What's new

What was Simpson thinking?!

So my first Simpson brush(Berkeley 46 in best) arrived yesterday, right? Well I've just finished using it for the first time and I cannot believe somebody could botch a brush design so badly.

Right off the back it's obvious the handle housing the knot is dense, solid and downright heavy. I'm trying to shave, Simpson...not squeeze in a morning workout. It's even worse after a soak because the excessive amount of hair they jam into the knot takes in a LOT of water that stays in the brush unless I force out.
Anyway, I start lathering and the thing is so soft I can hardly feel it on my face! What am I gonna do if I have to shave without a mirror? Worse still... is within seconds I have a huge mountain of lather that , even after multiple passes, largely just goes down the drain...so not only does is it wasting lather, but making it so fast that it cuts down the duration of my shave.
Now after all that I notice that, once I've finished shaving and cleaned out the brush, that the knot can't hold it's shape for even one measly shave and has started blooming out like a flower.

What a piece of junk...

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
So my first Simpson brush(Berkeley 46) arrived yesterday, right? Well I've just finished using it for the first time and I cannot believe somebody could botch a brush design so bad!

Right off the back it's obvious the handle housing the knot is dense, solid and downright heavy. I'm trying to shave, Simpson...not squeeze in a morning workout. It's even worse after a soak because the excessive amount of hair they jam into the knot takes in a LOT of water that stays in the brush unless I force out.
Anyway, I start lathering and the thing is so soft I can hardly feel it on my face! What am I gonna do if I have to shave without a mirror? Worse still... is within seconds I have a huge mountain of lather that , even after multiple passes, largely just goes down the drain...so not only does is it wasting lather, but making it so fast that it cuts down the duration of my shave.
Now after all that I notice that, once I've finished shaving and cleaned out the brush, that the knot can't hold it's shape for even one measly shave and has started blooming out like a flower.

What a piece of junk...

:wink2:
Wonderfully hilarious!

So my first Simpson brush(Berkeley 46 in best) arrived yesterday, right? Well I've just finished using it for the first time and I cannot believe somebody could botch a brush design so badly.

What a piece of junk...
I have a 46 arriving today, will use it with this evenings shave, great commentary

I have been seeing quite a few good reviews for the Berkeley 46 Best. I currently have, in order of preference (all Best), a Chubby 1, Case 1, Commodore X3, and a Duke V3 (for what ever reason this brush has been a disappointment performance wise, and now it is shedding like a dog). I love both the Chubby and the Case, and have been trying to decide between a Classic 1 and a Berkeley 46. I know the right answer is to get both, but I am definitely leaning towards the Berkeley.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've never owned a 46. I always assumed that between a Duke 2, a Classic 1, an Eagle G2, and two Chubby 1's that I had the small brush thing covered. However, were I not in the GRUMEs these past 3 months I'd be sporting a new 46 and a Commodore x2 at the very least. I've been buying vicariously through seeing you guys buying and enjoying them.

What a piece of junk...
Buy a Yaqi. There way more gooder.

My 46 came today here is a before and after photo
57FA6452-447A-4F0F-8D61-844248F9DB70.jpeg
A3AB10F7-32B4-4E09-9662-B2BD9EAE58F2.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice description. You had me going as well. I have a couple of smaller Simpson brushes that I have to use. So this is what I am expecting to happen? I don’t mind.

Top Bottom