What's new

What video game are you playing?

I started Secret of Mana(Seiken Densetsu 2) on the SNES about a week ago. It's something I completely missed from my childhood, and I tend to like older videogames better anyway.

I've been getting the urge to play some older rpgs. The suikoden games, shining force, final fantasy and link to the past if you consider it an rpg to name most of them.

I've been getting the urge to play some older rpgs. The suikoden games, shining force, final fantasy and link to the past if you consider it an rpg to name most of them.

Before you play anything else, have you ever played Chrono Trigger? If not, DO IT ASAP.

I missed out on a lot of older RPGs growing up. The entire SNES/Genesis era mostly passed me by because we had one of each console and we were kinda poor, so we didn't get games too often. I don't remember where the heck I saw it, but I was watching some kinda compilation or maybe it was a demo from an old playstation magazine demo disc or something, but I remember seeing this RPG that looked kinda like a mashup between seiken densetsu and final fantasy tactics. It looked downright beautiful, but I can't seem to figure out what the heck it was, and it was so long ago, I have no idea what the source of the small video clip even was anymore. I guess I could try searching "top RPGs" or something, but I really don't wanna sift thru countless lists containing a lot of the same games I already know... bah!

Before you play anything else, have you ever played Chrono Trigger? If not, DO IT ASAP.

I missed out on a lot of older RPGs growing up. The entire SNES/Genesis era mostly passed me by because we had one of each console and we were kinda poor, so we didn't get games too often. I don't remember where the heck I saw it, but I was watching some kinda compilation or maybe it was a demo from an old playstation magazine demo disc or something, but I remember seeing this RPG that looked kinda like a mashup between seiken densetsu and final fantasy tactics. It looked downright beautiful, but I can't seem to figure out what the heck it was, and it was so long ago, I have no idea what the source of the small video clip even was anymore. I guess I could try searching "top RPGs" or something, but I really don't wanna sift thru countless lists containing a lot of the same games I already know... bah!

Ya I've played Chrono Trigger. Never did play the Suikoden games cause they were kind of hard to find and expensive. But I got them for cheap on Playstation store a couple years ago just never got around to playing them.

I have a few games im slowly playing through: Inside, Dishonored 2, Darkest Dungeon. But I've been terribly addicted to this little game called Stardew Valley. Its like Terarria, Minecraft, Farm Sim combined and a little bit of Zelda thrown in. Its a great little game for $15

Got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, so I've been digging through some of the freebie games in the store. Really surprising what you can get for nothing. Playing the Monument Valley games atm.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, LoZ: A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Second, & the first Etrian Oddysey are all on hold on the N3DS.

It was probably one of the Secret of Mana games or whatever. They were all made by Squaresoft back then. All the Square games ruled RPGs in the 90s! Maybe Secret of Evermore? One of those SaGa series games? Oh, you said tactical....maybe like Vandal Hearts or Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre? Shining Force? I dunno, that's about all I can remember. Actually these probably aren't all Squaresoft either...I'm very sure actually.

It was probably one of the Secret of Mana games or whatever. They were all made by Squaresoft back then. All the Square games ruled RPGs in the 90s! Maybe Secret of Evermore? One of those SaGa series games? Oh, you said tactical....maybe like Vandal Hearts or Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre? Shining Force? I dunno, that's about all I can remember. Actually these probably aren't all Squaresoft either...I'm very sure actually.

I honestly don't know how it played, I was more referring to the art style and what little bit I could logic out of the few small clips that I saw in the demo. It had pre-rendered backgrounds that looked like what you'd see in a playstation game, but then it had sprites, and while the actual camera angle wasn't really isometric like in tactics, the character sprites, from what I remember were.

It's an old patchy memory though, and it's of a few short clips... I'm sure i'd recognize the game if I saw it again.

Edit:

So I found this video here, but it only seems to have box art as opposed to gameplay footage...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's so hard to call it. So many great JRPG's during that era and I bet I've played at least 80% of the ones in that video at some point even if just a rental.

I remember I used to hate RPGs and thought the whole party/stats/turns system was dorky and lame. Then when I was about 15 I accidentally rented Chrono Trigger from Blockbuster. When I got home and realized it was an RPG I was so mad but I had already spent the $5 or whatever so I said I better make the best of it over the next 3 days. Well, I got hooked! I barely left my room and had to return it before finishing it. I wasn't able to rent it right away again so when I rented it later, of course with only 3 save slots on the battery, other people had deleted my saves. It was a while before I could buy the game and start over. One of the absolute most classic RPGs of all time and one of the most influential and best memories of a game from my ENTIRE LIFE!

I also still listen to the music soundtrack, my favorite being the Chrono Symphonic remix album from the artists at OC Remix. MP3s are available too.

Yeah it's so hard to call it. So many great JRPG's during that era and I bet I've played at least 80% of the ones in that video at some point even if just a rental.

I remember I used to hate RPGs and thought the whole party/stats/turns system was dorky and lame. Then when I was about 15 I accidentally rented Chrono Trigger from Blockbuster. When I got home and realized it was an RPG I was so mad but I had already spent the $5 or whatever so I said I better make the best of it over the next 3 days. Well, I got hooked! I barely left my room and had to return it before finishing it. I wasn't able to rent it right away again so when I rented it later, of course with only 3 save slots on the battery, other people had deleted my saves. It was a while before I could buy the game and start over. One of the absolute most classic RPGs of all time and one of the most influential and best memories of a game from my ENTIRE LIFE!

I also still listen to the music soundtrack, my favorite being the Chrono Symphonic remix album from the artists at OC Remix. MP3s are available too.

I remember renting the old PSX multi disc RPGs for a few days and being lucky to make it to the second disc before I had to return it. :lol:

I honestly wasn't a big fan of the Chrono Symphonic stuff. I like the original soundtrack better, to be totally honest. But there is an acid jazz remix ablum called "The Brink of Time" That's pretty good.

I have been watching a Twitch streamer that plays mostly H1Z1 and has lately been playing the revamped version of Skyrim. The other game I have been watching another streamer play is Witcher 3. I am also really interested in Battlefield 1. But alas all these games are beyond my cell phone to play and I don't really like cell phone games, having manly sized hands and small screens to control things does not work well.

my girlfriend just bought a ps4 and we hunkered down this weekend and played battlefront, and world of tanks. been years since i sat down and played video games

Top Bottom