What's new

What type of reloading press do you use?

What type of reloading press do you use?

• Single stage (O-frame, C-frame, etc.)

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • semi-progressive (manually indexed)

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • progressive (auto indexing)

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Arbor press

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hand tool

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Turret press

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I use a 2 stage homemade press I got for $50 at a local gun store. Shell holders are held in place by set screws, which is really annoying if you reload more than 1 cartridge in one day.

Gotta upgrade myself to a regular manufactured one at some point, but this may be my designated 38 Special/357 Magnum setup once that happens. Pretty sure that's what the original owner/creator did with it.
View attachment 1066414

Wow. That things a monster. I bet it creates a lot of leverage.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A buddy of mine is traveling and living out of a camper in the backend of his P/U truck, but wants to reload. Obviously seriously limited for space and the available counter top space, dining surfaces is not amenable to C-clamping a board mounted press to. Any suggestions? Has anyone reloaded under such cramped conditions? He wants to reload .338 Win. mag., so he needs to use a press with the capacity and leverage to do so. Smaller lightweight presses and hand tools are a no go.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any suggestions? Has anyone reloaded under such cramped conditions?

Thats what the Lee Hand Press was built for. As long as the time it takes isnt of great importance, they do work. Assuming proper diligence in the entire process, they're also capable of very good accuracy.

The downside is when loading longer bottleneck rifle shells. If only neck sizing is needed they work fine, but if full length sizing, its a workout loading 100 rounds lol.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks, but I edited my post to rule out the obvious hand tools and smaller presses. Basically looking for ways to use a full sized press in cramped quarters and few opportunities to mount same. Tall order, I know. Thinking along the lines of a grinder tool stand, needs to be stable but small.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A customized back bumper might be an option so that he can bolt the press to it and then remove it. Other than that I'm not sure. Space is really at a premium in pickup truck camping.

Depending how much storage space he has, he could make a take down bench.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think that Buchanon is the perfect answer! I've told my buddy to check it out, Thanks a lot!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This will big one of my biggest issues. I downsized from a 4 bed 2 story with over 2500 sq ft to a 2 bedroom flat with only 1600 sq ft in a gated community. it has an office/den so might be able to get some type of setup, but it will have to be stream lined and efficient.
You might consider a grinder stand as sold by Harbor Freight, not optimal, but doable if you can't use a dedicated bench.
One of a few options, just add wood:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You might consider a grinder stand as sold by Harbor Freight, not optimal, but doable if you can't use a dedicated bench.
One of a few options, just add wood:

That's a pretty decent idea. I have a huge attic with plenty width and head room. Probably more square footage then the garage, but hot in the summer and cool in the winter.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My buddy ended up ordering the Buchanan Precision Hand Press. He doesn't have anything to load yet, but when he does, I'll report back how it works out for him.

Interesting. Any pics?
It’s an old Work Mate 200. The wide footprint makes it stable.
89323F09-5B2E-4956-A494-C5B173B4D8EB.jpegC234348A-D9C3-4AE9-9D89-4FAEF91E72C7.jpeg

I’ve got multiple calibers of Lee Loaders, a A Lee Hand press, a Lee Breech lock press, A pair of Lee challengers, a Lee four hole turret, and Two Lee Loadmasters.
I also have a pair of Lee Load alls, a Mec 600jr and a MEC 900G.

I have a few Lyman 310’s and other caliber specific ones, as well as a number of roll crimping shotshell reloaders, probably a few more little ones that I’m not thinking of too... I went a bit acquisition disorder.

I grew up loading on the 600jr. We were the only ones in my large family who reloaded anything, and so all I ever knew was loading shotshells. When I started wanting to load .45 colt, I picked up a Lee Loader because it was cheap and I could learn how to load on it. A few hundred rounds on it taught me how to run through the steps and not miss anything, so I bought a Loadmaster. At the time, everyone was out of stock of the completed ones, so I bought a body from a retailer and all the parts piecemeal. I watched YouTube videos on what to do to modify it, but I don’t recall what I might have done. I went with a Challenger anniversary kit next, then another.. for some reason. I wanted more flexibility and bought another Loadmaster, then a four hole... and then I forget the order of the others.

The second Loadmaster was a dog rocket. It refused to run ten shells in a row without a significant bind up, crushed cases were constant. Indexing was constantly off. I took it entirely apart, cleaned it up, lubed it up and reassembled it. Outside of a few small things, I really didn’t see much that would cause it to work poorly. When I got it back together, it worked just as good as the other one, so maybe it just had a careless assembly? The third and fourth Loadmasters were torn down and reassembled before I started using them. I loaned them out a while ago. Maybe I will get them back some day.

My Turret and Loadmasters have LED lights that I installed, and my original Loadmaster has a different knob. Loadmasters have powder cops, case collators, and bullet feeders.

Outside of more presses, I would probably really enjoy a Dillon 1100 press.

I have probably stayed with LEE only because it was all I could afford at first and all my first experiences with them were excellent. When I went to buy more presses, I stayed with them because the prices for everyone else were so much higher... and my equipment has always worked so well.

I do actually have a couple of other presses, but they are antiques purchases and I don’t use them after having issues with the Texan.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That's a pretty decent idea. I have a huge attic with plenty width and head room. Probably more square footage then the garage, but hot in the summer and cool in the winter.

You're not going to want to reload in the attic during summer, that's for sure. Plus, as you already know, the heat can degrade the powder, and I assume the primers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It’s an old Work Mate 200. The wide footprint makes it stable.
View attachment 1068850View attachment 1068851

Nice top on that Workmate! The better the top, the more stable it will be. As you obviously know, storing supplies on that bottom shelf, the heavier the better, will add to the stability as you crank on the press. Some would even add a cinderblock, bag of shot or a bunch of cast bullets / lead ingots to help stabilize the bench. YMMV

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
By the way, if I comment on someone's post like I'm Captain Obvious, it is meant for the non-reloaders who may be lurking and might benefit from some further explanation.

A buddy of mine is traveling and living out of a camper in the backend of his P/U truck, but wants to reload. Obviously seriously limited for space and the available counter top space, dining surfaces is not amenable to C-clamping a board mounted press to. Any suggestions? Has anyone reloaded under such cramped conditions? He wants to reload .338 Win. mag., so he needs to use a press with the capacity and leverage to do so. Smaller lightweight presses and hand tools are a no go.
Have a large bag of sized and prepped cases already primed.
A small press for bullet seating and a few discrete holes for a powder meter.

I use an RCBS single stage press with LEE and RCBS dies.

I enjoy reloading, and I am not in a hurry. I reload 9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357, 32/327, and 308/7.62.

I have to say that my recent purchase of the RCBS bench primer loader was a wise decision.

Top Bottom