What's new

What would be in your "beginner shave kit"?

So I was having a think about what would be a good starter shave kit and I decided to see what others would think. What would you choose to put in your beginner set, maybe for someone just reaching shaving age, or for someone interested in trying wet shaving out for the first time

Rules:
-Each part of the kit has to be affordable enough that someone new to wet shaving would consider buying it, so that means no fatboys and 100 packs of feather blades.
-Has to contain the following: Razor, 100 pack of blades (I know "but sample packs!" but I wanna see what you would give to a beginner, plus adds to the pricing element), a brush, a shaving soap/cream and an aftershave or aftershave equivalent.

With that said, here's my set:

Razor: Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling. Recently picked it up and its my new go to cheap razor. Picked it up for £3.95, shipping included and it shaves great. Its fairly light but the head (based on the Gillette tech) performs really well with little irritation.

Blades: A controversial choice for some but Derby Extra. They're not my go to but they're smooth and cheap, a pretty appealing option for someone new. Available on Amazon here for under £5 usually, but every available derby product seems to have disappeared here so the cheapest was £6.59 off Ebay

Brush: The most expensive item on my list but in my opinion the one that's worth splurging on, since a good brush is miles ahead of a bad one. This Yaqi Sagrada is an exceptional little brush and is my second favourite. Can be picked up for £16.99 off ebay, or £12 off aliexpress.

Soap: Easy, Arko shave stick. Cheap, but produces a wonderful lather and lasts months. Would also accept Derby but its not as available here. £6.99 for a pack of 5 isn't bad, but amazon sometimes does single sticks for £1.50 and for the longest time this combo pack was £6.99 and an excellent option.

Aftershave: Nivea cool aftershave balm. For £3.29 its a nice soothing option that smells clean. Would maybe also add a witch hazel facial toner as well since they're fairly cheap

Total price (when items are in stock at their cheapest prices): £27.21 Price Now: £37.81

Would love to hear what you guys would do.

Razor: RR Gamechanger SB .68 or .84 if you are feeling confident.

Blades: sample pack but if I had to pick one 100 pack for a newbie Astra SP

Brush: PAA Peregrino

Soap: Stirling in your choice of scent

Aftershave: Stirling splash to match the soap. Balm optional, if you get dry skin.

Total price: Something around $100USD depending on where you live and where you are buying it from

Has to contain the following: Razor, 100 pack of blades
I would disagree with that. A 100 is a lot for a lousy blade choice. I wonder how many new DE shavers have been turned off for good by the crappy sample blades some manufacturers include.

I would suggest 4 25 blade samples. That would improve choice and still keep cost and blade numbers in focus, as per your original point.

I would disagree with that. A 100 is a lot for a lousy blade choice. I wonder how many new DE shavers have been turned off for good by the crappy sample blades some manufacturers include.

I would suggest 4 25 blade samples. That would improve choice and still keep cost and blade numbers in focus, as per your original point.
While in an ideal world I would obviously suggest a sample pack, this was more for thought experiments sake. What would people consider as the best all round option that someone would be happy to use, and dont forget, many do just buy the cheapest 100 pack and use that since they don't want to bother with the whole sampling experience

shavers have been turned off for good by the crappy sample blades
Hell, this was nearly my experience until I arrived on the forum (when I started back in 2011). The Merkur-made blades that came with my 34C were absolute garbage. If I hadn't consulted the resources available here, I would've abandoned traditional shaving before I even got started.

what would be a good starter shave kit

1. Foolproof razor; any vintage Tech or Super Speed (or the modern clones thereof) but something with enough weight to promote respect and a delicate hand (as opposed to shaving with carts). The WEISHI Butterfly Chrome is $17 on 'zon.
2. For blades I feel divided--contrary to the advice of this forum, I think the average beginning shaver should stick with 1 reliable/trusted brand of blade for several weeks or months until their skill has developed. I think dipping into "blade samples" too early can muddy the building of "skill" --however blades are the cheapest/easiest way to add variety to a sparse beginner's kit. Using @amdamsky rules I'd do 100pk of AstraSP's for $9
3. Gotta be a synth for the starter, it's the best value and more foolproof than animal fibers. There's a RR Plissoft on 'zon for $19
4. Arko is the obvious choice for soap, $8/3
5. Probably a balm rather than aftershave, I agree with Nivea but would choose sensitive. $7 at target.

$60 total for the kit. I just spent that much on a brush last week lol

A Tech or SuperSpeed, Personna Lab Blues (seem to have the widest fan base), a VDH boar brush (cheap, widely available) and Williams. Or take the lather-making out of the equation and suggest canned foam, maybe Foamy or Barbasol. Finish with the classic Old Spice.

