What's new

What Whiskey or Bourbon Brand Do You Use For An Old Fashion?

Hey All,

Just a curiosity question: What brand of whiskey do you use in your Old Fashion cocktail?

As for myself....I'm a traditionalist. I DO NOT muddle any fruit in this drink. I usually use Maker's Mark but am curious what you use for the spirit.

No....I do not use a rye whiskey ...like some others do. No simple syrup.....sugar cube.

Throw out the brands!!! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personaly am not really impressed with Makers Mark. I do buy it now and then and I have made Old Fashions with it and will have it on the rocks but usually end up mixing it with Coke and I much prefer Jack in my Coke. Have tried a few in Old Fashions and find my favorite to be Pendleton. Not sure why, it just seems do it for me. I also don't muddle in fruit, I muddle a piece of orange rind with the suger cube and the bitters a little or some times with a dash of the cherry juice from the jar. Then add the rest of the liquids stir add some ice and top with the cherry.

My favorite so far has been Buffalo Trace. Try making your Old-Fashioned with Rye Whiskey. That's mighty fine as well.

My favorite is Woodford Reserve.

But to mix it up, find some High West Campfire. (a blend of bourbon, rye, and scotch) Its awesome in a manhattan.

You can never go wrong with Blantons. But if you don't want to open your wallet that much, you're on a good road with Makers. Have you tried their Makers 46 variety? Exceptional in an OF or a Manhattan.

Not a huge fan of Maker's either (Though somehow I haven't tried Maker's 46 or Cask Strength.). I'll make an Old Fashioned with whatever I have on the shelf, rye or bourbon, but I seem to reach for the cheaper stuff first. Woodford and Blanton's are fantastic neat or in an Old Fashioned (or julep!), but, again, I'd go with Templeton's Rye or Buffalo Trace before reaching for either of them or the higher octane stuff, like Stagg, Jr, or Booker's. I used Evan Williams Black Label until the bottom of the bottle earlier this year, but I'd rather have BT or Templeton's.

Last edited:
We keep a bottle of Woodford Reserve because it's one that my wife actually likes. My personal favorite is Four Roses single barrel.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I use the White label Heaven Hill 6yr Bottled in Bond for all my mixed drinks. It's 100proof so the bourbon really stands out and doesn't get muddled by the mixers. Not to mention it tastes decent and is cheap. The only problem is it has a very limited distribution range. I'm pretty sure it used to be distributed to only 5-6 states. I have to drive to Indiana to pick it up. I drink my other Whiskeys "on the rock" as in 1 ice cube.

Adam

Hey All,

Just a curiosity question: What brand of whiskey do you use in your Old Fashion cocktail?

As for myself....I'm a traditionalist. I DO NOT muddle any fruit in this drink. I usually use Maker's Mark but am curious what you use for the spirit.

No....I do not use a rye whiskey ...like some others do. No simple syrup.....sugar cube.

Throw out the brands!!! Thanks.

Interesting post. For starters I'll say that I am a traditionalist as well, as I use Bulleit Rye whiskey for my old fashioned drinks. Bourbon could be used I suppose if you don't have rye on hand. To me it's like using vodka and olives and calling it a martini, lol---

I'm also a traditionalist in my view because the time honored and time cherished recipe for the drink calls for a twist of citrus rind.

So essentially you like your Bourbon on the rocks with sugar. That sir, is not an old fashioned. It's whiskey and sugar with ice, lol....sweetened bourbon.

If I order an old fashioned, I already know that much of the art and science of making the drink has MUCH to do with dissolving the sugar so it isn't doesn't make a grainy drink or have sugar clumps in the glass. Now I'm not here to tell another man how to drink his whiskey, each to their own, but if it's an Old Fashioned you're after.......you're doing it wrong, lol! It's a cocktail, which means a treat for the eyes and the palate. Bourbon with a sugar cube is a bourbon with a sugar cube. I'm not sure what a traditionalist is, especially beginning with bourbon, putting a sugar cube in it, then calling it an old fashioned.

As a traditionalist, I'd like to wish you a good day, happy shaving, cheers, and enjoyment of your sweetened bourbon. People can debate the yay or nay of fruit, to each their own--- but I'm of the mind that cheap bourbon is sweet enough and good bourbon doesn't need any help going down. ---cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
For an old fashion I would use Four Roses Yellow Label. Good rye content, and smooth for the price. I save the Single Barrel and Small Batch for sipping straight.

Wild Turkey Rye ... my current favorite

My Old Fashioned.

Two sugar cubes
Several dashes of bitters over the cubes
Splash of water, a tiny splash of marachino cherry juice from the bottle
Muddle until the sugar is dissolved. Take your time, there's no rush.
One marachino cherry, "broken" with the muddler but not muddled. One slice of orange. Again, broken, not muddled.
Fill a rocks glass to the top with ice cubes.
Pour Rye over the ice until full.
Stir gently, enjoy.

Yes ... the first few sips are a bit boozy, but as the ice melts it mellows a bit.

Mmm ... I might need one of these tonight.

I always have a bottle of Makers on hand. I like it in my Manhattans. But I also do some Old Grand Dad Bonded, it is cheap and I like the flavor. But I don't make an old fashion much.

Top Bottom