What's new

What Was Your First Fountain Pen & How Old Were You When You Got It?

Probably in my twenties (over 40 years ago), though I can't be sure, and no longer have the pen. I'm sure it was an inexpensive pen or I would have kept it.

About 15 years ago (guess) I bought a Zebra cartridge fountain pen, installed the cartridge and threw it in a drawer until just a few weeks ago. Took it out and scratched out some notes. Surprisingly, it still writes.

Recently, I have jumped back in, and purchased several entry-level pens, including Lamy, Pilot, and TWSBI.

Waterman Phileas. I was in the sixth grade. Still have it. A gift from dad that I don't use as often any more but appreciate it nonetheless.

I bought a Parker Duofold when I was 11 years old, gave it away 50 years later when I temporarily lost the use of my right arm.

I had a few Parker 51 when I was at school and learned how to take them apart, despite this skill I was given a Parker 61 because I couldn't work out how to fill it!

I also had a Sheaffer Dolphin but it couldn't stand up to school use, the section cracked.

The one pen that was tough enough for a rough schoolboy was a Parker 45, not sure that there is anything stronger or more suitable made today.

A red Sheaffer in the mid-fifties when I was in the Fourth Grade. My mother had a very nice pen, I don't remember what brand, a wedding present with inlaid mother-of-pearl. Ballpoint pens were leaky and unreliable back then. I had some cartridge pens later, and a Rapidiograph loaded up with India ink in engineering school (and a Post Versalog Slide Rule too of course). A few years later I got interested in Italic script and bought a set of wide tipped pens for that. But the entire rest of my life I spent pounding on a keyboard.

Sigh.

My first was a low end Waterman when I had some excess credit at the campus bookstore during residency (about 26). I used it as if it was an ascot tie or a fedora, that is as a conversation starter, but of course it revealed the joy in writing (since that's what they do).

I used various unknown fountain pens whilst in middle and secondary school. In my teens I was using a Parker Vector FP. I have bought other FP's in adulthood, mainly Lamy and most recently a Parker 51...

I received my first fountain pen in 1968, my junior year in high-school, Louisville, Kentucky, from the Kentucky Pen shop. The pen was filled from bottle ink using the leaver on the side. It was a gift from mom for helping her move some heavy furniture around our house, and improving my grades in several classes.

October 2022, I was 53. Two Pilot Kakunos, one F and one M, and a Pilot Varstity, which I promptly lost. Then I went to the Ohio Pen Show about two weeks later, and bought a Lamy Vista and Filofax notebook gift set. Fast forward to today (age 54), and I now have, in addition to the others, four Pilot Metropolitans, a second Lamy Vista, and a TWSBI Eco. Oh, and a Sailor Compass that shot out of my hand and hit the hardwood floor nib down (of course), about a week after I got it.

I received my first fountain pen in 1968, my junior year in high-school, Louisville, Kentucky, from the Kentucky Pen shop. The pen was filled from bottle ink using the leaver on the side. It was a gift from mom for helping her move some heavy furniture around our house, and improving my grades in several classes.
Was it an Esterbrook?

I got my first fountain pen about 1.5 years ago. I was 49. I wanted to improve my cursive writing. Actually i was never that great at it to start with. I had worked with regular gel pens for a while and then I took the plunge and got a pilot metropolitan fine nib. It soon had loads of company and loads of inks to go with it. I also developed writers cramp which actually is a neurological condition and makes my hand cramp together when I try to write . Makes it impossible to do so. I switched from my main hand to my other hand on the advise of my wife and after some practice I am now able to write my cursive better with my of hand than I ever have in my whole life.

- Boris

This is pretty impressive. Wish I had the patience to teach myself this skill. Perhaps you are ambidextrous and never knew it?
Well i certainly cannot do anything else well with my non-dominant so I'm not sure. I have noticed though that my writers cramp is effecting my soldering skills as well and I had to change up things there as well. While soldering on a circuit board both hands really need to work together. I am really happy to be able to write with my right hand though being a lefty. What bothered me the most was that I could not even sign my signature on documents. I had to learn a new one.
- Boris

Well i certainly cannot do anything else well with my non-dominant so I'm not sure. I have noticed though that my writers cramp is effecting my soldering skills as well and I had to change up things there as well. While soldering on a circuit board both hands really need to work together. I am really happy to be able to write with my right hand though being a lefty. What bothered me the most was that I could not even sign my signature on documents. I had to learn a new one.
- Boris
Bank: We have your signature on file. This is not you.
You: That’s my right handed signature. You have my left handed signature on file. Trust me. I’m me.

I don't remember the brand, but, it was from the PX so whatever pen company they were working with in the late 90's. I was 19 or 20. It was an OD Green cartridge pen. I didn't use it long. I remember getting ink on my hand. Probably got lost when I moved countries. I lived out of duffel bags for a while after the army in Europe. I didn't get another until much later and is documented on the forum. My first vintage pen was a Parker 45 followed by a "51". My first new pen is a Lamy 2000. Now I have a dozen fountain pens and only desire one or two.

Top Bottom