter kit:

Razor: Winning ($40) (with 5 included Tatra Platinum blades)
Additional blades: 10 Dorco ST-300 (about $1)
Brush: 23mm synthetic Maggard brush ($10)
Pre-shave: Shave Secret ($4.50)
Cream: Palmolive classic ($7)
Fingertip sprayer: ($0.50)
Salsa bowl for lathering: ($2)

Total of about $65 for each kit.

These kits were Christmas gifts. One of my brothers was actually considering a switch to a DE razor and said the gift was timely. The other said he's going to give it a try.

Hopefully they will enjoy the gear and the shaves they get. Time will tell if they become "DE converts".

linty1

My wallet cries.
Razor: Gillette Super
Blades: Gillette silver blues
Brush: Whipped dog silvertip
Soap: Kiss my face (cream)

I tried to keep it simple and easy, for me I think creams are most approachable/easier for a beginner, and the items above all come in at good price point. I did think about the Lord l6 (heck it's the razor I started with a long ago) but I've had a small few of them in the past that came with some manuf issues/blade alignment/consistancy issues. The G. Super is just a better bet imo. The second one that game me pause was the brush. Def thought about the synthetics here, just easier to whip up lather (imo) etc, but I don't know really know enough about them to give a good rec.

Top Bottom