What's new

What we really need in the cart world

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
A high quality single blade cart. I know the Gillette Guard exists, but I want a nice handle and a head with a spring loaded pivot and so on. For the shaver that wants such, the Skin Guard is the closes option and frankly is probably as good as a single blade as the two blades are so far apart.

Why do I still want a single blade? Well, I suspect anyone that tries to make a two blade with the larger separation of the Skin Guard is in for a patent fight.

One Blade has a single edge razor that pivots and I've used various incantations (not the Genesis). It's a nice razor let down by two things in my estimation. 1. The cost of the blades. 2. The speed at which they dull. 2a. They aren't all that sharp to begin with. Even new blades tugged a bit.

Were someone like Schick or Bic to release a single blade cart and market it two ways. 1. As Gillette has done, easier on the skin, less ingrown hairs and what not. 2. Self deprecating marketing, embrace some of the jokes on the 5 blade behemouth's they've built and have fun with it. Put these up on every screen above every urinal in every bar - that's the place that would work (of course now that has to be in your own bathroom since were quarantined).

Call it the Simple, or Excalibur, or simply "One".

Make it with a very good handle. You know the type. The ones from "G" that are still sought after at auction. That build quality. I think they'd get a whole bunch of enthusiast shavers that want something better than a regular multi blade cart, are sick of being told if it's not DE, it's crap, and don't like the cost of the One Blade but see the benefit AND technological ADVANCE of a pivoting head.

Any decent quality cart as most here know lasts a week or more of good shaves and some much more, not one or two days such as the One Blade. With fewer blades and increased blade life it would be a winner over things like the one blade.

In my mind it's as if the Schick injector morphed into a single blade cart with a pivoting head. How 'bout them apples?

@Chandu, you've basically described what I would really like to see in a cartridge razor. I like the Guard, but I've found the cartridges to be hit or miss from a QA perspective. Make a quality single blade cartridge razor like you describe and I'd be in.

A high quality single blade cart. I know the Gillette Guard exists, but I want a nice handle and a head with a spring loaded pivot and so on. For the shaver that wants such, the Skin Guard is the closes option and frankly is probably as good as a single blade as the two blades are so far apart.

Why do I still want a single blade? Well, I suspect anyone that tries to make a two blade with the larger separation of the Skin Guard is in for a patent fight.

One Blade has a single edge razor that pivots and I've used various incantations (not the Genesis). It's a nice razor let down by two things in my estimation. 1. The cost of the blades. 2. The speed at which they dull. 2a. They aren't all that sharp to begin with. Even new blades tugged a bit.

Were someone like Schick or Bic to release a single blade cart and market it two ways. 1. As Gillette has done, easier on the skin, less ingrown hairs and what not. 2. Self deprecating marketing, embrace some of the jokes on the 5 blade behemouth's they've built and have fun with it. Put these up on every screen above every urinal in every bar - that's the place that would work (of course now that has to be in your own bathroom since were quarantined).

Call it the Simple, or Excalibur, or simply "One".

Make it with a very good handle. You know the type. The ones from "G" that are still sought after at auction. That build quality. I think they'd get a whole bunch of enthusiast shavers that want something better than a regular multi blade cart, are sick of being told if it's not DE, it's crap, and don't like the cost of the One Blade but see the benefit AND technological ADVANCE of a pivoting head.

Any decent quality cart as most here know lasts a week or more of good shaves and some much more, not one or two days such as the One Blade. With fewer blades and increased blade life it would be a winner over things like the one blade.

In my mind it's as if the Schick injector morphed into a single blade cart with a pivoting head. How 'bout them apples?
Interesting idea, have been using the three Gillette 2 blade systems, Atra, TracII, and Sensor which I find give very good shaves and each cart lasts more than a week. I am guessing you have tried some or all of these, what did you think? What could a single blade do better, less irritation, smoother, closer?

I've been thinking the same lately. The guard is a great system but it doesn't have the flash that would make it appeal to the modern us market as well as it does have its limiting factors. The skinguard and I didn't really get along, it missed my long/flat neck hairs resulting in a consistently inconsistent shave as well as caused my skin to break out in patches of small white bumps that no other razor has ever done. No, they weren't ingrowns... They were literally like acne breakouts.

I'm really surprised Bic hasn't made an updated version of their sensitive disposables.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Interesting idea, have been using the three Gillette 2 blade systems, Atra, TracII, and Sensor which I find give very good shaves and each cart lasts more than a week. I am guessing you have tried some or all of these, what did you think? What could a single blade do better, less irritation, smoother, closer?
I haven't used Sensor, since they were commonly on the store shelves but have used the Atra and TracII. Nothing wrong with any of those. For me the improvement would either come from spacing the blades further apart ala Skin Guard or going to just one. I didn't have a lot of clogging issues, but the Skin Guard or Guard cleans up better than those and the further blade placement also gets rid of the lift and cut method that gives some ingrown hairs and other issues.

