What's new

What was your first concert?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One I didn’t go to, but made a splash at the time, was Nickelback.

Now, I know it’s popular nowadays to dislike NB, but for a while they were really really big. Well, just before they made it big, they were an average band and booked a tour of average towns ... including ours. By the time of the concert, they were the hottest thing in music, and everyone who had bought the $25 tickets were thrilled.

At the time, I didn’t even know who they were.

Vera Lynn...
How f'd up is it that an international treasure.like Vera Lynn, who was so popular during WWII and who did so much work to support the troops at the time and for many decades afterwards with her charitable work, could have just passed away without a peep by the US media.

She was given military honors at her funeral yesterday.

RIP, Vera.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
How f'd up is it that an international treasure.like Vera Lynn, who was so popular during WWII and who did so much work to support the troops at the time and for many decades afterwards with her charitable work, could have just passed away without a peep by the US media.

RIP, Vera.

Dude! I made a thread ... Some of us remember.

I will NOT apologize for the reprehensible U.S. media, however. They know only an agenda; if news doesn't fit, it vanishes.

AA

RIP, Vera.

I don't get too hung up on that stuff. I mean nothing against the lady but our media will make more out of someone like her dying than a WWII veteran, so what can I say. Our soldiers who spent most of the war in Japanese POW camps were ignored for 50 years, as were the personnel of Bomber Command. As I say nothing against the lady, but the media? Anyway.

Dec. 1979 Styx w/April Wine as an opening act. I was 14 and in the 8th grade, our Jr. High music teacher took the 8th grade kids every year to a concert. We pulled up in front of Municipal Auditorium in KCMO in two school buses.
We got out of the buses hearing the older kids say " What is going on? You guys on a field trip?" When we said yes we were we would hear,"WOW you have a cool teacher."

In June 1982 I saw Cheap Trick w/ Saxon and Krokus at Memorial Hall in KCK for $9. It was a Saturday and it was late in the day Sunday before I got some of my hearing back and it was Wednesday when my ears stopped ringing.

Best concert I ever went to was just a few years ago at The Sprint Center in KCMO. I got tickets for Trans Siberian Orchestra for our anniversary. Best show I have ever seen.

KISS at the Des Moines Colosseum about 1976. Drove a car load of guys to the concert. Tickets were $6.00 if I recall. We walked up to the doors and there were groupies here and groupies there with faces all painted up. "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto." Deafening, flames, and more. Lots of flames, lots and lots of flames.

Dec. 1979 Styx w/April Wine as an opening act. I was 14 and in the 8th grade, our Jr. High music teacher took the 8th grade kids every year to a concert. We pulled up in front of Municipal Auditorium in KCMO in two school buses.
We got out of the buses hearing the older kids say " What is going on? You guys on a field trip?" When we said yes we were we would hear,"WOW you have a cool teacher."

In June 1982 I saw Cheap Trick w/ Saxon and Krokus at Memorial Hall in KCK for $9. It was a Saturday and it was late in the day Sunday before I got some of my hearing back and it was Wednesday when my ears stopped ringing.

Best concert I ever went to was just a few years ago at The Sprint Center in KCMO. I got tickets for Trans Siberian Orchestra for our anniversary. Best show I have ever seen.
I've been to many concerts at Municipal Auditorium & Memorial Hall. I still live in the area, do you?

With my parents in the early 70s; the Carpenters at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island.

First show by myself in 1978; the Pousette-Dart Band, Pablo Cruise and Dave Mason at the Broome County Arena in Binghamton, NY.

Downchild Blues Band 1976-77ish in the gymnasium of the local high school in Kitimat. The first 'arena show' was Rocket Norton opening up for Trooper on their "Thick As Thieves" tour in the same town. I was close to the front of the stage for that one. "What is that weird, smokey smell?" I wondered to myself at that concert... lol

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
One of my friends parents are Parrotheads. I was 19 and rode up to Alpine Valley with my bro, my friend, his parents, and a bus full of Parrotheads to see Jimmy Buffett. Freaking wild. Party in the parking lot/ field for like 7 hours before the concert started. Saw all kinds of things. The show was great. Did that 2 years in a row.

Grateful Dead...Alpine Valley Wisco...1979...or was it Journey at Alpine...
Alpine Valley Dead shows were magical. Mine were all in the 80's/early 90's (mainly college years). What a great venue when camping out was allowed. We would have a few carloads of friends drive up and camp out for the the 3 night runs in the summer. Those were great times. This night was particularly special...

IMG_5957.jpeg

Top Bottom