What's new

What were some of the myths/fibs and lies you tell your kids or were told yourself?

I was told if I swallowed grape seeds the vines would grow out of my ears or if I stared into the wind cross-eyed I would stay cross-eyed. I believed them all!

A friend of mine came up with a good one the other day and told his kids while in the shopping mall, "you see those cctv cameras, they have a direct feed to Santa Claus and he can see eveything so behave or Santa won't be happy"! Presto, no more temper tantrums in the shopping malls.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Kenno:
I don't know if this counts, but remember when I was young, my mom and I traveled to Pittsburg to attend her sister's funeral and my grandmother told me that it was a custom of the familiy that when someone dies and is buried, the windows in the bedroom are opened so that the Soul can be released back to heaven.
proxy.php

Since in our family I have experienced this grief (my Pop and two older brothers), I've always beleived this to be true and has brought me great comfort. I know at first I must of thought that this was either a myth or legend (grandmom's & mom's old wise tales) my mother told us kids (I learned it first hand from grandmom), and I have faithfully passed it down to my kids. :thumbsup:

$grandma-emoticon.gif "A grandma is a mom with extra frosting". Author Unknown

Last edited:
Coffee will stunt your growth.

Don't cross your eyes, they will stay that way.

Don't pop your knuckles, you will cripple them.

Dont.....it will grow hair on your palms!

"If you swallow gum it will stay inside of you for years."

"Don't swallow your gum! Do you want to get appendicitis?!?"

A lot of horrifying urban legends, too many to remember, about kids goofing off and vanishing forever, or suffering some unspeakable fate. I used to sit there, transfixed.

Don

+1
"If you swallow gum it will stay inside of you for years."

"Don't swallow your gum! Do you want to get appendicitis?!?"

A lot of horrifying urban legends, too many to remember, about kids goofing off and vanishing forever, or suffering some unspeakable fate. I used to sit there, transfixed.

Don

Gum sticks to your bones.

Took me years to figure out that there were no bones in the GI tract.
Took me many many more years before I overcame the compulsion to get rid of the gum and just swallow it. Still seems gross somehow, not sure why.

I tell my daughter that if she isn't good Santa won't bring her any presents... Everyone knows he brings stuff no matter what.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
"I just need to rest my eyes for a bit"

"If you run around too much before bedtime you will get nightmares"

"Put some spit on your mosquito bite to kill the itch"

"If you are thirsty swallow your spit"

Man, I was lied to a lot. I was darn gullible too :)