What's new

What we really need in the cart world

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@Nicholas interesting on the Bic's I didn't know there was essentially a sensitive version of the Metal. It's not in the US market. The only round handled Bic's we have are the Metal. BTW, still love that Yellow Lady Eversharp I got from you.

@Nick Styptic While I do like some of the razors that take 1/2 Blades. I have a Focus R48, my want here is true cart. Snap, click, clip whatever, no futzing with blades by hand.

In general, I think a lot of one, two and even some three blade carts have a nice head size. That is certainly an advantage of carts or some SE designs (mostly Injector or AC format) have over DE and GEM style blades. The thinner head is nicely maneuverable. That said, I've learned to shave my upper lip just fine with GEMS, OneBlade and the like. You just have to be a bit more creative. Of course another advantage of carts or SE is the ability to design some angle into the handle for ergonomic purposes.

This is just a though process on "let's make a really good one blade cart. It seems we have really good two blade already (Attra, TracII, Sensor and Gillette Guard - the ONLY knock for me against the Guard is the head is the same size as a 5 blade head). Maybe someday I will try a Sensor again. It's been so long I can't remember. I know the Attra and TracII are very nice, I'm sure it is as well.

But dang it, I want a one blade Attra, TracII, Sensor, etc. LOL

Bring back the Wilkinson Bonded Blade. Having used it when it was availabl, it was a great smooth shave.

I don't need a lot of blade gap. I have an injector and other SE, but that is not what this is about.

improvement would either come from spacing the blades further apart ala Skin Guard or going to just one. I didn't have a lot of clogging issues, but the Skin Guard or Guard cleans up better than those and the further blade placement also gets rid of the lift and cut method that gives some ingrown hairs and other issues.

that is a cut and paste form the post I was responding to,,,, the WHOLE point of which is about blade gap. Sorry but not sorry that you cant keep track of what you are trying to complain about.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
improvement would either come from spacing the blades further apart ala Skin Guard or going to just one. I didn't have a lot of clogging issues, but the Skin Guard or Guard cleans up better than those and the further blade placement also gets rid of the lift and cut method that gives some ingrown hairs and other issues.

that is a cut and paste form the post I was responding to,,,, the WHOLE point of which is about blade gap. Sorry but not sorry that you cant keep track of what you are trying to complain about.
The main reason I like the blade spacing on the Skin Guard has to do with the fact that it gets rid of the lift and cut that is one of the design goals of many multi blade razors. Two blades being further apart (all other things equal) will clog less, clean out easier and so one.

I'm not thinking of blade separation as blade gap. Blade gap is another part of razor design, but it's not used to describe the space between two blades in a cart that I'm aware of. Gap is the distance between a guard / bar / comb and the cutting edge of the blade.

atra or was it tracII had a blade gap that would let me put 2 business cards in when I needed to clean them out. That is actually better then you find on a tech. so why bother with other crap that isn't going to happen?
What crap isn't going to happen?

Last edited:
The main reason I like the blade spacing on the Skin Guard has to do with the fact that it gets rid of the lift and cut that is one of the design goals of many multi blade razors. Two blades being further apart (all other things equal) will clog less, clean out easier and so one.

I'm not thinking of blade separation as blade gap. Blade gap is another part of razor design, but it's not used to describe the space between two blades in a cart that I'm aware of. Gap is the distance between a guard / bar / comb and the cutting edge of the blade.

What crap isn't going to happen?

I've been thinking about giving the skinguard another shot. It seemed to miss hairs in the past but I applied a DE level of pressure and not the slight pressure needed with most modern carts. I've been on a long kick with Electrics and having great results with my easily irritated skin but no matter how thorough I am I always end up finding a few stragglers on my neck when I get to work and it drives me crazy. I've had such a bad history with blades in general (even DE, guard, and skinguard) that I don't want to fix what isn't broken. I'm also currently using a Braun series 3 even though I previously owned a series 7 and 9, both of which missed hairs less frequently. I love the speed, convenience, and improvement in my skin from the Electrics but sometimes I miss a blade shave.

^
I used Braun Series 6 this morning and it is incredible. Smooth and gentle and capable of giving BBS results. I use it wet, with brush & soap/cream.

^
I used Braun Series 6 this morning and it is incredible. Smooth and gentle and capable of giving BBS results. I use it wet, with brush & soap/cream.

Those new Braun designs have been very appealing, the only thing that stopped me so far is that they do not have the pop up trimmer. Not that I have longevity concerns over swapping the trimmer for the foils but I do frequently use the pop up trimmer during my shave to nab my flat lying long neck hairs and having to constantly swap between trimmer and foil during my shave would drive me crazy.

Those new Braun designs have been very appealing, the only thing that stopped me so far is that they do not have the pop up trimmer. Not that I have longevity concerns over swapping the trimmer for the foils but I do frequently use the pop up trimmer during my shave to nab my flat lying long neck hairs and having to constantly swap between trimmer and foil during my shave would drive me crazy.
Yeah, I can see how that can be a problem. What do you think about getting a Norelco OneBlade for that? One head would literally last for a year or more, and you can use it to trim hair in general with the body+face model.

