What's new

What was your first concert?

n
Saw them in 1990 at RFK. In Living Color opened. The Stones sounded great. ILC, sadly, did not as the union stooges who did all the sound stage work were still trying to get the sound levels right.
I saw the Stones on that tour and the tour when Van Halen was their opener and Halen sucked except when they did the Ice Cream Man. You never know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what you say is fair, Hydguy.

at the '90's Stones show were overwhelmingly middle aged and older

It pains me to think I would have fit that demographic even 30 years ago. At least I would have know who ILC was. Vernon Reid! That demographic probably does not help the atmosphere either.

I should go see the Stones again. I am sure it is a good show. I do have the feeling I would be going to see an oldies review. Although, I suppose I would not want to see a show of all new material. Still from everything I can tell they put a lot of effort into their shows and ought to get props for that.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Paul McCartney and Wings, 1975
Paul-McCartney-Wings-Over-America-Tour-1976.jpg

No part of the show sucked.

I’m not totally sure, but I think it was Joe Walsh and the James Gang. There were seven or so bands playing. I know Steppenwolf cancelled and were replaced by Sly and the Family Stone. Rita Coolidge...and that’s all I can remember.

PS: My sister saw the Beatles twice. She’s still the only person I’ve ever met that saw the Beatles.

Yeah, what you say is fair, Hydguy.

It pains me to think I would have fit that demographic even 30 years ago. At least I would have know who ILC was. Vernon Reid! That demographic probably does not help the atmosphere either.

I should go see the Stones again. I am sure it is a good show. I do have the feeling I would be going to see an oldies review. Although, I suppose I would not want to see a show of all new material. Still from everything I can tell they put a lot of effort into their shows and ought to get props for that.

It pains me that I'm in that demographic now....
but it's been paining me since I was in my 20's... especially my knees.
Where did those years go...

As I said, first concert I went to the headliner was Humble Pie after the release of their Smokin' album, with J.Giles and the Florida Symphony Orchestra as opening acts at a venue usually used for pro wrestling. Since then I've been to everything from major Bowl game hosting stadiums ( Stones, pre sell out Stewart, Fleetwood, Eagles, etc.) to a small bar room with a handful of tables and chairs ( Johnny Winter, Roger McGuin, etc.) To old movie theatres with original theater seating ( B.B. King, CS&N, Neil Young & Crazy Horse and others).

Hall and Oates.
Yeah! Saw them too, not anywhere near my first, part of one of the "Superbowl series of rock" concerts. Nothing to do with the Superbowl. They were a series of concerts at the T Bowl that would start at noon and go till midnight and beyond. I think we went to all of them.

As I said, first concert I went to the headliner was Humble Pie
One of the most underrated and forgotten rock bands. Steve Marriott was a fantastic performer. I take it Peter Frampton was gone by the time of that show. Regrettable, but still one heck of a live band.

I saw HP open for Black Sabbath. I think BS was rattled by HP. HP pretty much ate BS's lunch.

I admit that Jimmy Buffet in Camden, NJ, at the then BB&T outdoor facility, was good on both.
I was at the Gusman Hall show that was part of Buffet's "You Had To Be There" live album. When I bought the album it turned out to be well named because the show was much better than the album lets on. I'm pretty sure that was before the term "Parrothead" was coined, at least I never heard it until long after I stopped listening to him.

Doobie Brothers 1978 Tour, saw them at Barton Hall on the Cornell campus. That sounds so dorky now, but I was a dorky kid.

I also made many, many bad choices. I grew up near Cornell, and had access to a lot of great shows that I missed. That same year, I missed Boston and Sammy Hagar. And I saw the Doobie Brothers. Oops.

Doobie Brothers 1978 Tour, saw them at Barton Hall on the Cornell campus. That sounds so dorky now, but I was a dorky kid.

I also made many, many bad choices. I grew up near Cornell, and had access to a lot of great shows that I missed. That same year, I missed Boston and Sammy Hagar. And I saw the Doobie Brothers. Oops.
nothin' dorky 'bout the Doobies.

One of the most underrated and forgotten rock bands. Steve Marriott was a fantastic performer. I take it Peter Frampton was gone by the time of that show. Regrettable, but still one heck of a live band.

I saw HP open for Black Sabbath. I think BS was rattled by HP. HP pretty much ate BS's lunch.
Yes Peter was gone. I think he left after the live double album at the Fillmore, the concert I saw was after the bad *** "Smokin'" album. Still have both. Somewhere.

Yes Peter was gone. I think he left after the live double album at the Fillmore, the concert I saw was after the bad *** "Smokin'" album. Still have both. Somewhere.
You have the time line correct according to the internet. Clem Clempson, who replaced Frampton, was no slouch. Am I the only one who really likes guitar driven rock, who does not much like Peter Frampton? I suppose I should listen to more of his stuff.

<Marrianne Faithful 2015>

Wow that is some rarefied first rock concert! I think she is great. Apparently almost lost her to COVID recently. "wild horses couldn't drag me away" (a phrase said to be attributed to her after coming out of an overdose)

You have the time line correct according to the internet. Clem Clempson, who replaced Frampton, was no slouch. Am I the only one who really likes guitar driven rock, who does not much like Peter Frampton? I suppose I should listen to more of his stuff.
No you're not. I never bought any of his albums although he was played all the time everywhere you went for some few years.

My first concert must have been Manfred Mann's Earth Band march 3 1983 in Drammenshallen in Drammen, Norway, front and center, drove my friends home after the show, didn't hear a thing they said, that was a loud concert.
1983 was a great year for concerts, Marillion at Roskilde, U2 at Kalvøya and Peter Gabriel in Oslo, great stuff.

Top Bottom