What's new

What was the first handgun you owned?

That's alotta gun for the first one. I think I woulda been skeered... :)

Nah. I grew up shooting/hunting and my dad has S&W 1006 (10mm) that I really liked. So I bought the Glock right out of college. Besides most factory 10mm is pretty weak these days. I started reloading for 10mm when it was hard to find locally and if you did find it, it was $25 for 20 rounds. Reloading for 10mm let's me go from ~.40 short and weak (40 S&W :001_302:) to fairly stout loads. I spend many nights in the basement with my dad as a kid loading .243, 30-06, .357, etc.

First one I was given was an AMT Automag II for my confirmation in 8th grade. The first one I bought was a Bulgarian Makarov in 2016.

Growing up, my mother didn't like guns, so we never had any in the house until my grandmother passed away. While cleaning out her house, we found many stashed in strange places. The one that was in the worst condition was A Browning FN 1922 that was stored in a plastic bag out in a shed. It was rusted solid. I took my time, and removed all the rust, broke it down, removing, cleaning and reinstalling each part. After all was said and done, I took it to the range and it preformed beautifully.

First handgun: hk usp compact .40s&w
First long gun: double barrel ithica given to me by my grandpa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

First handgun, was a inglis, p35, 9mm, basically a Browning hi power, bought at a pawn shop in Fayetteville NC, when I was at Ft Bragg, with the 82nd. Bought it, and 800 rounds of surplus Brit 9mm. Still have it, that was 1990, still have 300 rounds of the surplus 9 also. Did not know what I had at the time, but the British ammo, was packaged in just brown paper wrapping, and marked L7A1.

S&W Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece. Bought it NIB for $102 and change in 1972 IIRC. Traded it for a NIB Model 19 4" and had to give them $5 extra. I wish I still had both.

Moondancer, the prices of older smith Handguns have gone through the roof, my last purchase, was a 19-4, TT,TH,TS, with trigger stop, and was almost seven. My father in law has a k38 , that I have lusted over for some time.

S&W Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece. Bought it NIB for $102 and change in 1972 IIRC. Traded it for a NIB Model 19 4" and had to give them $5 extra. I wish I still had both.

I think I posted earlier that I had purchased mine NIB in 1968, at a K Mart as a pre college graduation present for myself. I had my choice of two, one standard the other with wide hammer and trigger which I chose for an extra five dollars bringing the total to $68 at the time.

Colt Huntsman .22 LR. Had my name engraved on the blank side of the slide. Bought from my Uncle Paul's gun shop in 1968. Stolen in 1970.
huntsman.jpg

Same here. I wanted something easy to carry while I was working around my acreage in the country. I'd had a run in with a skunk while I was riding the lawn mower and swore I was going to be ready to get him the next time.

Don't skunks usually go the other way when you get close? I had a near sighted gf once who was out one night and went up to and surprised a skunk, she thought it was a cat. She got some glasses after a day or 2 when the smell had dissipated a bit.

1953 1911 a1 wich I still have it was my grandpa's for the koreian war. The first hand gun that "I" bought was an EAA windicator in 357mag.

Don't skunks usually go the other way when you get close?
Yes, they ran away. They always did so faster than I could fetch the .22 rifle needed to ensure they didn't come back. That's why I wanted a pistol I could carry around the acreage. The problem with skunks isn't so much the threat of being sprayed, but that they sometimes carry rabies, so yea, they are a real threat.

The snubbie was far from ideal for the purpose, but I thought it was only a stop gap measure until my 1911 arrived.

For me, a Ruger Security-Six with a 6" barrel in .357. (Hey, it was the 70s.)

View attachment 663834

1000th thread in the forum! :thumbup:

My first handgun was a Taurus original series M905CIA, 5shot snubnose revolver, chambered for 9mm Parabellum via too flimsy factory moonclips. Too flimsy by means of attempts to drop one in the cylinder at 3am, and the cartridges slipping off the moonclip as grapes do off the bunches in the supermarket. On the range, it performed as expected.

Ruger Single Six 6.5 inch blued. Top competitive bullseye shooter at the club used a $1600.00 Walther target pistol with anatomical grips that could be converted from .22 RF to .32 CF. He told me I couldn't shoot anything with an "old hogleg" and that I needed to buy a better gun. That at the very least I should buy a S&W model 41. About two months later he asked to see my target when we went downrange to retrieve them. After looking at it he said, "Ya, you don't need a better gun". He invited me over to his house and taught me how to hand load cartridges and all about the intricacies of target pistol shooting. He was a B.C. champion and I learned tons about the mental aspect of shooting and continued to improve using the lowly single action hogleg.

Top Bottom