What's new

What was your first concert?

Sounds like we're about the same age! MGM recording artists, The Animals, were riding high on "House of the Rising Sun" at the time. Little did I know that their bassist, Chas Chandler, would go on to manage Jimi Hendrix. "House of the Rising Sun" reached #1 on the US Billboard Charts on Sept. 5th 1964, two days before I saw them around Labor Day. Take a look at the Billboard Top 20 two weeks earlier:

View attachment 1168106

The House of the Rising Sun! First song I was able to play on the guitar from beginning to end. I later pawned my guitar to have enough money to stay a week at the beach after graduation and haven't had one since.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I was 12 or 13 y.o. and we (my family) were visting friends in NYC. Dad decided to take me out to the Village one night, kinda late, maybe 11pm or so. So we're walking around just talking and checking things out and my dad stopped in front of some bar/venue, reading the chalkboard marquis in front. He said "c'mon, we're going in". I laughed "what?, I'm too young. What's up anyway?" My dad: "Badfinger!" Me: "Who?" My dad: "C'mon..." So I followed him to the door, he spoke with the nice fella checking ID's, some money was exchanged and in we went. The place was packed, about the only place to stand was about 10ft in front of GIANT speakers. Turns out that Steve Howe (Yes) was playing with the band that night. Now, I knew who Steve Howe was, so cool. Anyway, it was a great show, of course I recognized three or four popular Badfinger songs as they played them, and man I thought they, the band, were awesome. Great night, but my ears rang for a week!.

Last edited:
I had seen a few local bands and some middle of the road groups in my early teens (grew up in a very musical family), but my first 'proper' concert was seeing Oasis in Derry playing fields in 2002 when I was 15 or 16. My cousin drove me and a friend down from Belfast and we had the most spectacular weekend of my life.

I distinctly recall when the group started to play Cigarettes and Alcohol that a local lad (a good bit older) handed me a bottle of what looked like Coke, but let me tell you, it was not coke!!! Turns out it was a locally brewed tonic wine designed to kill brain cells and degrease engines. Needless to say I drank no more but enjoyed the rest of the show, ah to be that age again!

Thanks,

R

I was 12 or 13 y.o. and we (my family) were visting friends in NYC. Dad decided to take me out to the Village one night, kinda late, maybe 11pm or so. So we're walking around just talking and checking things out and my dad stopped in front of some bar/venue, reading the chalkboard marquis in front. He said "c'mon, we're going in". I laughed "what?, I'm too young. What's up anyway?" My dad: "Badfinger!" Me: "Who?" My dad: "C'mon..." So I followed him to the door, he spoke with the nice fella checking ID's, some money was exchanged and in we went. The place was packed, about the only place to stand was about 10ft in front of GIANT speakers. Turns out that Steve Howe (Yes) was playing with the band that night. Now, I knew who Steve Howe was, so cool. Anyway, it was a great show, of course I recognized three or four popular Badfinger songs as they played them, and man I thought they, the band, were awesome. Great night, but my ears rang for a week!.

Do you remember what year it was? There's a listing for Badfinger playing "The Bitter End" in the Village on Dec. 4th 1982 here: Badfinger - https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/Badfinger

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Do you remember what year it was? There's a listing for Badfinger playing "The Bitter End" in the Village on Dec. 4th 1982 here: Badfinger - https://concerts.fandom.com/wiki/Badfinger

Mentioning "The Bitter End" jogged my memory, I'm sure that's the correct venue.

I can't recall the exact year but 1982 puts me at just barely 14 y.o. in December, which is about right. The only thing is, I don't remember it being very cold, and Dec in NYC at night, I'm guessing it was pretty cold. I see they played again at TBE in Sept. 1983, that actually makes more sense (weather wise), and I was still 14 then too.

Edit: The Wiki you linked to makes no mention of Steve Howe ever being part of the band, but I'm sure he was playing guitar in the show I was at.

Last edited:
Bullet for my valentine i do not remember the year but it was the first i think they were with atreyu (i didnt really like atreyu to much)

With parents: Detroit Symphony Orchestra (too young to remember the first time and too many times to count).

With friends: The Doobie Brother 1979 at the old Pine Knob Music Theatre (Now DTE Energy Theatre). That night was a first for a lot of things.

The Beach Boys at the Providence Civic Center in 1975. I had never seen so many people smoking pot in one place at the same time. At one point, I just happened to have a joint in one of my hands when a police officer tapped me on the shoulder and told me to give it up. When I tried to hand it over he said "No, I don't want that, I want your Budweiser." I complied.

In 1977 I went back to the Civic Center and saw Queen. Freddie Mercury was spot on that night and it was one of the best concerts that I have ever been to.

Last edited:
I'll start. The MC5. saw them at a high school on Long Island. To this day, I'd say the second loudest concert I've ever attended. I mean the sound went through your body!
Chicago, Louisville, Ky, 1972. Packed stadium. A few spot and stage lights, bare stage, and 2 hours of incredible music. Following that my next show was Black Oak Arkansas, lol!

Without my parents (or anyone else's): The Judy's, Lamar University, 1984 (I think--could have been '85)

With my parents: I think it was Jerry Jeff Walker some time around 1976.

I suppose it also depends on what is a "concert." My folks took me out to see live music when I barely fit in a stroller. I'm defining "concert" as an event where there was a ticket and the band's or artist's name was what was printed on the ticket.
Oh, Jerry Jeff Walker. I saw him a few years later, maybe 81? It was in October, outdoors in Evansville, IN. Cool and breezy. Nitty Gritty opened. I kinda miss the 70s country rock era of music.

Mentioning "The Bitter End" jogged my memory, I'm sure that's the correct venue.

I can't recall the exact year but 1982 puts me at just barely 14 y.o. in December, which is about right. The only thing is, I don't remember it being very cold, and Dec in NYC at night, I'm guessing it was pretty cold. I see they played again at TBE in Sept. 1983, that actually makes more sense (weather wise), and I was still 14 then too.

Edit: The Wiki you linked to makes no mention of Steve Howe ever being part of the band, but I'm sure he was playing guitar in the show I was at.

Are you sure it wasn't Tony Kaye from Yes? He played on Badfinger's final album in 1981. See the listing here for Tony Kaye: Tony Kaye (musician) - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kaye_(musician):

By mid-1983, Jon Anderson had also joined the band (Yes) as lead singer and it was decided, after some hesitation, to rename this new this lineup 'Yes'. Kaye, in the meantime, had rejoined Badfinger and gone off on a North American tour and was replaced by Eddie Jobson. When this tour ended in October, Kaye accepted an offer by management to return to Yes...

I chuckled when I saw this thread. Just joined the board BTW.

The year was 1969. I lived in Europe (Germany). My aunt (mom's younger sister) lived in London, and I was visiting for the summer "uhrlaub". She was totally opposite from my parents (both military officers), needless to say, she belonged to "flower generation" (she was in her late 30s at the time). She woke up one morning, and said "we're going to the States today". From Heathrow to JFK.....and to Woodstock. We arrived late afternoon on Saturday 8/16. and the Sunday started (for me!) with Janis. I saw her, met her (talked to her, and had my first sip of Southern Comfort!), and the rest (just two days) was a blur. I was just shy of 14YO.

Top Bottom