What's new

What was the first shaving soap you ever used? And what was your first "fancy" soap?

First was Williams. Way back in the day.
Thought I was big time when I move up to the Col. (Cronk that is)
Ahh. So much water under the bridge.

My first was Williams, probably close to 20 years ago.

Does MWF count as a "fancy" soap? It is my favorite.

Though I'm close to pulling the trigger on the C&S 88 in the anodized aluminum bowl.

My first soap was my first "fancy" soap as well. C&E Sandalwood since I picked it up at the same time as my first brush, a C&E BBB.

My first soap was Col. Conk-Almond
I got it as a freebie when I purchased a DE razor and badger brush
Then I ordered TABAC. L'Occitane Cade, MWF and Cella.
The Colonel cannot compete with tallow!!

Williams was the first. Tried Col. Conk next, but didn't like it. Tabac was the next purchase after I finally threw the Col. Conk away.

Vergulde Hand / Tabac. Vergulde Hand works well from a shaving point of view, but leaves my skin horribly dry. So I passed it on to my dad, who enjoyed himself tremendously with the puck.

VDH glycerin was the first and I still use it from time to time. The first soap I ordered was Tabac, and I use it a lot.

First soap I used was Wilkinson Sword blue bowl. The DE razor had just been delivered so I picked up that soap and the cheap brush from the supermarket to get started. Although the first attempt resulted in useless lather and much blood, the scent of this soap is quite pleasant and reminds me of my first foray into traditional shaving. I can now get a good shave from this stuff which is a whole £1.80 from just about any supermarket.

The first fancy soap must have been TOBS sandalwood in the wooden bowl which my Dad bought me when we visited the shop in London. It's somewhat depleted but I think I will order another when it is finally used up.

First: Technically, Barbershop SS from the kit with the wide mug and brush. Shortly thereafter I tried a puck of Colgate. This was in 1981 (I quit using the brush in 1982). When I started using a brush again in 2008, I started with VDH Deluxe.

Fancy: Tabac was the first one I liked. (I wish I didn't have so much to work through; I'd buy it again.) L'Occitane Cade was the first one I bought.

Last edited:
First: Surrey (now VDH?) glycerin (or was it Deluxe?). It was the first shaving soap and brush I spied at the Walgreen's after I decided to go a little greener with my shaving stuff.

First high end soap: GFT Coconut oil soap purchased for me by my wife on Valentine's Day. She now knows that in some way she is responsible for me finding my way to this forum and my new hobby ("addiction" according to her!), and now regrets the purchase! It was only February that I searched for a review of the Trumper's soaps and found this site and all of the great info!

Last edited:
First soap was either Williams or Colgate, I don't really remember which, although I did prefer Colgate mug soap and used it until it was discontinued.

My first high end soap was AOS Lemon, which I bought in the Las Vegas store while on business there about eight years ago.

First soap: VdH and Col. Conk Bay Rum

First nice soap: TOBS sandlewood, Mama Bears Dragonblood almond and mysore sandlewood, all bought at the same time.

first was a basic wilkinson sword soap puck in a plastic bowl, from my local supermarket. was about £2, and to be honest, it worked just fine. Didnt smell anything special, but did the job it was supposed to do, and got a reasonable lather on.

First fancy soap was Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad in wooden bowl. Lather is a bit richer, and smell is nicer, but functionally its not what i consider a HUGE step up.

Last edited:
My first soap when I discovered DE's was Wilkinson Sword's blue bowl soap. Initial attempts at lather were, with hindsight, pretty poor. However, now I find it's pretty good. My first "fancy" soap was C&E Sandalwood, quickly followed by Kent's MWF

My first was William... my dad kept telling me about how old school it was and bought a couple for me.

First "fancy" was Proraso... if that's fancy! Then Tabac, Irisch Moos, TOBS Sandalwood.

My first soap when I discovered DE's was Wilkinson Sword's blue bowl soap. Initial attempts at lather were, with hindsight, pretty poor. However, now I find it's pretty good. My first "fancy" soap was C&E Sandalwood, quickly followed by Kent's MWF

Almost the exact same route as me :) same wilkinson blue bowl, to C&E

First: TOBS Sandalwood
Luxury: Trumpers Rose followed by Penhaligon's English Fern

Words cannot describe the difference between these. All I'll say is that the TOBS was sold shortly thereafter. I like TOBS creams but their soap just doesn't measure up IMO.

Top Bottom