What's new

What we really need in the cart world

At the risk of plugging a product, the Feather FII Neo comes pretty close to a DE shave. It’s a twin blade but does give a DFS. I use the when I travel and don’t want to check a bag. FII Neo

Supposedly, there are single use DE disposables for medical use, but they are only available in packs of 200 or something. That is too many for me.
You will have to glue the head but then it will resemble a fixed blade de

Attachments

• 34FB90F0-984F-42DD-8128-DC95B67C23C7.png
    34FB90F0-984F-42DD-8128-DC95B67C23C7.png
    1 MB · Views: 13

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
And what the OP wants, in my opinion, is a pivoting head Schick Injector.
Basically, but something produced and available in every grocery store and drug store. The premium handle need not be, but would for sure be an option. The refills should be as ubiquitous as any other cart. Mainstream. Mass produced. Nothing artisan, small batch, limited run about this one. I want this to the "1000 free hours of AOL cd" of razors!

So is the need for this product being driven by TSA restrictions for carry-on items?
Not at all. I'm just saying what the cart world need (in my opinion). Not what a DE user or any other format user might like or need for travel.

I'm just talking about building a better cart than what is out there today. If this doesn't come to pass ever, than for me the best cart will have been the Gillette Skin Guard followed by Atta and TracII or similar.

This is not a build the best razor ever for mankind, this is build a damn nice cart. If users of other formats love it or hate it, matters not.

I use SE, DE, Carts and Electric. I like all formats, all types of soap, even canned foam.

Basically, but something produced and available in every grocery store and drug store. The premium handle need not be, but would for sure be an option. The refills should be as ubiquitous as any other cart. Mainstream. Mass produced. Nothing artisan, small batch, limited run about this one. I want this to the "1000 free hours of AOL cd" of razors!

I use SE, DE, Carts and Electric. I like all formats, all types of soap, even canned foam.

I am sure Schick could do this without too much trouble if they thought there was a market for it. I'd love to see this modernized injector for sure. Their "Chick" blades are widely available anyway, but they should just make sure they ship it to Walmart and similar stores on a consistent basis.

And I'm just like you: I use all shaving tools - Straight, Shavette, SE (GEM & Injector, have Hawk 3 on the way, which is an AC SE razor), DE, cartridge (mostly Trac II, but I do have Harry's as well) and an electric (new Braun Series 6). If it can shave, I probably have it and use it. :)

Anything is better than the five blade abominations G******e is selling these days. They want me to shave so close the hair retracts below the skin? “Why more blades matter” Um, that’s just the first step towards ingrown hairs. And then there’s the fact that the thing is so damn dull it drags those five blades across your face like a brick. Yes, give me a single blade cartridge. Please.

Does this qualify?

Have you tried these? If so what do you think of them? I might try these for travel if they are a smooth shaver.

Not at all. I'm just saying what the cart world need (in my opinion). Not what a DE user or any other format user might like or need for travel.

I'm just talking about building a better cart than what is out there today. If this doesn't come to pass ever, than for me the best cart will have been the Gillette Skin Guard followed by Atta and TracII or similar.

This is not a build the best razor ever for mankind, this is build a damn nice cart. If users of other formats love it or hate it, matters not.

I recently picked up the Skin Guard and was quite impressed by it. I've used it a few times when in a hurry because it does a decent job with a single pass and a can of Barbasol.

I haven't used Sensor, since they were commonly on the store shelves but have used the Atra and TracII. Nothing wrong with any of those. For me the improvement would either come from spacing the blades further apart ala Skin Guard or going to just one. I didn't have a lot of clogging issues, but the Skin Guard or Guard cleans up better than those and the further blade placement also gets rid of the lift and cut method that gives some ingrown hairs and other issues.

I also would like the little trimmer edge on the edge of the cart that those older models don't have. That is why I would like a modern single blade cart.

A two blade would be fine as well if done similar to the Skin Guard. That would accomplish much the same and add some price pressure. But like I said in the OP, would likely have a patent challenge from Gillette.

A single blade design should give all those benefits, have no patent issue and would allow for a little smaller head. I really like the head size of the Atra, TracII and Sensor. Very similar to a Schick Injector in size.

atra or was it tracII had a blade gap that would let me put 2 business cards in when I needed to clean them out. That is actually better then you find on a tech. so why bother with other crap that isn't going to happen?

