What's new

What works for me (DE)

I have been pretty inactive on the boards lately in part that I feel I finally found my 'groove'. My desire to experiment and try new products has declined greatly.

I figured I would stop by and say 'thank you' to the community for all the helpful information and answers and share what I settled on in my DE adventure.

Technique:
* Face lather. I started out bowl lathering, but once I figured out how to face lather properly, I never looked back. I just soak my brush for a couple minutes, shake it out (I don't squeeze), then load the brush for about 15 seconds, apply to face, add water to brush as needed.

* I cold water/tepid water shave. I tended to get more irritation with hot water.

*2 pass shave with the grain

* Shallow angle (i.e. blade is closer to parallel /w skin)

* Blade longevity: With fresh blades, try to use minimal pressure. As blades age (around 10-20 shaves), I tend to use a little pressure or heavier razors for more cutting power without any adverse effects. Around 40, I replace the blade as it tends to have trouble consistently cutting the whiskers under my chin.

*Blade buff under chin on 2nd pass (my stubborn area, and it is not sensitive).

Weapons of choice:
* For regular daily shaving: NEW long comb or a Red Tip Super Speed.
* For cutting off 3+ days of growth: NEW SC
* Honorable mentions: Old type, any Super Speed, ball end Tech
* Blades: Personna Lab Blue since I have a 100 pack to get through. Over time I have become less picky about blades. I have a wide variety of blades, but I find that technique and experience generally trumps blade brands.

Soap: Tabac, Williams (I just use modern)

Brush: Omega 10066. I find boar brushes to be much more effective with shaving soaps, plus they're inexpensive. I have a CO Bigelow badger, but I never use it.

Preshave: Cold/tepid water

Aftershave: Pinaud products are my personal favorites (Original, Veg, VI BR, Special Reserve). Honorable mentions: Capt Choice North, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva

Cold weather/low humidity: I use a small shaving of unrefined Shea butter as a facial moisturizer at the very end of my routine.

Have a great day!

I'm glad you found what works best for you. Since you're getting upwards of 40 shaves per blade, you should check out the Excaliber club.

Glad you found what works for you. Finding your groove is what makes wetshaving so pleasurable. You've got a nice collection of razors. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom