What's new

What would be a fail proof setup for a new wetshaver? Ideas for father's day gift.

I am thinking about putting a starter kit together for my father for an upcoming father's day.

I started out with an ej89, boar brush and a cella tub, but not long after had an itch to try new razors like merkur 34c, 39c, and razorock babysmooth.

I dont want to give him something thats too aggressive / overwhelming that he will cut his face into shreds, but i dont want to give him something underwhelming either, because then he would feel the same way i felt with ej89 after a few months, so hopefully something in between overwhelming and underwhelming.

Not trying to impress him with super fancy kit, but just want to introduce him to this nice world of traditional wetshaving, so he can for once in life enjoy doing something. He rarely buys anything for him, so hopefully this will be a nice gift that he will enjoy using for a long time.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

You are definitely on the right path - If you want a little some extra *pop*, try and locate a birth year razor.

maggardrazors.com has a starter kit that was gifted to me. Its how I got into wet shaving. I have heard through reviews (I don't know because I have yet to try another razor) that the razor is middle-of-the-road as far as aggressiveness goes, but it seems like a quality razor. That little kit was enough to spark my interest in this hobby.

Nice going on the Father's Day gift. If your father is like me, he wants high quality products that don't cost an arm and a leg. I suggest a DE 89 razor, an Omega S- series synthetic brush, a good cream like TOBS St James, three or four 5 - packs of your favorite blades, and some Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure he'll love the thoughtfulness of your gift.

You can get this kit from Italian Barber. It's now on sale for $75 but the full retail price is $92.
proxy.php

As far as razors I don't think you could go wrong with the EJ DE89 or a Merkur 34c. Both those work well for a lot of people and are pretty forgiving. I like both but personally prefer the 34c because I prefer the shorter handle and the 2 piece design is slightly easier to deal with.

I like the suggestion of a synthetic brush for starting out. No break in, soft and easy to lather right out of the box and inexpensive.

I used to recommend everyone start with the 89 or the Merkur 34C (or the longer handle version of the same razor).

Now, I just say, go for a good one right off. ATT S1 or S2 would be my suggestion. Plus ANY artisan or Italian shave soap that strikes your fancy. If you want to save $, the place to save it is on an inexpensive brush. There are plenty of great brushes under $20. Great soap and great razor come first. A plastic stand for the brush is cheap and convenient and helps it stay dry and clean. As for aftershave - just start on cold water rinse before and after alum bar -- Any alum bar will do, but I like the Razorock one on a stick with a cap as slightly more convenient. That's all you need for a nice starter kit. So You can see my suggestion is to put 80% of your money on the razor. That's all you need for someone to start with, adapt to, and enjoy wet shaving.

You are definitely on the right path - If you want a little some extra *pop*, try and locate a birth year razor.

Alternatively, you could start with a good soap and a brush (and a bowl, if you think he would enjoy bowl lathering).

If he likes that, you can give him a DE razor and some blades for his next birthday.

That is, of course, assuming that your dad uses a cartridge razor at the moment.

Vintage Superspeed
1 Tuck each of Astra SP, Personna Blues, Feather
Omega S Brush
Cheap Salsa Bowl for lathering
TOBS Jermyn Street Cream (just in case he has sensitive skin)
Clubman Pinaud Original Aftershave

If you still have your EJ DE89, but you don't use it anymore, that one will make a great starting razor. The fact that you used it only makes it personal.
For a brush, I would say either a synthetic from Mühle or Edwin Jagger (soft and no break in), or go for the opposite with a boar from Semogue or Omega (soft bristles with a backbone, but needs breaking in).
Shaving soap from Proraso or cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street is close to fail-proof.
Proraso or RazoRock for aftershave would be a good choise.
And as mentioned by others, give him some of your preferred blades.

I'd go to the Italian Barber and get him a RR Mission. It's a quality razor and it comes with a nice selection of blades so he can try several types. Cost is around 20 dollars.

I would definitely consider getting him an Omega 98 shaving brush. Cost is around $14 and it is BY FAR the easiest brush to make lather with on the market. Even a noob can master lather in seconds with that brush. Along the same lines, I'd go for an Italian croap. I find the Razorock soaps to be espectially easy to lather and the cost is quite reasonable.

Add a bowl or scuttle and he'll be shaving like an Italian barber in no time!

When someone does me a favor and doesn't want to get paid for it, I usually give a brush, mug, and soap. I've given away over a dozen ACE Promotional Siltertip brushes (at $30.00 including shipping it won't hurt the pocketbook too badly). At first I gave away Old Spice mugs, but they have gone up in price. More recently I have given away mugs from the 99 cent store, but they seem to have run out of the size I like. For soap I usually give away Col Conk Bay Rum.

I didn't want to start my grandsons on Silvertip for concern that they may tend to abuse them so I gave them some ACE Finest brushes that actually behave extremely well.

Anyway, a decent brush, mug, and soap is a wonderful introduction. I'm not into DE shaving, but once they are into enjoying a great brush, some have moved into DE on their own.

In my opinion, a good brush and soap is the most enjoyable part of the indulgence of wet shaving.

Top Bottom