I also would like the little trimmer edge on the edge of the cart that those older models don't have. That is why I would like a modern single blade cart.

A two blade would be fine as well if done similar to the Skin Guard. That would accomplish much the same and add some price pressure. But like I said in the OP, would likely have a patent challenge from Gillette.

A single blade design should give all those benefits, have no patent issue and would allow for a little smaller head. I really like the head size of the Atra, TracII and Sensor. Very similar to a Schick Injector in size.

I think it's a great idea but I don't care for a head that pivots. I just it's just a matter of personnel preference but I feel I have more control over my shave without the pivot. Right now my favorite cartridge is the Trac II.

I haven't used Sensor, since they were commonly on the store shelves but have used the Atra and TracII. Nothing wrong with any of those. For me the improvement would either come from spacing the blades further apart ala Skin Guard or going to just one. I didn't have a lot of clogging issues, but the Skin Guard or Guard cleans up better than those and the further blade placement also gets rid of the lift and cut method that gives some ingrown hairs and other issues.

I also would like the little trimmer edge on the edge of the cart that those older models don't have. That is why I would like a modern single blade cart.

A two blade would be fine as well if done similar to the Skin Guard. That would accomplish much the same and add some price pressure. But like I said in the OP, would likely have a patent challenge from Gillette.

A single blade design should give all those benefits, have no patent issue and would allow for a little smaller head. I really like the head size of the Atra, TracII and Sensor. Very similar to a Schick Injector in size.
OK that makes sense, wonder if any of the major cart makers tried out the idea and why they never brought anything to market? In the meantime I enjoy using the 2 blade carts along with my DE razors, never tried the Guard and probably won’t bother. If someone comes along with a cart like you describe I would probably give it a try.

Putting aside the obvious diffences of the skin guard vs guard (lube strip vs channels, center vs bottom pivot, etc) one major difference is blade rigidity. The skin guard uses very flexible blades that are supported from behind by two 'fingers' that almost act like suspension and encourage blade flexing while the guard's blade is fastened to the top of the cart all the way across and on the edges (similar to an injector) and has pretty much no flexibility. Beyond that, the guard's blade is set a little more flat/shallow then the skinguard blades.

So, even in cartridge world, we have noticable differences in both blade rigidity and angle.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Focus R48 or R50
I have the R48, but it has two drawbacks for me. 1. The futziness of breaking the blades and loading them properly. They should have just figured out a way for it to take the pre-made 1/2 blades and not rely on the bend in a broken one for proper tensioning. (all blades feel the same in this razor anyway - really!) 2. It's very inefficient. It's like a 6 pass shave and touchups for me to get what I want shave wise.

Broman solves the Pia of blade loading very comfy nice handle not blade picky.
But a big head compared to a r48/50 otoh it does not clog up.
Still a mild razor.
Happy with it but I have thought of getting a leaf twig for under the nose as company, mwah my r48 will do. So I get the idea of a trim blade on a guard cart and a real nice handle.

Ow I do not agree every blade in the r48 feels the same (not in the r50 or a broman either). They are all 3 on the mild side and they are very blade forgiving. You can almost shave with any blade but there are definitely blades I like more and some I bin rapidly because mwah.

Last edited:
I am with shave/brush on this: I don't think pivoting head is an improvement. Non-pivoting head gives you a lot more control and one always ends up using more pressure with a pivoting head, which is not ideal. Basically Trac II is already amazing for everyone who shaves daily (so it does not get clogged easily). Two blades are efficient, the shave is easy and smooth, and the cartridges are very cheap.

For me, the ideal 1-blade razor with a small head is a Schick injector - 1 blade, narrow head like a cartridge, non-pivoting head, light and nimble, cheap blades that come in a cool "cartridge" loader. What's not to like? And what the OP wants, in my opinion, is a pivoting head Schick Injector.

@chuckd Yes I think we need some clarification on this. Any razor with a removable blade is not getting through TSA and the main reason I am watching this thread: to find a single blade razor that is similar to a DE...AND...that can get through TSA.

@chuckd Yes I think we need some clarification on this. Any razor with a removable blade is not getting through TSA and the main reason I am watching this thread: to find a single blade razor that is similar to a DE...AND...that can get through TSA.
Supposedly, there are single use DE disposables for medical use, but they are only available in packs of 200 or something. That is too many for me.

Supposedly, there are single use DE disposables for medical use, but they are only available in packs of 200 or something. That is too many for me.
Not only med versions or big packs
Search on single blade disposables.
Bic sensitive is sold in 12 packs
Kai makes kai-s
Personna makes them

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

Does this qualify?

Top Bottom