Last edited:
Good and low cost double edge….. let’s do this.
View attachment 1586557
King C Gilette double edge (€8,99)
6F78D1A3-0B74-41CF-BDCB-36B035B63B8E.jpeg

100 fine Bolzano blades (€16,85)
7C520973-E327-4693-902D-3C877E908AF6.jpeg

Proraso red will set us back another €3,85
E9224249-D6C1-4CB9-AA6C-C821696B9416.jpeg

This asks for a sturdy boar brush @ €4,25
481CCB96-B986-4BD7-ABEF-9C0429A4A9D8.jpeg

and some nice aftershave to top it off for €12,95.

A nice set that will give joy, not skimping on quality & will last for in total €46,89

Razor: Rockwell 6c ~$60
Blades: Gillette Silver Blue ~$15 (sampler is a better choice)
Brush: Stirling Soap Co. 24mm or 26mm synthetic ~$15
Soap: Naked and Smooth (unscented) by Stirling Soap Co. -$14
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer ~$8

~$120 +/- shipping (the multi plate razor is worth the expense)

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
  1. Shave-ready Gold Dollar 66 or Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (about USD 50).
  2. 60mm wide calf-hide/denim strop (about USD 12).
  3. Chinese synthetic badger-hair brush (about USD 3).
  4. 2 x 65g tubes of Palmolive shaving cream (about USD 4).
All prices include shipping, except the cream that should be available locally.

The perfect kit for a beginner into traditional wet shaving. All costing under USD 70. It should be sufficient for a couple of hundred shaves before the edge will need refreshing and more cream.

I only wish I had listened to me SR shaving uncle and had something like the above in my mid teens.

The perfect kit for a beginner into traditional wet shaving. All costing under USD 70. It should be sufficient for a couple of hundred shaves before the edge will need refreshing and more cream.

I only wish I had listened to me SR shaving uncle and had something like the above in my mid teens.
A straight razor? Don't you think throwing someone in the deep end?

Merkur 34 C $40
A solid sampler pack, sorry but 100 of one type of blade is not making the newbie any favor. $20
Semogue 1305 (not a synthetic but this is a soft brush in my opinion) $20
Proraso Blue cream and aftershave balm $10 and $15
Clubman pinaud $9
Alum block , because there will be cuts and nicks $7

Well If I am going to offer a kit to a friend I will be looking to set them right so I will look for quality product that feels right in the hand the total is $111 if purchased in the Us, oh man European have it so god with cheaper price.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A straight razor? Don't you think throwing someone in the deep end?
SR shaving is not the "deep end". Sure, it takes time and practice to start getting decent shaves but starting without having any other experience is probably the better way to go. Teenagers generally have much less fear when trying something new.

Do you remember the crazy things you did in your teens?

I dare say that per 1,000 beginner traditional wet shavers, "safety" razors probably inflict just as many weepers, nicks and cuts as SRs do.

I like where you are going to with this, I have been thinking of straight shaving but with a GRUYERE barely started this will have to wait a year or so ... there is always next year as they say.

Razor: Gillette King C;
Brush: Yaqi synthetic (any model);
Blades: You should to figure out what works better for you: I would try sharpness blades like Feather, and a few others mild blades like Astra SP or Derby Usta.
Soap: Arko (yeah, the scent isn’t for everyone, but in general it’s a good soap);
Aftershave: up to you. I like Floid, Speick, Proraso Red etc.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A good starter kit for newbie would be some of the following items that I have used and they work fine.
Yaqi Atlantis 24mm shave brush...................$23.51 Canadian > US $ 17.51 excellent interesting synthetic brush.
Yaqi final cut adjustable DE razor ...............$40.07 Canadian > US $ 29.84 great adjustable, very enjoyable IMO.
Razorock stick soap pk of 4, on sale............. $13.59 Canadian > US $ 10.12 lasting a long time with different scents.
Razorock, 100pc Gillette 7 Oclock SS on sale. $13.59 Canadian > US $ 10.12 excellent blade blades by Gillette hard to beat.
'........................................................Total $90.76 Canadian> US $ 67.72
Good starter that is quality and enjoyable package hopefully that will last a very long time IMO.

Last edited:
My KCG razor is working well for me. It seems to be a mild razor, compared to some that I have owned and used in the past. I agree with other posters on not starting out with a 100 blade order. The various sample packs available should give a new DE shaver a satisfactory sample to begin with.

Top Bottom