What's new

What was your first concert?

I went to see Pink Floyd at blossom
It was the Dark Side of the Moon tour and I was amazed at all the semi trucks with the album graphics on them and all the equipment ..... WOW . Great concert from the first note to the last 🥰
I saw them on that tour in Philadelphia. Best concert I ever went to!

The Young Rascals.. Oh, about 1966 or so..

If I remember correctly, The Vagrants were on the bill also.. Just about as good as The Rascals

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Either Stecher and Horowitz (duo pianists) or The Irish Rovers ... both when I was a kid with my parents ... don't remember which was first though.

Cambridge Corn Exchange, The Stranglers sometime around September or October 1977. I saw them again there in about 1998, and then just this year in Melbourne in February.

Foghat. Early 1980s. I can't remember exactly what the deal was, but they were going through some changes in band members, and so for a couple of weeks they played a dive of a club out near my little town evidently to tighten up before touring. Good times. \m/ \m/

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had the LP, but never got to see them live. IMO, their song Time Has Come Today was one of the best songs of the late 60s. Most psychedelic rock I can no longer stand, but 50+ years later I still enjoy hearing "Time". You won't find any songs from my old Cream or Iron Butterfly or Vanilla Fudge LPs on my iPod, but Time is on it.

I like most psychedelic rock, but this is pretty high on the charts.

Going back nearly sixty years, Peter, Paul & Mary at Carnegie Hall.

They put on the best live show I ever saw (1965-Louisville). They really knew how to develop a rapport with the audience and the sound system was great, unlike Dylan's mid 60s shows with the Band which drowned out his vocals. PP&M's double "In Concert" CD is a great representation of their shows back them.

I can't remember my very first concert. It was either a Beach Boys, Sam the Sham, and Angels show, or Peter, Paul and Mary in either 1964 or 65 in Louisville.

I just had an old brain cell come to life and remind me that the first live act I saw was Bobby Rydell on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in the summer of 1964. After Rydell's live show they would run the movie, A Hard Days Night. His song Wild One was ok, but I was not a fan. I went to the show for the Beatles movie which had just come out.

I cannot keep the early 60s Bobbies straight: Rydell, Vinton, Darin, Vee, Goldsboro (mostly later I think, as was Sherman). Dylan I can keep straight! :)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I should add that my first college concert (1965) was Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts at--of all places--Oberlin.

I asked my old man about that very thing. He said it was the Beatles' Chevy. I said that didn't make sense, the Beatles were British pop and the Stones (in their early days) were British bluesy rock. He then said you had to be there.
I imagine I'll be having those same conversations with my children in another 10-15 years. Trying to explain why Nirvana or Alice in Chains (Rookie's happy music) was so big.

[Snip] I have asked myself numerous times through the years what the big fascination with the Stones is. Numerous groups are superior talent-wise.

I asked my old man that question. He saw them in 72. He told me they were the Beatles' Chevy. I told him that didn't make sense, 2 different styles of music. He replied you had to be there.

And I know one day I'll be having Ybor same conversation with my children. Dad, why did Nirvana get so popular?

I asked my old man about that very thing. He said it was the Beatles' Chevy. I said that didn't make sense, the Beatles were British pop and the Stones (in their early days) were British bluesy rock. He then said you had to be there.
I imagine I'll be having those same conversations with my children in another 10-15 years. Trying to explain why Nirvana or Alice in Chains (Rookie's happy music) was so big.

After the Victorian era and two world wars probably anything new coming along was going to cause quite a commotion. Vera Lynn and Glen Miller were great and all that, but the yoof were earning and moving on fast.

Top Bottom