What's new

What was your first serious watch?

In late 80s in my first private sector job I needed to make an impression so I bought a Rolex Air King from a catalog company in Wash DC, Marcus & Co. (I later found out they had gotten in trouble for selling used watches as new but mine was new). I paid a bit under $1000 for it. Loved the watch BUT it was made a year or two before they made the scratch proof crystals so I'd have to replace the crystal every 4 or 5 yrs. I sold it about 25 yrs later and got $1300. I would have gotten more except for that crystal. A $300 profit. Rolex is definitely a great investment.

The first watches that I bought with my own money were Timex Ironman Triathlons. I bought one in 1986 when they were introduced, then another in 1989 when the first one melted from chemical exposure at work.

Around the same time, I graduated from college and wanted to wear something nicer at convocation. So, I went to Sears and bought a simple Seiko dress watch for $150.

proxy.php

Still works fine. Every three years or so, I install a new battery. Otherwise, it sits in its case.

I know this is old, but I was looking through and had to comment.

My grandfather was an engineer for Seiko and this looks identical to the one on his wrist with which he was buried.

Thanks for posting this. Brought a tear to my eye.

I had a small distribution business for 28 years before Captain's Choice and sold it about five years ago. Then I realized, "Hey, this needs to be commemorated or something." I've never had a watch of any consequence so a watch it was. But which one? I considered them all and when I settled on the one I would end up getting I had to put my hands on my knees at the price. But it had it all - legibility, an amazing heritage, the manual winding, the size, the "good for any occasion" look. It just does not have a bad angle.

For literally three months I read all about this watch and would go talk to the jeweler and try it on, etc. Back and forth I went. Finally it felt right and I got it. They sized it for me and we got settled up. I was just about to leave and on a whim I asked him what the serial number was. He flipped it over and slowly read it to me. I about fell over. The first two digits are the year I graduated high school. The next two digits are the year I graduated college. The next three digits identify our wedding anniversary. The last digit is a zero. Seriously.

I drove home with a big smile thinking, "Okay God, I've got it - thanks for the affirmation!" :biggrin1:

Omega Speedmaster

IMG_3261.jpeg

1997, en route back to Jakarta from a not very good holiday with the former Mrs P, I transited in Singapore. My onward flight was delayed and was in no particular hurry to get to the lounge, so I mooched through the duty free bit and chanced upon the watch shop. I'd been thinking of getting a proper watch for a while and tried a couple of Tags but did not like the clasp, so looked at Omegas. I chose an Omega Seamaster Automatic Chronometer, it cost me about $3k IIRC, and it is still going today, although the metal strap seems inexplicably to have shrunk...

In 1985, I purchased a Rolex Submariner while on vacation in Düsseldorf, Germany. The Mark was at a record low of 3.4 to the US dollar so the watch cost me just $720 dollars. A few years later in 1991, while in college, a roommate stole it. I had forgotten that the safest place for a Rolex is on your wrist and not the bedside table. Today, to replace this watch costs around $12,000. While I love that design, I’m not shelling that kind of money out for a watch.

In 1985, I purchased a Rolex Submariner while on vacation in Düsseldorf, Germany. The Mark was at a record low of 3.4 to the US dollar so the watch cost me just $720 dollars. A few years later in 1991, while in college, a roommate stole it. I had forgotten that the safest place for a Rolex is on your wrist and not the bedside table. Today, to replace this watch costs around $12,000. While I love that design, I’m not shelling that kind of money out for a watch.

A few months back I remember an exchange in the comments section of YouTube regarding the current price of a Rolex.

A wife had taken her dead husband's Rolex to "Antiques Roadshow". It was a 1960s Submariner and she had the receipt showing he had paid about $150 for it, new, in mid-1960s currency. This would come out to around $1500-2000 in today's money.

So where does the $12,000 price tag today come from? Luminous paint isn't expensive. Even sub-$100 Chinese watches have sapphire glass these days. How does one get from a $2000 actual value to a $12,000 price tag?

A Ginault or a high end Steinhart are no doubt closer to what it costs to produce a Rolex.

The first watches that I bought with my own money were Timex Ironman Triathlons. I bought one in 1986 when they were introduced, then another in 1989 when the first one melted from chemical exposure at work.

Around the same time, I graduated from college and wanted to wear something nicer at convocation. So, I went to Sears and bought a simple Seiko dress watch for $150.

proxy.php

Still works fine. Every three years or so, I install a new battery. Otherwise, it sits in its case.

My first serious watch was probably that very same Seiko quartz watch and its current use is about as you described. Before that I had a Seiko self-wind that someone gave me.

Although I think it is possible that in the 7th grade I bought a chrome watch of some American brand, hand wound, with my own money. I have no idea what happened to it. I remember that it was not very water resistant and the crystal got scrapped up easily. After a while it did not keep very good time!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I purchased this one in 1997 and still wear it as my daily driver.

1598380220498.png

About a year or two earlier, 1995-96, my brother-in-law was nice enough to gift me this when he upgraded to a Rolex. I wore it when I got married (that same brother-in-law was the minster who performed the ceremony) and I still wear it, usually on weekends. My wife recently replaced the band as a gift (second time I've needed to replace it in about 25 years)

1598380967451.png

Marketing the brand. Nobody does it better than Rolex.

Definitely in the watch world, but I'd say Apple is the king of marketing. People literally camp out to have the "opportunity" to pay ridiculous prices for the newest pocket telephone, and don't get me started on their computers.

First an Omega Speedmaster, then a Rolex oysterdate, then I got a Rolex Submariner.
Now I have nothing, sold them all, next watch will be a Patek Philippe, when I have the money for that lol. Not sure what Patek I want yet though.

Top Bottom