What's new

What Was Your Cream Today?

Ach Brito Lavanda
635F8B22-64F1-4364-ACCA-85C41856FB4B.jpeg

Much better results

DB678B18-51C2-4A71-B556-DFE355F574BA.jpeg

It may be because of this badger brush so take all of this with that in mind, I had been using a synthetic previously.

It is clear to me that this is designed for and should really only be used for face lathering, I am going to be pretty insistent about that in spite of my previous experience. Bowl lathering overcomplicates things for a cream and in fact made things worse by creating a fluffy lather. The performance is near top level, but different than my favourite creams.

I started out with my usual damp, not wrung, brush. Badger does hold more water and that became apparent and more intuitive to use immediately. Based on previous testing, I scooped and smeared the amount of cream I had previously used into the tips of the brush. This is where it became immediately clear that this is the best method; as I took it to my face, I was able to quickly create an even coating without any additional water like with soaps. Then I dipped the tips under water 3 times, once for each area of my face, and went back to my face to build the lather. There was no need to spend much time getting it sufficiently hydrated nor any need to add another course of water nor spread it around beyond the initial spreading. Just a quick localised lathering and I could feel that it was wet enough.

The consistency and properties are interesting; it is very much creamy if face lathered. Not thick yoghurt creamy, thin. This is quite the opposite, as I mentioned above, from bowl lathering and it does affect performance. There is excellent slickness, but it is a kind of viscous slickness like, and possibly because of the, olive oil in it. It feels very protective, but without the usual thickness necessary to provide that. One surprise was the amount of cushion it gives when buffing and also without re-lathering areas. You can feel when it's providing protection because of it's unique slickness so you can gauge when to add more lather or not.

Anyway, I am not sure where this leaves me. I will continue to test this with other brushes, face lathered only. I am torn whether to fork over the money and order the cream over the (untested) hard soap. The last thing I should mention, this stuff is pricey. Like double the cost of SV pricey and I am not sure that is justified. As is, I am on track to get 7 shaves out of the sample container and extrapolating to the full size yields only 50 shaves. So far these have all been only one pass and virtually nothing left in the brush. Anybody who knows me, knows I am stingy with how much product I usually use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom