What's new

What Was Your First Fountain Pen & How Old Were You When You Got It?

At age 20 I was intrigued by a red Sheaffer No-Nonsense, which I bought with some cartridges at a local small office supply store. I've since moved on to much better pens, but that was my first.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What Was Your First Fountain Pen & How Old Were You When You Got It?

I was in third grade (8 years old in 1965) when I bought my first fountain pen. Our grade school had a vending machine that had various writing implements. Among these was a very cheap fountain pen. It had a cardboard feed and wasn’t refillable, but they were cheap.

My first significant fountain pen was a black Sheaffer that I got for my birthday in junior high school (7th grade).
A Schaefer cartridge pen. Probably around 1963.

A Schaeffer "School" Fountain pen with ink cartridges...around 1960. The body was clear plastic and came in blue, green, red and clear.
Every kid between first and sixth grade had one or two of these during those years (1960-1965). Those pens and cartridges were inexpensive, but quite good quality. Those days were the best of times.

In the early and mid 1960's we weren't allowed to write with ballpoint pens. It had to be a cartridge pen. These fountain pens were made by Shaeffer, and if we were lucky Parker. There may have been other brands but these are the two I remember. I always had ink on my hands, in my briefcase, on my shirt. Those pens often leaked. One of those was my first pen. I wasn't allowed to use a ballpoint until I got to junior high school.

As I browsed a store shelf this morning selling ink, I was reminded that I started to use fountain pen at 7 in school and it was must likely a cheap Waterman, I stop using fountain pen once I finished school.

like for everybody else in my class my first fountain pen was the Pelikan Pelikano (blue of course) - this was the "recommended" pen at the start or 3rd grade. Most of the approx. 30 blue Pelikanos likely changed between the pupils several times before they were used enough to recognise your own one by the distinctive scratches...
1975 in Vienna, Austria

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Probably it was my Dad's old Military Clip, it was 1969 and I was in 4th grade and BIC pens were pretty new to the market. (Remember the ones with the nice heavy brass ends? I saved some of those for years and would reinstall them on new pens...) Anyhow, our school was a modern school, so we were encouraged to be modern and use ballpoints. But this one kid, Mike Oak, had an old fountain pen and used that. On his "expert" advice I swiped one of Dad's pens and filled it up with some food colour I swiped from the kitchen.

Way to go; get both parents ticked off at the same time! Bam, grounded until the stains all over my hands faded. That takes a while with full-strength food colouring!

O.H.

Top Bottom