What's new

What were some products you had regretted purchasing?

- Pinaud Clubman
- Pinaud Musk
- Treet Dura-Sharp blades
- AV Blue
- Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave
- Stirling soaps. They smelled like rendered fat that they tried to cover up with various scents.
I've heard that Stirling soaps used to smell like that fat but they changed the formulation and now they smell great! You should give it another try.

Geo F Trumper Limes shaving soap.
Can’t get past the useless bubbly lather, it gets used as shower soap now. Couple of cheap-ish badger brushes which are too floppy for face lathering.
Although I love the object in its little case, I have a 1920’s Gillette Old Type and find it far too mild for my face, loads of fiddling and touching up even with a feather blade, just can’t get a bbs from it.

I’ve had products that haven’t agreed with me (Merkur Progress, PAA slants, and a whole host of blades), but no regrets. It’s all part of the experience. If I hadn’t tried I’d still be wondering!

Well, now that’s a good point. I sure don’t like my Mongoose, and I hated my Razorine. But I guess I don’t totally regret buying them.

This list could go on and on. But some highlights:
-Williams Mug Soap...just sad
-Most of the DE razors I bought and later got shed of. Kept the Muhle R41 and Rockwell 6S though.
-Dovo Sunday Shaver. I could have done better I think
-Mystic Waters soap...never could get it to work properly
-Mama Bear soap. Did not realize it was gonna be glycerine
-The Veg...whatever was I thinking?
-A scuttle. Far too much like work and just added to the bathroom clutter.

A very similar list of highlights for me too, except the mystic waters. never tried it.

what dont you like about the sunday shaver?

Sunday Shaver?
It's ok but for the going price at the time I think I could have done better with a Ralf Aust or for a few $$$ more a Koraat. I bought it thinking it would become a collectible (like the Dovo Palisander). Didn't come to be. But it is a decent shaver. Just don't use it on a
"good" strop. It can scuff things up a tad. I only use a Herold Russian Oil Tanned on this...butt ugly but a fine strop.

Someone reminded me of my worst purchases - both PAA bakelite slants, the Alpha Ecliptic and the double open comb. I hated both of them, especially the Alpha.

RazoRock .70 Mamba, nice razor, very mild, but not efficient enough for.

The most disappointing shaving purchase ever for me was the PAA Starling (version 1). It came with 2 heads. For both, the corner of the heads would scrape my face. Terrible shaves with red marks running down my face.

I had the same experience with that razor.

MDC soap. Totally dried my face.

I've read this from others, as well. A complete mystery to me. I used MdC this morning and was again reminded this is my best soap (out of a hundred or so). Part of what's great about the human condition is we're all subtly different. Carry on, and enjoy your shaving products!

Overwhelmingly - how much money I've spent!

Other regrets (largely focused around scent, which is a big deal for me)-
-various samples that I really didn't care for scent-wise (too many to list)
-Arko and Tabac (really couldn't stand the scents, especially Tabac!)
-Mystic Water soaps (I can't lather them to save my life)
-any Haslinger scent besides sandalwood and sheep's milk (coconut smells flowery, honey smells flowery . . . what the heck?!)
-Parker's butterfly razor (rougher than my other razors)
-Muhle/EJ safety bar and Merkur's open comb - just don't work well on my face, lots of razor burn

Cheap soaps - Razorock, TFS, brushless tubes
Too many vintage razors - Gem micromatics that I rarely use, etc
RR Hawk V2 - just don't use it
Lucky Tiger menthol cream - the jar is giant and takes up space, don't use much
Dr. Jon’s Krampus AS - smells like crap
Not a big regret but my Rockwell 6S, only R6 works for me and not overly efficiently, trying a Feather blade in it today.
Most of this stuff was bought before I found B&B and started looking at modern razors and software.

Injector razor & accessories for it. A total waste of time and money, could not get a decent shave no matter what I did. Anything Bay Rum related - soaps, aftershave/colognes. Just not to my liking. Oh yeah: Shavettes - ugh! What a massacre that was on my face!!!!!

Top Bottom