What's new

What was your last “new” shave purchase?

@BobbyB , the Vikings Blade Chieftain is a very beautiful razor, the packaging is superb. The leather case with mirror is a nice addition. The packaging is the best part.

The only reason I keep mine is to remind me to watch out for overpriced razors that get little mention here at B&B.

My advice is to ditch the supplied "mild" blades and try BIC Chrome's. They are the only blades that worked in mine.

For the $40 you probably spent on the Chieftain you could have gotten a Gillette Heritage. Or go to Marshalls and get a MÜHLE marked down for $15, and get a Fatip OC for $20............YMMV

Just my 2 cents
I only paid $28 via an Amazon offer, and using my son's prime membership.

New SUPER FORMULA Proraso Red Shaving Soap.

SOTD_2020-02-12_800.jpg

Since joining B&B in late 2015, I started minimalistically, moved on to all the usual ADs (many inexpensive, many not). I am now back in minimalist land and use ONLY my Fixed Five, as shown in the picture (the blade is a Polsilver Super Iridium).

I was excited to hear about Proraso upgrading all of their range. After some searching I found a tub of the new Red soap available here in the UK. (I believe the new range will be available in the States around April.) I love Proraso Red, but the new Super Formula soap just blew my mind. WOW!

I have mentioned the above in several other posts, so please forgive me. I'm just finding it difficult to keep my mouth shut. :blushing:

i bought a merkur futur copy by yintal im going to use that next. my newest shave is with the de89 that i just got. hopefully that yintal one isn't crap i heard they're actually good so idk.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I only paid $28 via an Amazon offer, and using my son's prime membership.
Much better deal than I got. :jump:
My Chieftain was actually my first DE razor purchase, I think I paid $38 and they through in some pre-shave for writing a nice review on Amazon.

I don't have any more BIC's, or I'd send them to you!
What other razors are you using and contemplating?

Much better deal than I got. :jump:
My Chieftain was actually my first DE razor purchase, I think I paid $38 and they through in some pre-shave for writing a nice review on Amazon.

I don't have any more BIC's, or I'd send them to you!
What other razors are you using and contemplating?
I currently have a basic Van der Hagen TTO, and a Merkur 1904 with a Weber BullDog handle. No plans for further razor acquisitions.

I gave into temptation and scratched a couple of itches last night.

- Rex Envoy
I’m fully aware it might be too mild for me, but I absolutely love the build quality, knurling, head shape, and overall aesthetic. It looks perfect.

771065E9-391D-4A55-BBDF-707879F0DEEF.jpeg

- Dorco Prime Platinum
Tossed a tuck into the cart on the way out. I like the packaging, used blade storage, and no wax dots, plus I’ve read they’re fairly sharp. Starting to get the urge to stockpile 1,000s of blades for no reason, and they may be my next bulk purchase.

A5BA65A2-2A82-4869-8FFE-348F9A632EE1.png

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I currently have a basic Van der Hagen TTO, and a Merkur 1904 with a Weber BullDog handle. No plans for further razor acquisitions.
How would you compare the VDH and Merkur to your Chieftain? Is your Merkur an OC?

I spent around $350 USD for my Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB. If I shave with it daily for the next 20 years, the cost per day is .047/day, or less than a nickel/day. I just spent $75.00 the other night on a sushi dinner. Good food, of course; but a fleeting experience, and the cost per day was $75. I could cite countless examples. Even the most expensive razor is a bargain, IMHO.

I like the way you think. Your thought process reminds me of me.

Mine is the Tatara Nodachi razor, purchased in December, received in January. (I’m in the year-long sabbatical.) I find it to be a very efficient, yet mild razor, much like the Paradigm 17-4 or the Rocnel Elite 2019 Aggressive (a misnomer, in my opinion). I’m very pleased to start my fast with this razor.

On vacation in Florida near Disney. Stopped at the L'Occitane store and picked a few things up.
L'Occitane after shave balm
L'Occitane shaving soap and the shaving bowl. Fairly pricey but my wife liked the scent so I got the okay.
IMG_20200217_090848.jpg

Classic Shaving alum block & brush stand. I was wary of buying an alum block because I have sensitive skin on the dry side and it's winter time. However I'm loving the feedback it gives me, it's great for the rare weeper (don't have to reach for the styptic), and a quick cold water rinse prevents any dryness, followed by my usual WH. I love the smaller size and the little case it comes in. This would be great for those who travel.

The brush stand is a no-frills secondary one I use when switching brushes in case one is still damp. It would be nicer if it had more weight for stability but the price was low.
1 8 20 new stuff.jpg

Out of curiosity I bought a Burma Shave brush at the grocery store this morning. I don't have high hopes of it being a good brush but I love the handle colors and it looks nice in my bathroom. I guess there are worse things I could blow $5.96 on:001_smile

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Out of curiosity I bought a Burma Shave brush at the grocery store this morning. I don't have high hopes of it being a good brush but I love the handle colors and it looks nice in my bathroom. I guess there are worse things I could blow $5.96 on:001_smile
If it’s the handle you like you can always buy a higher quality knot and replace it later.

Top Bottom