What's new

What was the first shaving soap you ever used? And what was your first "fancy" soap?

First was Williams, still in rotation. Fanciest, so far, is Col. Conk's Lime...just got in a sample set from Trumper's so that will likely change soon. :001_smile

My first shaving soap was the Wilkinson Blue Bowl
My first mid market soap was Tabac :biggrin1:
My first high end - Floris Elite with AOS and C&S next in line........

Is the R&G still available in France? I'd still like to try it if I can find a puck of it somewhere...

It was discontinued and was on my Holy Grail list to get, I stumbled across one and it had SLES or SLS in the ingredients :thumbdown.

Where? :001_smile

:001_huh: Huh? What's that?

On a dusty shelf in a parfumerie in Belgium. Sodium Laureth Sulfate and
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate are foaming agents, just look at any shower gel and they are there and it is the same ingredient used in car washes. I have gone
SLS/SLES free, the only other shaving products that I know contain it are
Proraso/Omega/Bigelow, Santa Maria Novella and Pecksniff's - both formerly on my wish list.

R

rum

On a dusty shelf in a parfumerie in Belgium. Sodium Laureth Sulfate and
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate are foaming agents, just look at any shower gel and they are there and it is the same ingredient used in car washes. I have gone
SLS/SLES free, the only other shaving products that I know contain it are
Proraso/Omega/Bigelow, Santa Maria Novella and Pecksniff's - both formerly on my wish list.

Ah yes, I know now... SLS is a cheap product is it not? I see it on many shower gels too. I'm not sure if it was on these forums that I read about how they're not good for you and so on...

I've been DE shaving for a few months now but had only used creams.

Having just received a few soaps from Honeybee Spa on Ebay I had to give them a whirl... Amazing lather, great smell. Soaking the soap and swirling the brush around adds another pleasurable step to shaving (when I have time).

VDH and Williams for starters

Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns on its way here now. Going to order some Mama Bears Aromatic Pipe Tobacco next week.

At the risk of sounding like President Reagan during some questioning, "I honestly cannot remember!" I do remember in my early College days, visiting my Paternal Grandmother in the Ozarks, and having forgotten to pack whatever I was using at the time (probably the cheapest available:001_rolle I was a college student then after all) used some of her home made lye soap. It produced a marvelous lather, and using my Grandfather's shaving stand, (with a bowl to hold the water, and a magnifying mirror) managed to get a good shave with my Rolls razor.

Later when the ship I was on was in the tropics, I used Gillette mentholated shaving creme from a tube.

Currently I generally use Williams, it gives a nice lather, and has no strong scent (which is my preference) and doesn't cost a lot, and is readily available in my area. (I'm not cheap, just a thrifty Scot).

However, after joining this forum I may try some of the more expensive and "premium" soaps.

Happy Shaving

"shaving"

My first shave soap was also my first 'fancy' shave soap: GFT Sandalwood. My sister got it for me for Christmas a few years back. I hardly use it anymore, as GFT soaps aren't my favorite, but it'll always have a place in my heart.

Top Bottom