What's new

What was the standard mens hat style in the 1950's and '60s?

Men's hats could be functional, but for the most part they were just expected as part of being well-dressed, depending on where you lived.

Wide brims went out of fashion in the 1950's and came to be replaced largely with Trilby's and pork-pie hats, though many other styles were appropriate for certain occupational, recreational and sporting purposes. Hat-wearing declined in the 1950's and went virtually extinct as business attire (in the U.S., at least) in the mid-1960's.

Primarily style, but the warmth was a side benefit. I wear a hat every day as my hair is thinning on top. If you live in a cold climate, your body loses a tremendous amount of heat from your head. My hat of choice is either an Indiana Jones style, western, or on the coldest days, a Stormy Kromer.

Primarily style, but the warmth was a side benefit. I wear a hat every day as my hair is thinning on top. If you live in a cold climate, your body loses a tremendous amount of heat from your head. My hat of choice is either an Indiana Jones style, western, or on the coldest days, a Stormy Kromer.

+1. As I advance in age my hair recedes and my bald spot expands :c17:. During the colder weather, so long as it's not windy, I will sport a trilby style hat. You would not believe how often I get compliments, and sometimes by younger men and women; not the 50+ crowd.

Wearing such hats also is definitely a fashion statement and one that hearkens back to a bygone age. I guess that is why it sometimes elicits compliments.

Tim

+1. As I advance in age my hair recedes and my bald spot expands :c17:. During the colder weather, so long as it's not windy, I will sport a trilby style hat. You would not believe how often I get compliments, and sometimes by younger men and women; not the 50+ crowd.

Wearing such hats also is definitely a fashion statement and one that hearkens back to a bygone age. I guess that is why it sometimes elicits compliments.

Tim

A lot of people like hats. Many are simply too self-conscious to wear them because they feel that it draws attention to them. Or they might feel their head shape doesn't do them any favors in terms of fit/look. In other words, they don't have the confidence or desire to deal with the attention they may receive, whether verbally or just in terms of people taking a second look at them or staring a second longer than usual.

Rontu,

A lot of people like hats. Many are simply too self-conscious to wear them because they feel that it draws attention to them. Or they might feel their head shape doesn't do them any favors in terms of fit/look. In other words, they don't have the confidence or desire to deal with the attention they may receive, whether verbally or just in terms of people taking a second look at them or staring a second longer than usual.

It is interesting what you say because I never wore hats for many years because I never thought I looked good in them. Then, out of the blue, when I was about 52, I tried a trilby hat on in a store in Birmingham called Von Maur. I thought, wow, this looks kind of cool on me. Couple years later and I am up to about a half dozen hats.

Tim

See bolded . . . that's a myth.

Well whether it's a myth or not, without a hat, my head gets really cold and a hat makes it much more comfortable for me when it's cold out. I have noticed that almost everyone around here who works outdoors in the winter wears a hat. They must know something.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well whether it's a myth or not, without a hat, my head gets really cold and a hat makes it much more comfortable for me when it's cold out. I have noticed that almost everyone around here who works outdoors in the winter wears a hat. They must know something.
They know their head is cold! How do you like the Stormy Kromer? I want one! War Department, not so much, lol.
What my brother calls a "pimp hat".

I only wear hats to keep my head warm or to keep the sun off. Hats back in the 50's and 60's really didn't do that very well.
Maybe, but they look so cool! I'm getting sick of the ball cap look all over, even in restaurants!

Late 50's , early 60's we started placing the band bow in the back of the hat , this was really " cool breeze " style in those days.....Bear in mind, in the 50's and 60's there were still hatmakers in every big city. We always had our hats custom made, and for myself I preferred the back bow with feather and nylon/rayon lined brim edge. Topside I always loved the Chicago crimp.....You could always go back to the hatter after the winter and have the beaver steamed and brushed, and a new band and/or lining if needed at very low cost....My one and only hatter, as well as the hatter for all the guys I knew was Andrew Gross, he was the best ... Andrew Gross Custom Hatter - Oakland - LocalWiki - https://localwiki.org/oakland/Andrew_Gross_Custom_Hatter
hat.jpg
hat2.jpg
hat3.jpg
hat4.jpg
hat5.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Late 50's , early 60's we started placing the band bow in the back of the hat , this was really " cool breeze " style in those days.....Bear in mind, in the 50's and 60's there were still hatmakers in every big city. We always had our hats custom made, and for myself I preferred the back bow with feather and nylon/rayon lined brim edge. Topside I always loved the Chicago crimp.....You could always go back to the hatter after the winter and have the beaver steamed and brushed, and a new band and/or lining if needed at very low cost....My one and only hatter, as well as the hatter for all the guys I knew was Andrew Gross, he was the best ... Andrew Gross Custom Hatter - Oakland - LocalWiki - https://localwiki.org/oakland/Andrew_Gross_Custom_HatterView attachment 1039761View attachment 1039762View attachment 1039763View attachment 1039764View attachment 1039765
Wow! Thanks for the memories brother.

I don't wear a ballcap as it serves no practical purpose, generally.

I do have a Stetson straw hat, however, that I do sometimes wear in the summer. It's a Panama hat style.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Late 50's , early 60's we started placing the band bow in the back of the hat , this was really " cool breeze " style in those days.....Bear in mind, in the 50's and 60's there were still hatmakers in every big city. We always had our hats custom made, and for myself I preferred the back bow with feather and nylon/rayon lined brim edge. Topside I always loved the Chicago crimp.....You could always go back to the hatter after the winter and have the beaver steamed and brushed, and a new band and/or lining if needed at very low cost....My one and only hatter, as well as the hatter for all the guys I knew was Andrew Gross, he was the best ... Andrew Gross Custom Hatter - Oakland - LocalWiki - https://localwiki.org/oakland/Andrew_Gross_Custom_Hatter

More evidence on the side of the theory that I lived a good 50 years too late. I would have worn a bowler ala John Steed.

I don't wear a ballcap as it serves no practical purpose, generally...
If you drive a convertible, a cap keeps the sun out of your eyes and keeps your hair from flying around (if you have longer hair). There are other hats that can do the same thing, of course.

They know their head is cold! How do you like the Stormy Kromer? I want one! War Department, not so much, lol.

Maybe, but they look so cool! I'm getting sick of the ball cap look all over, even in restaurants!

I'm in agreement. I used to like ball caps. Can't stand the look anymore. Stormy Kromer is one of the warmest hats I've ever worn. Note of interest....made here in Michigan. Lifetime guarantee and a one-time guarantee against theft! Around here, they have been stolen out of cars and trucks!

Top Bottom