If you need a one blade razor with a lot of blade gap, the only choice is an adjustable injector, or you can get a nice SE razor from the 50s

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If you need a one blade razor with a lot of blade gap, the only choice is an adjustable injector, or you can get a nice SE razor from the 50s

I don't need a lot of blade gap. I have an injector and other SE, but that is not what this is about.

I haven't used Sensor, since they were commonly on the store shelves but have used the Atra and TracII. Nothing wrong with any of those. For me the improvement would either come from spacing the blades further apart ala Skin Guard or going to just one. I didn't have a lot of clogging issues, but the Skin Guard or Guard cleans up better than those and the further blade placement also gets rid of the lift and cut method that gives some ingrown hairs and other issues.

I really like the head size of the Atra, TracII and Sensor. Very similar to a Schick Injector in size.
I highly recommend you try the sensor. when i switched to carts last year i settled on the twin blade carts (Trac II, Atra, Sensor). The Sensor is by far the best for me in terms of closeness and smoothness of shaves with ZERO irritation.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I highly recommend you try the sensor. when i switched to carts last year i settled on the twin blade carts (Trac II, Atra, Sensor). The Sensor is by far the best for me in terms of closeness and smoothness of shaves with ZERO irritation.
Where do you get cartridges from?

Where do you get cartridges from?
I bought all mine of the auction site. IM based in USA so very easy to obtain authentic sensor and sensor excel carts for significantly less than in the supermarkets. i bought a lifetime supply for around 65-80 cents a cart. When in the stores they are around $2 a cart or more.

I only use them for a week but have used one for upto 2 weeks with no problem at all in terms of tugging. The sensor truly is the last best invention by gillette IMO.

Have you tried the Bic Sensitive with the one blade? This is made in Greece and provides great shaves. It shaves similar to the Schick. Bic Monolama are not made in Greece and therefore perform differently. I think they're made in France. I much prefer the Sensitive with the hollow circular handle, it's smoother. Monolama has a squared-style hollow handle. It's easy to distinquish them.

I'm a huge fan of a pivoting head, the reason why my Trac II sat in the cabinet and I used the Atra+ and then the Mach 3 before switching to my DE Merkur. And it's the reason I tried the OneBlade Core but ended up so very disappointed, for reasons the OP mentioned, plus the head is too bulky to shave under my nose.

Someone mentioned a tendency to put too much pressure on the razor. That's correct, but is easily corrected. I noticed the problem and made an adjustment to shorter strokes, stopping before I get to the point of applying pressure.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of a pivoting head, the reason why my Trac II sat in the cabinet and I used the Atra and then the Mach 3 before switching to my DE Merkur. And it's the reason I tried the OneBlade Core but ended up so very disappointed, for reasons the OP mentioned, plus the head is too bulky to shave under my nose.

Someone mentioned a tendency to put too much pressure on the razor. That's correct, but is easily corrected. I noticed the problem and made an adjustment to shorter strokes, stopping before I get to the point of applying pressure.

Yes, you have to put some pressure to enable the OneBlade pivoting head. Just like you do with the carts. Feather FHS blades do not bite, so it's not a problem.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes, you have to put some pressure to enable the OneBlade pivoting head. Just like you do with the carts. Feather FHS blades do not bite, so it's not a problem.
I was able to get a good shave with OneBlade. It does take pressure, but there are many sharper and long lasting blades and a properly designed cart never bites. I think in the US the Greek made Bic Single Blade are called Bic Metal. I believe the sensitive all have the square handle and are made in France.

You may want to look at this. It shaves with 1,2,or3 blades. Uses standard DE blades snapped in half or you can buy half blades. It's called Leaf.
1586852760903.png

I was able to get a good shave with OneBlade. It does take pressure, but there are many sharper and long lasting blades and a properly designed cart never bites. I think in the US the Greek made Bic Single Blade are called Bic Metal. I believe the sensitive all have the square handle and are made in France.
FHS blades are great for one shave anyway. Performance plummets on the second use, unless you have a very light beard. The reason I sold my OneBlade (first ss version) was the expensive proprietary blades. No worth it for just one use.

Two sensitive varieties, one made in Greece and one made in France.
Metal has a metal bar, while the sensitives have a plastic one.

Attachments

• 20200414_120517.jpg
    20200414_120517.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200414_120542.jpg
    20200414_120542.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200414_120427.jpg
    20200414_120427.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200414_120448.jpg
    20200414_120448.jpg