What's new

What vintage TTO Gillette do I have here?

I think the jury is still out on this issue. I have been following Regent Tech sets over several years now and about 7 out of 10 had the "aristocrat" razor , with the uncovered carriers on the side. On the other hand, some sets, including the one shown in Krumholtz, have the Senator razor in them. Unfortunately, I am not a ware of any adverts that present the Regent Tech. It is interesting to note, that the 1946/7 Aristocrat sets came with instructions describing them as "Tech Razors", suggesting a link to the Regent Tech.. AsylumGuido's theory also makes sense.

Thanks, Arik. I have been pondering this for awhile, but this just brought it to the forefront. I have also noticed that very instruction sheet reference. That is what really convinced me. I wasn't going to bring it up until I could find any advertising reference for support, but I have not had any success.

It just makes too much sense that Gillette would promote the three first solid guard (like their establish Tech) TTO's in 1941 as the Ranger Tech (basic nickel plate), Milord/Milord Tech (basic gold plate) and Regent Tech (upscale gold plate) in this manner with a Ranger and a Lord and a Regent having increasing influence respectively in society. This also fits the 1946/1947 introduction of the Aristocrat. Note that the earliest post-Ranger Tech Super Speed was marketed as an Aristocrat Junior, or a step down from Aristocrat.

As for the Senator/Regent Tech connection, I can see Gillette taking the New Improved approach to get more mileage out of the same razor by marketing it in different cases.

You make excellent point. To me, another indication is the case- it matches much better with the gold-plate "Aristocrat" than the silver-tone Senator.

Thanks, Arik. I have been pondering this for awhile, but this just brought it to the forefront. I have also noticed that very instruction sheet reference. That is what really convinced me. I wasn't going to bring it up until I could find any advertising reference for support, but I have not had any success.

It just makes too much sense that Gillette would promote the three first solid guard (like their establish Tech) TTO's in 1941 as the Ranger Tech (basic nickel plate), Milord/Milord Tech (basic gold plate) and Regent Tech (upscale gold plate) in this manner with a Ranger and a Lord and a Regent having increasing influence respectively in society. This also fits the 1946/1947 introduction of the Aristocrat. Note that the earliest post-Ranger Tech Super Speed was marketed as an Aristocrat Junior, or a step down from Aristocrat.

As for the Senator/Regent Tech connection, I can see Gillette taking the New Improved approach to get more mileage out of the same razor by marketing it in different cases.

You make excellent point. To me, another indication is the case- it matches much better with the gold-plate "Aristocrat" than the silver-tone Senator.

That's why I wanted to see Ray's version. The Senator version would have a skinnier handle. I am wondering if the recessed area in the case for the handle fits one and not the other precisely, or if they made a slight change in the interior to handle the fatter upscale version.

I really love the types of threads where the gurus of vintage razor knowledge dive in for all of us to learn from. Looking forward to Ray's pics.. thanks guys!

This would be my guess.....

Yes I am still here. I am packed and waiting...Married, need I say more...:frown:

This is quite illuminating. So this is another case of the razor having different names based upon the box it came in, with the added twist that a different razor might also have the same name. My razor could be a Regent Tech if it came in the leather wood box, or it would be an Aristocrat if it was in the typical Aristocrat box.

So to add to the complexity, is there any chance that this could be the correct gold metal box? This is what I got it in off the Bay!:smile:

Funny, that this comes up now. It was no more than a week ago that I was at Roy's (source for the picture in the Krumholz book) and I saw his Regent Tech case with a Senator in it. I told him: you know that is wrong right? He threw a hissy fit (not really) and cited the Krumholz book. I told him: well yeah the Krumholz book is going to show that this set existed because YOU SHOWED HIM. Anyway, I got him to accept a gold Aristocrat looking razor for his case because, as Arik mentioned, the gold razor and blade bank really does look quite good in the case.

As for ads, these don't cut the cake but they say something:

Here is a Christmas of 1939 ad and notice there is nothing but open comb TTOs: Senator, Sheraton, 1934 type Aristocrat.
proxy.php

Now here is a Christmas ad of the following year. As Guido mentioned, they really push the hierarchical Techs but for some reason (???!!!!) they don't mention an Aristocrat or a Regent (argh!!!).
proxy.php

So anyway, if we are to find an ad showing the Regent we probably need to look at 1941 ads... though it wouldn't surprise me that Pearl Harbor disrupted any nice Christmas time Gillette ads. It is probably safe to say that WWII is the reason these Regent Tech sets are so rare.

Both of those ads are from Collier's Weekly so perhaps that magazine would be a good place to look.... when in the hell is the Library of Congress going to digitize their archives and make them available online?!!

I remember reading the Regent Tech(the Aristocrat type one) was from 41'.

Guido, isn't that one black case you show just one of the two cases for the 30's aristocrat?

I remember reading the Regent Tech(the Aristocrat type one) was from 41'.

Guido, isn't that one black case you show just one of the two cases for the 30's aristocrat?

Yes it is as far as I know. It makes sense though. The cases were left over from the 30's Aristocrat and would fit the new Regent Tech? Heck yeah would be Gillette's reply.

Thanks so much, I really enjoyed looking at those old razor ads. Is the Aristocrat de luxe the same razor as the Aristocrat in those ads that are shown side by side? The only difference seems to be 60 additional blades and another tube of shaving cream!

Thanks so much, I really enjoyed looking at those old razor ads. Is the Aristocrat de luxe the same razor as the Aristocrat in those ads that are shown side by side? The only difference seems to be 60 additional blades and another tube of shaving cream!

yes, I think the razors are the same (1934 type Aristocrat).

As an addendum, I shaved with this razor this morning and it gave a great shave, quite similar in feel to my '48 era Aristocrats. I used a Gillette 7 o'clock stainless blade and some vintage Old Spice soap. It is quite a nice razor!:smile:

Top Bottom