What's new

What was the standard mens hat style in the 1950's and '60s?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, I'm guilty of wearing a ball cap at a fast food restaurant, but not in years.

I just am surprised when I see it happen in a sit down place that isn't a diner, lol.

Now get off my lawn you kids!!!

Indeed. Hat etiquette seems to be as obsolete as many of the hat styles themselves.
Gents (and I use the term loosely), are largely unaware that hats of any kind are meant to be removed indoors, especially in a church, restaurant, theatre, cinema, house, etc.
Seeing men eating at a fine restaurant in a trucker's cap or ball-cap is particularly laughable.
On the other hand, finding a hat-stand, hook, or hat-check girl can be a challenge these days!

FarmerTan

Indeed. Hat etiquette seems to be as obsolete as many of the hat styles themselves.
Gents (and I use the term loosely), are largely unaware that hats of any kind are meant to be removed indoors, especially in a church, restaurant, theatre, cinema, house, etc.
Seeing men eating at a fine restaurant in a trucker's cap or ball-cap is particularly laughable.
On the other hand, finding a hat-stand, hook, or hat-check girl can be a challenge these days!
Well said.

After my earlier bloviating my lovely bride, AKA, War Department, decided to go get some building supplies for our mudroom. Since I was hoping to have her buy my supper, I felt guilty about wearing a nasty old ball cap, so I dragged my lazy carcass into the bathroom and wet my hair and practiced my "Cosmetological" skills on my hair.

Alas, she opted to feed me at home.

She is a great cook, and she's cheaper than I am. I'm one blessed dude.

It depends on your cultural and religious beliefs. The attitudes you describe are mostly typical among western Christian cultures. Eastern Christians have slightly different attitudes. And many Jews and Muslims consider wearing a hat to be a sign of reverence, not disrespect.

Diners probably would be similar to bars if one sat at the counter. When I was in a local historical society, there were photos of men in bars sitting at the bar. They kept their hats on, since there weren't any places for them to put the hats.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

Diners probably would be similar to bars if one sat at the counter. When I was in a local historical society, there were photos of men in bars sitting at the bar. They kept their hats on, since there weren't any places for them to put the hats.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Excellent point!

Late 50's , early 60's we started placing the band bow in the back of the hat , this was really " cool breeze " style in those days.....Bear in mind, in the 50's and 60's there were still hatmakers in every big city. We always had our hats custom made, and for myself I preferred the back bow with feather and nylon/rayon lined brim edge. Topside I always loved the Chicago crimp.....You could always go back to the hatter after the winter and have the beaver steamed and brushed, and a new band and/or lining if needed at very low cost....My one and only hatter, as well as the hatter for all the guys I knew was Andrew Gross, he was the best ... Andrew Gross Custom Hatter - Oakland - LocalWiki - https://localwiki.org/oakland/Andrew_Gross_Custom_HatterView attachment 1039761View attachment 1039762View attachment 1039763View attachment 1039764View attachment 1039765

Great history!! Thanks!! :a14: :a14:

I enjoy and like wearing hats. Flat caps especially. I take them off in restaurants when there is room to set them down neatly. Sitting at a bar I might not if the bar is crowded or not clean. Finding a coat hook is getting rarer every year. Quite annoying...

The one bit of etiquette I can't seem to remember is tipping my hat. It always comes to mind after the fact. In a restaurant, my hat goes on the table, brim up.

My Dad was a traditional dresser, wore Stetson or Borsalino Fedoras virtually all the time, and a Straw Fedora in the summer. His hats closely resembled the Akubra Fedora in the second picture, in black, grey or brown, with a wide satin silk head band.

I wear a near forty year old Stetson gambler, or a twenty year old Akubra Banjo Patterson, or a 100% Beaver Custom Hat made in Denver and in the summer, wear a fifteen year old Stetson Carson Straw. Gotta protect the head and face from intense Colorado sunshine or the cold.

15754852541386791373534955673325.jpg
15754853278007037479725720979121.jpg
15754853890989180618417510227259.jpg
15754854428773388999878648318866.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
and for myself I preferred the back bow with feather and nylon/rayon lined brim edge.

1575572314727.png

Are you talking about the "edging" we see in all but the bottom-most hat in this advert? I can see where that would help with the durability of the hat; my suspicion is that the version without the edging would be considered "dressier".

1575572261518.png

I have transitioned to wearing flat caps rather than a fedora almost all the time. This is far more convenient when driving (maybe back before the advent of proper head supports a driver could wear a fedora; not now.)

It is also far more convenient and sensible to remove the hat, fold it, and put it in a coat pocket rather than look for a safe place for a fedora to rest.

Young ladies in search of 'the right man' would be well advised to take jobs as hat check girls, even if it doesn't pay well. That gives her the chance to give "the wink and the nod" to the guy of her choosing, and she's primarily dealing with only those guys who are "with it" enough to be wearing a hat.

View attachment 1040988

Are you talking about the "edging" we see in all but the bottom-most hat in this advert? I can see where that would help with the durability of the hat; my suspicion is that the version without the edging would be considered "dressier".

View attachment 1040987

I have transitioned to wearing flat caps rather than a fedora almost all the time. This is far more convenient when driving (maybe back before the advent of proper head supports a driver could wear a fedora; not now.)

It is also far more convenient and sensible to remove the hat, fold it, and put it in a coat pocket rather than look for a safe place for a fedora to rest.

Young ladies in search of 'the right man' would be well advised to take jobs as hat check girls, even if it doesn't pay well. That gives her the chance to give "the wink and the nod" to the guy of her choosing, and she's primarily dealing with only those guys who are "with it" enough to be wearing a hat.
Hats H ... J ... and F all have brim liner, with hat F having a very wide liner. The lined brims were considered more dressy , while the unlined brim was more prone to tears and nicks over time.

Top Bottom