Yeah, I can see how that can be a problem. What do you think about getting a Norelco OneBlade for that? One head would literally last for a year or more, and you can use it to trim hair in general with the body+face model.

Already have one but thanks for the suggestion. Basically, to sum up a lengthy back and forth with both devices: the oneblade never gets my cheeks or chin smooth but does a great job on my neck, the Braun gets my cheeks, chin, and jaw almost glass smooth but misses my stubborn flat lying hairs unless I spend some time with skin stretching and incorporate the trimmer throughout. I hate using two tools for the same job so I've been sticking with the braun due to it's lower annual cost of use and overall better shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I use it wet, with brush & soap/cream.
You sicko! LOL I've tried to use my electrics wet and just don't like it. For me a little Williams 'Lectric shave and dry before any shower is the best shave with an electric for me.

You sicko! LOL I've tried to use my electrics wet and just don't like it. For me a little Williams 'Lectric shave and dry before any shower is the best shave with an electric for me.
I do have Lectric Shave, and it works, but for me it is much more comfortable wet and the shave is closer. Plus, as a traditional shaver I prefer the experience. It’s an amazing shaver either way for sure. I used to hate electrics long time ago, but Series 6 is one of my best “razors” and I have pretty much every shaving system.

sorry, back to the topic now...

I totally get what your saying OP, a spring loaded cartridge that is easily available and pivots. I find that spring loaded blades (ex Mach3, Sensor, SkinGuard) just work. They cut insanely close but never irritate my breakout prone skin. I actually used to remove the top blade on the Dorco Comfort Thin II to get the single blade cart with a pivot but they weren't spring loaded & Dorco discontinued selling them that was a great shave.

Over the years I have come to realise that a single blade (with any set up) works best for me. However, I do value speed and ease of use.

The OP has a good point overall - I think the average shaver would be pleasantly surprised by the good results and lower cost of a solid single blade cartridge. It took me a long time to find a single blade option that required less concentration than a DE. I really love the Gillette Guard cartridge system but I dislike the plastic waste generated by it. I got a Broman a few weeks ago and love the fact that it generates less waste. It shaves really well, but I have yet to find the optimum blade combo. Neither of these options is truly ‘mass market’ though!

Over the years I have come to realise that a single blade (with any set up) works best for me. However, I do value speed and ease of use.

The OP has a good point overall - I think the average shaver would be pleasantly surprised by the good results and lower cost of a solid single blade cartridge. It took me a long time to find a single blade option that required less concentration than a DE. I really love the Gillette Guard cartridge system but I dislike the plastic waste generated by it. I got a Broman a few weeks ago and love the fact that it generates less waste. It shaves really well, but I have yet to find the optimum blade combo. Neither of these options is truly ‘mass market’ though!
In my experience the broman loves the more efficient blades like:
Kai, Bic Chrome, Gilette Nacet, Wilkinson. And none of these I prefer in my de razors?
But it is not a blade difficult razor, easiest I have. And good to clean out old blades. The accompanying perma sharps are not bad either.
Though very mild ones (gilette green) do not work and some just a couple of shaves.
So far if I have to choose I think it is Kai.

Only teeny weeny thingy I can not get to all the stubble right under my nose. I tend to pick a focus dynamic r48 for that. If not it could be my only razor even if I like to shave with a de from time to time

In my experience the broman loves the more efficient blades like:
Kai, Bic Chrome, Gilette Nacet, Wilkinson. And none of these I prefer in my de razors?
But it is not a blade difficult razor, easiest I have. And good to clean out old blades. The accompanying perma sharps are not bad either.
Though very mild ones (gilette green) do not work and some just a couple of shaves.
So far if I have to choose I think it is Kai.

Only teeny weeny thingy I can not get to all the stubble right under my nose. I tend to pick a focus dynamic r48 for that. If not it could be my only razor even if I like to shave with a de from time to time

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know, I have never tried a Kai blade at all - I will give it a go in the Broman! I agree that the Permasharps that come with the Broman work well, and Nacets work well in everything for me! In the future I will perhaps switch to pre-packaged half DE blades, whereas at the minute I am snapping my existing stock of DE blades.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know, I have never tried a Kai blade at all - I will give it a go in the Broman! I agree that the Permasharps that come with the Broman work well, and Nacets work well in everything for me! In the future I will perhaps switch to pre-packaged half DE blades, whereas at the minute I am snapping my existing stock of DE blades.
Derby premium is no slouch in it either and those can be found halved.

Kai is a tad wider this makes them more efficient. And for me they outlast any other blade so far used. 6 weeks plus....

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me, until the perfect single blade cart appears I either use the Gillette SkinGuard which is a two blade that never does me wrong, but is not as close as I'd like or a Mach 3 which is closer and never clogs for me (daily or every other day shaves ).

But I've been spending more time in the DE and SE world these days.

Top Bottom