What's new

What was your first concert?

The same year as my first and I remember Vinegar Joe. Was Robert Palmer with them then? That I can't remember.
Yes he was or so I learned online, back then I knew nothing of Robert Palmer as I was a shallow youth who was more interested in Elkie Brooks.

No you're not. I never bought any of his albums although he was played all the time everywhere you went for some few years.
I am relieved. Certainly cuts from Comes Alive were everywhere at one point. Wikipedia tells me it was on the charts for 97 weeks. I never bought any of his albums either. But I would say Comes Alive is one I could be perfectly happy to never hear again. I do feel somehow guilty and perhaps lacking in taste for not liking his work, though. I think I would like him better without a talk box. Seems like kind of a reasonable guy.

I am relieved. Certainly cuts from Comes Alive were everywhere at one point. Wikipedia tells me it was on the charts for 97 weeks. I never bought any of his albums either. But I would say Comes Alive is one I could be perfectly happy to never hear again. I do feel somehow guilty and perhaps lacking in taste for not liking his work, though. I think I would like him better without a talk box. Seems like kind of a reasonable guy.
My favorite guitarist, rock guitarist, not my top favourite but my favorite underrated never got airtime from the 70s was Robin Trower. Some years back I saw a performance he gave on his 60th birthday. The man still gots it!

I'm going to mention my first two shows because my mom took me and they were both so memorable. The first was in Sept. 1964 around Labor Day. I remember because it took me away from the TV for a few hours and the Jerry Lewis telethon. The 2nd was this show during the Easter holidays of 1965. I was in grade school and already a big music fan and record collector, listening to WMCA most of the day when I was home from school. I wound up on stage with Soupy when they needed kids to dance with him as he sang his huge hit at the time, "The Mouse". In those days, they would do about 4 shows a day and if you came for the matinee, you could move down a few rows after each show. By the 2nd show, we were in the front rows.
paramount_1960s.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
In 1984 I went to my first concert to see Status Quo at the Cornwall Coliseum in St.Austell, Cornwall, England. It was called 'The End OF The Road Tour' and marketed as 'The Farewell Tour - your last chance to see The Quo live!'. They continued to tour with the full lineup until 2013 and still tour, albeit doing acoustic sets only following the death of Rick Parfitt. Here is an image from an earlier 1981 tour at the same venue:

q1.jpg

Bob Dylan at the State Theater in Portland ME in 1995 when I was 16.

He'd been at it for 30 years back then, and he's still at it today. What a legend.

I'm going to mention my first two shows because my mom took me and they were both so memorable. The first was in Sept. 1964 around Labor Day. I remember because it took me away from the TV for a few hours and the Jerry Lewis telethon. The 2nd was this show during the Easter holidays of 1965. I was in grade school and already a big music fan and record collector, listening to WMCA most of the day when I was home from school. I wound up on stage with Soupy when they needed kids to dance with him as he sang his huge hit at the time, "The Mouse". In those days, they would do about 4 shows a day and if you came for the matinee, you could move down a few rows after each show. By the 2nd show, we were in the front rows.
View attachment 1167949
Whoa! The Animals and Soupy! During grade school! I was eight.. What was the Animals hit then? I know that was before Monterey or Spill the Wine.

My very first would have been to see Journey in 1980 at Arrowhead stadium in Kansas City. I only got to go because my older sister needed money for her own ticket so she and her best friend, Molly (who had her own ticket) could go together. Little bro' had the money and so, of course, a little leverage.

I vaguely remember hating the entire experience.

/Not a Journey fan.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Anybody in this group see Little Feat when George was still alive? I am a bit to young but that would have been awesome.

Whoa! The Animals and Soupy! During grade school! I was eight.. What was the Animals hit then? I know that was before Monterey or Spill the Wine.

Sounds like we're about the same age! MGM recording artists, The Animals, were riding high on "House of the Rising Sun" at the time. Little did I know that their bassist, Chas Chandler, would go on to manage Jimi Hendrix. "House of the Rising Sun" reached #1 on the US Billboard Charts on Sept. 5th 1964, two days before I saw them around Labor Day. Take a look at the Billboard Top 20 two weeks earlier:

1602625605752.png

Top Bottom