What's new

What was the standard mens hat style in the 1950's and '60s?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I know the Fedora was popular back then, but what would you have seen in most of the black and white movies of that era? What was the most predominant hat style in that era?

1574626586897.png

My father who worked as a civilian Mechanical Eng in the Army CoE, wore one daily to work through at least the mid '60s as did many "professionals". They were a white shirt/tie/sport jacket office. He and nearly all the men in the office were WWII and Korea vets so they would of come up in a time when even trades people might of worn them and they were expected to as part of the military uniform. As best as my memory serves, his would of looked like the top of the middle column in the picture above (minus the feather). I can't remember if he had a "summer" weight model; they were always gray with black edging and ribbon.

A lot of men stopped wearing hats. It was usually the older generation that did not feel properly dressed without one.

They were not called Fedora hats, it was just the standard man's felt hat. The general style of fedoras with a narrower brim and smaller crown.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
15746315713411049278702425906289.jpg
15746316219334222277239874710044.jpg

Until the flash went off I had no idea that hat is so filthy, lol!

I believe it was my wife's Gramps's hat. Great guy.

Interesting someone's selecting to wear a hat in the 50's or 60's would be viewed in that way.

Do you wear a hat?

When I was in high school, it was a sign of manhood to have frozen hair at the bus stop.

I live in Colorado now. During the winter, I wear a yellow hi-vis ski hat.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
When I was in high school, it was a sign of manhood to have frozen hair at the bus stop.

I live in Colorado now. During the winter, I wear a yellow hi-vis ski hat.

When I first started school hats were trending out, so never wore a hat at all. It does not get that cold here in NZ so never felt the need to have one either.
Now with the risk of skin cancer being so high here, hats are in again for the kids in summer.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the replies, but I was looking for a name of the predominat style of hat with the wider brim.

Here, in rural Cumbria, many men would have worn a flat cap, not really resembling any of those pictured, which would have been considered rather "posh". Many older farmers still wear these rather shapeless wool caps.

There was a major change during this period. In the 1950s most men in the US wore hats. That changed in the early 60s, supposedly after JFKs inauguration. When he did not wear a hat other men changed also.

Top Bottom