What's new

What was your first car?

A 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport. Previous owner painted it blue with a Starsky and Hutch white stripe.

Last edited:
1968 GTO, 400 4 speed I bought it in 74 for $400.00, I wish many times I still had it, but I had a lot of fun with it while I did...

Lets not get into cars we have had and could cry now....how about 1966 Tiger with a 260. what a idiot I was !!!!

I was 16 and it was a white over sea foam green 57 belair two door I got in '67. I got home the first night I had it after curfew my dad pulled it for a week. I had it for about a year and sold it to buy a 55 TR2.

My first car was a 1973 Super Beatle. At the time (2002) I thought the car was too old and slow. I later traded it in for a 1992 Subaru SVX, which I got rid of when I had kids. I now realize the errors or my ways, and wish I could afford to replace my old bug. I have seen the new, New Beetle, and may have to take a look at it.

Here's one that you're not going to see everyday!

1961 Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible. (Not my photo, but mine looked just like this one)

proxy.php

1986 Pontiac 6000 LE, my dad sold it to me, after I saved up my money all summer long working while others were playing. Turns out he sold me a lemon, had a bad tranny. He said he did it to teach me a lesson about test driving cars and such. Sooo, I ended up saving the $1,200 to rebuild the tranny, and when I went to pay for the work, my dad picked up the tab, and told me to put that money in the bank!!! Said to save whAt I had earned, and put it torwards something useful. Well some of my buddies talked me into throwing a massive party.......and I was weak. Blew through that cash in one evening!!!! Boy, what an evening though!!! Hahahahahaaa love my dad!!!

And I've never bought another car with a bad tranny either!!! :)

1961 Ford Falcon. I sure do miss it, as well as my granddad who gave it to me. Sold it to a collector who further restored it, and it's still road worthy and looks pristine.

Love reading the specifics of the first cars. Nowadays appreciation like that is something I don't hear a lot of. I just know I had a 99 Chevy S10 in blue...........that's about it. Shared a VW Fastback with my sister though that had a front passenger seat that wasnt bolted down and would slide into the dash when you made a hard stop:wink2:

1990 Dodge Dakota pick-up. 4-cylinder, 5-speed.
Sweet car. It passed down through the family. Dad had it first then me, my brother, then finally my sister. Over the years it had it's side view mirror ripped off while taking down deer stands. We hit a deer in it and mangled the drivers side front and door. Towards the end my dad had to weld the drivers side door so it wouldn't swing open so my sister had to get in the passenger side. Eventually he gave it away to a friend's kid who used it for his lawn "business" to haul around his modest equipment. He hit a deer with it as well, but it got him home and kept on trucking. I don't know what eventually became of that truck but it took four of us out hunting and fishing on NUMEROUS occasions over the year.

I remember one point when my sister had been driving the truck for months if not a year my brother and I asked her if she had had the oil changed.

Nope. Who knows how long that thing went without an oil change. It was a trooper for sure! Got around in mud and snow better than a lot of four wheel drive trucks I've seen.

Love reading the specifics of the first cars. Nowadays appreciation like that is something I don't hear a lot of. I just know I had a 99 Chevy S10 in blue...........that's about it. Shared a VW Fastback with my sister though that had a front passenger seat that wasnt bolted down and would slide into the dash when you made a hard stop:wink2:

Hahah, I currently drive a '98 S-10. Gets the job done! :) Just did front brakes and wheel bearings this fall... alternator was a major pain a year and some change ago. How do they expect a guy to do some of these things on his own? ;)

funny after reading posts and posting about my first car i had a dream about my 70 el camino again lol. i was sitting in it reving the eng. next to some guy i know who drives a 65 or 66 mustang convert :a11:

I had a red '64 Corvair similar to this one, though not so pristine. Only 1 of the dual carbs seemed to work well, and heat consisted of carbon monoxide pumped into the cabin. But I survived. I only had it a year or so till someone ran a red light and hit me in the right rear. Replaced the Corvair w/ a red '68 Impala convertible w/ a 327 cu engine and a Rochester quadrajet carb.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A 1971 black Olds 98 two door with a 455. Friends called it the bat mobile. It got 8 gallons to the mile :biggrin:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Datsun 1200. I think it was a 1972. The car had a massive heart . . . kept going and going like the energizer bunny. Poor little engine kept going in Quebec winters even when not being able to provide enough heat to clear the front window. I still remember one night getting stuck in a snow storm and then trudging my way to a phone booth to call the service station to haul it out of a couple of feet of snow ...no not stuck in a snow bank . .. just snow that was falling. We hauled it back to the garage and they used a blow torch on the fuel line. . . sounds kinda dangerous.

Top Bottom