What's new

What was your best suprise score from da 'Bay?

So what was your best surprise finding on the Bay when your purchase arrived in the flesh? Examples might inlclude the cased Fat Boy that came with a Red Dot, or something like that.

My best finds so far are:

1. The Milord in the mis-matched case that I thought was a 40's Super Speed. I was buying it for the case.

2. The Red Tip Super Speed in the case that was near mint NOS, with no paint chips.

Any others to share?:001_smile

A Ranger Tech, corner of the case barely visible in a lot containing more junk than anything. Ah, that was a good mail day. :smile:

Fun thread!

One seller piffed me my first single edge Ever Ready 1912 fancy handle! I put it away (was a little scared of the d. thing), then DIrving got to work and well ....

Ctakim, fabulous concept for a thread. This is going to be a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
And well...the rest was history!! I know you love those SEs. I have a number in my collection that mostly were in lots of other Gillettes. I still have to try using them!! I will eventually!:001_smile

A Gold Fat Boy Adjustable is an Executive, correct? That would be sweet! I'm away from home now, but I can add pictures to this thread in the future.

And well...the rest was history!! I know you love those SEs. I have a number in my collection that mostly were in lots of other Gillettes. I still have to try using them!! I will eventually!:001_smile

OMG, do I have to send you some SE blades to get this going? PM me your address, you nut. Let's go already.

A New Standard without a hint of a crack.

Henrique, please give us the details of this serendipitous event!

Henrique, please give us the details of this serendipitous event!

Made me google for that word. :biggrin:

Just plain luck, I guess. I bought it from french ebay early on my modest RAD.

Back then, I wasn't aware that this type of razors were prone to crack because of the hollow barrel, so I didn't even ask about it.

IIRC the razor cost about 10€. I wrote in french asking if he would ship to Portugal, about the payment method,, etc and the seller was always so polite that I would bet that he is an elder.

I would say that the razor is near-mint. The box is right for the model but only so-so especially on the outside.

Only later I realized how rare it is to find this kind of razor without cracks.

Although it isn't earth-shattering, I did buy a Gillette store showcase, and the seller threw-in an empty shipper for a Silver Big Fellow. The shipper is in extremely good shape. Shippers are very rare in any kind of shape on eBay, and I suppose anywhere else for that matter.

Now all I need to do is find the razor and case...

Cheers.

Bought an old silly clothes/shoe? brush with zippered "leatherette" compartment on top, because it included a Gillette Tech & some unused Blue blades, for ~$1:biggrin:- plus shipping of course.:rolleyes:

BUT: The nickel-plated, frosted head Tech is as nice as any pictures, or razors, I've seen anywhere- period. It's really "as new".:wink: the rest of the good news? It's a 1953 Y 2, my "birth razor"!:thumbup1:

You made me think for a while. Then I remember buying a 40's style SS in case with instructions and sealed blades. I thought NOS naturally:rolleyes:
Well I get it in the mail and open the box only to find that not only is it NOS, but it is a NOS V3 coded prototype SS.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I bought a strange travel set, I have yet to see another like it, that had a Gillette New Norfolk with Tuckaway handle in it. I bid to win, but nobody else bid. I was shocked to see I won it for under $10 shipped. This and the fact that my first cased Gillette set was a Tuckaway pretty much did me in.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46852

Top Bottom